cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old dish with strange images -

Trying to learn anything I can about this bowl.  Has no markings at all on the bottomIMG_8173.jpgIMG_8174.jpgIMG_8175.jpgIMG_8176.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

is there a pattern name on the back?  that sometimes gives a clue as to the scene of the transfer.  I see a ca 1860 steamship in the middle.  the cartouches seem to be two classical (mythological) dolphins.  can't make out the other cartouche.  probably english, later half of the 19th centiury.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I interpret the other cartouche as sea nymphs or mermaids and hippocampus (mythological seahorses of which I am unsure of the plural form).

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

there is no marking whatsoever on the back - thank you for taking a look.  The images look like some kind of savages around a fire -

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

thank you - how old to you think this is?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

as noted, second half of the 19th century.  may sound old but there are still tons of 19th century transferware out there.  it is the scene that is important but I have not seen this one before.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Mermaids on sea horses and Roman dolphins.  Not that weird.  Looks like something a Boston or Baltimore shipping magnate would have in the early 1800s.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply