cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help w/Antique Needlepoint Sampler

hi everyone.  i found this piece today.  it was under glass in an old frame.  i think it has an amazing American Primitive look to it.  Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about antique samplers.  a woman in the store who saw me with it was telling me each of the characters along the bottom have meaning.   it measures 17 inches by 8.5 inches.  i'm hoping someone out there can offer some insight or perhaps point me in the right direction to find out how old it is?  it looks ancient to me.  anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks1sampler_ful.jpg1sampler_top.jpg1sampler_bottom.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@anakranism wrote:

hi everyone.  i found this piece today.  it was under glass in an old frame.  i think it has an amazing American Primitive look to it.  Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about antique samplers.  a woman in the store who saw me with it was telling me each of the characters along the bottom have meaning.   it measures 17 inches by 8.5 inches.  i'm hoping someone out there can offer some insight or perhaps point me in the right direction to find out how old it is?  it looks ancient to me.  anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Well, I believe that usually "the characters along the bottom" are the name of the person who worked the sampler and the date it was completed.   Unforuntately, I can't read what it says, althbough the final characteres look like a date to me (at the end) and the date looks to be one eight something three; that is, 18-3.

I hope someone with more knowledge and with better eyesight comes along to help, as I think you may have found someting rather nice.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@anakranism wrote:

hi everyone.  i found this piece today.  it was under glass in an old frame.  i think it has an amazing American Primitive look to it.  Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about antique samplers.  a woman in the store who saw me with it was telling me each of the characters along the bottom have meaning.   it measures 17 inches by 8.5 inches.  i'm hoping someone out there can offer some insight or perhaps point me in the right direction to find out how old it is?  it looks ancient to me.  anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Well, I believe that usually "the characters along the bottom" are the name of the person who worked the sampler and the date it was completed.   Unforuntately, I can't read what it says, althbough the final characteres look like a date to me (at the end) and the date looks to be one eight something three; that is, 18-3.

I hope someone with more knowledge and with better eyesight comes along to help, as I think you may have found someting rather nice.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Spoiler
hi.  yes, i think the number is a 4, which would make it 1843.  the word next to it, to the left is undecipherable.  but this piece looks older to me. the pictures don't show it, but the backing fabric looks ancient.  anyway, thanks for your input.   i too think it's pretty nice. 
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you post a picture of the back -- just add it to this thread -- I think that will help the people who know about textiles.

You might also want to post this on the Collectibles & Art board, which is far more active than this one:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/bd-p/29?nobounce

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

hi.  thanks, i'll check out that forum.  it's set on an old cardboard backing.  i don't know if it's glued or what, but it looks so fragile, i'm afraid to try and separate it from the backing.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It's not ancient as you suggest. 1843 is the year it was completed.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply