cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info needed about a Jerome & Co. clock....

So today I was at a local auction and I bought what they described as an "Antique Cottage Clock". No one else would bid on it, so I got it for $1.00!!! Had not really even looked at it during the preview, so when I got it I thought this clock is in pretty rough shape. When I got it home, I put the pendulum back together, hung it inside and used the key inside it to wind it.... to my amazement, the clock actually works!!! But unfortunately, seems it only runs for a short bit and then stops (maybe about 10 minutes).
I did some research on-line based on the label on the back of the clock (see photos) and think, from what I read, that this clock was probably made between 1850 and 1853 - company founded as Jerome Manufacturing Co. in 1850 and then became the New Haven Clock Co. in 1853.
The clock needs some TLC - needs cleaning for sure; wooden case needs to possibly be refinished; and maybe a new clock face (?); also appears to be a chiming mechanism behind the pendulum that does not seem to be working....
I do love the border & the Pelican on the glass at the bottom of the door.
My questions are -
Does this clock have any value in its present state? Would it be worth while to have it fixed up/restored? Any other information anyone can contribute greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

One more photo....

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Measurements - it stand about 18 3/8 inches tall (to top of finial) and at its widest point it is about 9 5/8 inches.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

The dial, door glass and pendulum match the 1900 catalog pictures of your clock. (DIADEM model))  Could have been made a few years either side of that date.  The base of the case should have veneer applied in a vertical pattern to match the rest of the case.  The drop finials match the catalog but the top three do not.  As it is a thirty hour clock and not running not a lot of value,  for my own collection I would get it running.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Jerome & Co. was a name used by the New Haven Clock Co. around 1890 fpr clocks that were destined to be shipped to England.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply