cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hunting Dog Figure

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but was wondering if I might be able to get any info on this Hunting Dog Figure - may be an English Setter. I bought this piece through an on-line auction - very cheap!!! The base is about 15 inches long & 7 inches wide and the dog on base stands about 11 inches tall. It was bigger than I thought it was going to be and heavier than I expected. It is probably made of plaster (?) as you can see white inside the small chips. I have no idea when or where it might have been made as I haven't seen anything like it before although I doubt it has any real age to it. There is a small sticker on the felt bottom that says "Made In Canada" but that could have been placed there at any time. Has anyone seen large figures like this before? Selling where?

Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hunting Dog Figure

..... actually, just looking at it closer, one of the chips looked like it was showing metal.... tried a magnet test and it stuck - so this dog figure must be cast in metal not made of plaster or whatever!!! 🙂 Like it even more now.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

OK.... thinking this figure might actually be a door stop being it's made of metal.... could it actually have some age to it??

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

I don't think it was intended as a doorstop, just a nice display piece IMHO. The old Hubley dog doorstops were always a 2 piece cast put together with screws.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

I was looking at all the cast iron doorstops on ebay - didn't see any with a base like this one so may just be a display piece.... and noticed that strangely most of the "posed" hunting dogs have their left leg raised whereas this one is a right leg. Do you think this is a Hubley dog? I did notice there is a "line" down the centre but don't see any evidence of screws.... there is old felt on the bottom but haven't tried to remove it. Think I will paint out the obvious paint chips tho.... 🙂

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

Would you think this piece has any age to it?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

I don't know about the age of the piece but it definitely is not Hubley.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

You might try removing the felt and looking for a name then refelting it although I am not very hopeful there will be one. That is not unusual for a person to do that in search of a makers name and it will not hurt the value. You should be able to get a nice piece of felt at a fabric store.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hunting Dog Figure

@skyhart wrote:

Think I will paint out the obvious paint chips tho.... 🙂

If this is for you to keep, or to give as a gift, painting it would be fine. If you are selling it the best thing would be to keep it as is. Or if you do paint it and sell it, disclose the paint job in your listing.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply