cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to advertise a wrought iron hall tree

I'm new to selling vintage/antique items on ebay.  I bought this wrought iron hall tree at an antique store in Oakland, CA that specialized in French antiques.  But, there are no markings on the piece to indicate its origin.  It looks art deco to me, but I'm not sure if I can describe it that way. It also looks like it was made in the 1900-1950 time period, but I can't prove that.  Can I describe it as "antique", "vintage", "French", and/or "Art Deco" ?  Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You know it could easily have been made in France in the late 1920s or 1930s, this type of thing was very popular then. I would pause to call it 'Art Deco' since it doesn't  have the style, exactly. If I was styling a set from that period, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I think that someone doing a Hollywood Regency Style could fall in love with it as well as someone doing Mediterranean, but I don't know if many folks are searching for Mediterranean hall trees. But if you call it Mediterranean, you could just as easily call it Romanesque or Neo-Classical.

Photographing it against a taupe wall with white trim doesn't do the piece any favors, as the trim sort of ruins the design. I would either raise it above the trim by attaching to the wall, or leaning it against an all white surface like that door to the right in the photo. And maybe with one shot with a hat on the top gallery or a purse up there, an umbrella in the stand and a coat or scarf on a hanger to show that it is useful as well as beautiful.

Someone is going to fall in love with this. I could see this being for sale at 1stdibs, so do mention where and when you "aquired" it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

you need to post pictures of the piece

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If you're not an expert, "art deco style" is an honest opinion.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

front viewfront viewdetaildetail

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks. Just figured out how to include the photos 🙂
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It is not art deco, maybe 'mediterranean" style, possibly vintage 1950s.  I see nothing which would point to origin country.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You know it could easily have been made in France in the late 1920s or 1930s, this type of thing was very popular then. I would pause to call it 'Art Deco' since it doesn't  have the style, exactly. If I was styling a set from that period, I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I think that someone doing a Hollywood Regency Style could fall in love with it as well as someone doing Mediterranean, but I don't know if many folks are searching for Mediterranean hall trees. But if you call it Mediterranean, you could just as easily call it Romanesque or Neo-Classical.

Photographing it against a taupe wall with white trim doesn't do the piece any favors, as the trim sort of ruins the design. I would either raise it above the trim by attaching to the wall, or leaning it against an all white surface like that door to the right in the photo. And maybe with one shot with a hat on the top gallery or a purse up there, an umbrella in the stand and a coat or scarf on a hanger to show that it is useful as well as beautiful.

Someone is going to fall in love with this. I could see this being for sale at 1stdibs, so do mention where and when you "aquired" it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I'm not sure of the words someone would use to search, but you may want to mention that it is shallow or close to the wall, or good for a narrow hall way or entrance since it doesn't stick out too far from the wall, it could fit behind many doors when they open.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I get a 1920s -30s vibe as well. Its a wonderful piece!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Your piece doesn't look terribly old (mid-20th century maybe) to my eye but fun.   Sure someone will find of interest.  IMO your best bet would be Hollywood Regency as key descriptor.  Assume you'll be selling for pick-up only.

Debora

Message 11 of 11
latest reply