cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with marks on silver plate spirit kettle

Hello all!

This lovely spirit kettle is a recent acquisition.  It is obviously in plate over copper, and in fairly good condition with the stand, no spirit burner though. 

The mark makes me think it is Sheffield plate (given the crown), however this is not a proper UK lozenge mark.  As well there is no maker stamp, which is OK, I just want to get an idea of era of production and country of origin.  Perhaps French?

The only concern is the wing nut and bolt holding on the lid finial- this smacks of newer production.  As well the mix of quality castings and rather crude hand work is troubling. 

Any insight into the mark and your observations is greatly appreciated!

20171206_103812.jpg

20171206_103844.jpg20171206_103917_HDR.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I don't recognize the mark/stamp.  Sheffield plate is a plating process, not nessesarily connected to any type markings/stamps.   ALL sheffield plate is on copper, but not all silverplated copper is sheffield plate.  You have to learn how to distinguish true sheffield plate from other silverplate pieces.  Much of the sheffield plate I have handled over the years is not marked at all.   All that being said, it's a handsome spirit kettle. Looks Victorian in style to me, which would be too late for sheffield plate, which you don't really see after about 1840.  Not saying it's not possible, just not probable.  I realize I am being a bit pedantic here and I apologize if I am giving information you already know, but I see a lot of mis-information regarding sheffiled plate out there. Just trying to set the record straight for anyone who misht read this. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

the wing nut is not unusual  for late 19th century silverplate

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Your insight and knowledge has no air of being pendantic in any way!  Truly appreciate your information and evaluation given just a few photos.

Do find it odd that there are no makers marks if this is EPNS.  I can vouch that the base metal is copper- obviously there is a ton of electroplate on copper and given the style leaning to Victorian I highly doubt this is actually Sheffield process plate.

Wondering if this is continental?  The mark, when evaluated close up has an iron cross style cross on the top, and inside the crown on each side there is another crown mark (one is poorly struck).  I did read that some French silver and silver plate was marked with a lozenge as well.  I would assume that if this were Victorian electroplate it would have some kind of makers mark.  By the way, the stand base has no marks at all, the mark as shown is on the kettle only.

Once again your information is super helpful, and thank you SO MUCH for sharing it!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much to have chimed in! Good to know that the wing nut doesn't necessarily mean the kettle is a 1970's knock off. All information is extremely helpful!
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

EPNS is electroplated nickle silver, that what EPNS stands for, so no, it's not EPNS.   Not all Victorian silverplate is EPNS either.  Electroplating is a process that can be done on a variety of metals. 

Tons of Victorian silverplate has no marking at all. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

naturalistic forms such as yours were popular during the second half of the 19th century. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks again- yes, for sure this wouldn't be EPNS since it's over copper.  Most likely electroplate on copper - again, given the style and the fact that I cant find any rolled edges or solder seams on any of the details, it is most likely not a rolled or annealed silver plate.

I am going to go with this being a late Victorian British electroplate on copper spirit kettle of unknown maker - I'm afraid extensive further research will lead to no real results on the mark, and I don't want to spend any real sum of money to get a professional to do that research and evaluate it.  It is what it is!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Perhaps the mystery is solved.

After pouring over many makers marks on silvercollection.it for plate, I came across this mark, by William Spurrier:

3393SPURRIERbis.jpg

Below is a better closeup photo of the mark as found on the spirit kettle in question.  What leads me to believe the kettle was made by William Spurrier is the very stylized crown.  The cross on the top, the ragged edges that surround it, the pair of crosses inside the two quadrants are identical.  Unless this crown was a typical mark of the time, perhaps this is a match?  As well the lozenge and numbers used. 

Production by this maker does match up stylistically to the kettle - active from 1844 to 1883 and after.  Here is the link to info from  silvercollection.it

closeup-kettle-mark-1.jpg

Message 9 of 9
latest reply