cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identify antique wood carved painted cutout top picture frame 1904?

My mom gave me this; I believe she picked it up at a quilt show or a craft fair. It is marked on the back 1904, perhaps that 'is' the actual age of the frame (it is def. old!)? At the very bottom on the back it may have been signed; it is impossible to read now. You can see at the top, the cutout to drop in a picture. Does anybody know what style this work is called? Any idea of the value? Would it be from America, or do you not know? The frame feels like a very light wood, a balsa wood perhaps.

Thank you.

Shari

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help identify antique wood carved painted cutout top picture frame 1904?

I believe that is an example of a pyrography (woodburning) project. 1904 may well be the date it was done IMHO.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I believe that is an example of a pyrography (woodburning) project. 1904 may well be the date it was done IMHO.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you! I will now be able to do some research on this. A short while back I recall locating that technique; I was unable to find it again (yesterday) when I wanted to put the item up for sale. That method is hidden well in Google searches (no matter how I described my piece). 

BTW, I had to Google IMHO - LOL! I'm 55,  I definitely do not know all the abbreviations for texting. Amazing, there are so many and we learn so quickly. Yet, when I was in H.S. '70's, 'Shorthand' (which I never took by the way) lasted an entire semester! The brain learns quickly what it wants to:)

Thank you again.

Shari

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I am 53. I took shorthand but retained nothing! I liked the teacher though.Smiley Happy

Glad I could help. Looks like piece someone might have made for a Sweetheart photo or such to me.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply