cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4-Panel Oriental Shadowbox Screen

Hi, this is my first post here - we have an Asian 4-panel screen purchased in Florida in the 1980's but is obviously not manufatured in Florida. There are no markings or signatures of who made it or where it came from. We are interested to know what the language on the panels is, and possibly what is being told in the inscriptions. We assume that it is a story or poem connected to the pictures. If anyone has any information on these screens and/or can translate the inscriptions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

it is Chinse,each panel with bird and flower/tree represents a season,like you see bamboo and peony.

Put lime in the coconut and call me in the morning !
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

These screens are Chinese export items made in the 1990s. While most of the nacre and stone inset screens like this can be tacky, your's are actually very nice. The other is a black lacquer paint. In the 1990s they retailed for around $200-$400.

As you can see, the prices have remained about the same.

You may want to find a Chinese language board on-line to translate, I am guessing it is an artist's signature, but that doen't really increase the value.

As tofu said, they reperesent the seasons, pine = winter, cherry blossom = spring.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply