cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugar chest or blanket chest?

I have a chest that appears to be an early sugar chest but would like opinions.  It is in 2 pieces, the top chest fitting on top of the drawer section. There is a lock on both pieces, with no evidence of a partition in top.  It seems to be too small to hold many blankets, unlike another one I have. It sits on 3 to 4 inch round legs . Acquired from an estate near Nashville, TN. Any help , value, date would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Can we see pics of the inside?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Yes. I was mistaken in that there is a ghost of where the partition was in the center to separate the light and dark sugars.InsideInsideSheraton feet.Sheraton feet.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

What kind of hardware? Many times that can date a piece. Photos?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

It sure looks like a sugar chest
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

You are right and thank you for replying.  I had it appraised today officially for peace of mind.  The value came in at 2500 to 5,000 at auction, dated 1835, cherry, Tn sugar chest! I'm happy with the results and glad I found out for certain.😀

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@stitches*in*time Wowee!! home run

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's terrific but can you post the hardware photos anyway please? I'd love to see for reference!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

In photo, you are looking down on front lock plate. Also, I included the back hinge. I'm inclined to think the screws may have been replaced at some point because they appear machine made.  The slots were cut by hand before 1848, unless the piece dates a little after that time instead of before.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree the screws were probably replaced at some point and those might not be original hinges. Real old ones tend to not have the rounded pin heads from what I've seen. Good luck selling this piece! You should do well. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply