cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to group. Has anyone ever seen anything like this light fixture?

Hi, just moved back to the states from living in Mexico and must sell to make ends meet.  This cast iron and sheet metal hanging light fixture purportely came out of an old bar/pub in Washington DC 50 yrs ago. Has been in someone elses possesion since then.   It is large and very heavy.  Measuring the roof it is 21" square and  13 1/2"  tall.  The roof is in two pieces.  It is the same on all sides with windows w/  thick frosted glass and the molded metal figure head which represents the God of Lust.  The bottom also has four panes of frosted glass.  It appears to me that it once might have been a gas light which was converted to electric at some point.   I just need to know if it's a one off or if anyone has ever seen anything similar,  what style would you call it and when it was made.   Any help or opinions welcome. Thanks!Lust Lamp 1.JPGLust Lamp 2.JPGLust Lamp 5.JPGLust Lamp 6.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sure is very interesting. Wish I could help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I am going to say Craftsman style, around 1910 or so. I love it.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I agree with pugsley_pugsley... Definitely Craftsmen/Arts and Crafts. Wow...Its beautiful. Lucky you, would love to own something like this.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, I was thinking Craftsman  but it helps to get another opinion.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks, I was thinking Craftsman but it helps to get another opinion.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Just curious how you found out this is the "God of Lust?"  Is it a Greek God?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Sorry, I'm just able to get back to this.  Bought at a small auction house and the auctioneer stated that the owners daughter had said that it was supposed to represent the "goddess of lust".  Well, on closer examination, I could definitely tell it was no goddess. Haha....  There is a Greek God of Passion and Lust named Eros, but there were no depictions I could find which looked similar to this guy.   Finally after about 3 days of googling, etc. I found this image in some old Catholic liturature as a depiction of lust.   It seems apparent that the artist who created the tongue licking out face for the light used this image as a guide. So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...God of Lust.jpg

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I saw lights like this on a craftsman house about 20 years ago in san marino, ca.  The backyard was very asian influenced with japanese koa ponds and beautiful bonsi trees everywhere.  There were two that looked very similar on each side of a wood deck.  I remember them because they were so beautiful.  I love architecture, and this is why I remember.  Lucky you!  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I forgot to tell you the lights I saw were half that size and mounted on outside of the home on the back deck.  Like they cut what you have in half.  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I had and sold a plaster match safe of the face and head of Lust marked "Luxure."  My research indicated it was early 19th cent. French.  It seems they were produced representing the Seven Deadly Sins: Lust, Greed, Pride, Gluttony and another 3.  I can't seem to find my photo; I'll post it if I come across it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply