Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Identifying Old Tool

Any Ideas?any Ideas?any Ideas?P1050689.JPGP1050693.JPG

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Looks like a homemade nail puller. Any manufacturer marks on it?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Size?

Any wear at the hole?

Where'd ya find it?

My current guess:  Tooth from an old flail-type hay mower that was discarded for rock damage.

I never liked those mowers.   They pretty much came and went around 30 or so years ago around here.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

No marks on it. It’s about 14” long & 3” high at the curved blade, and the top edge is mushroomed like you beat on it like a froe.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

About 14” long & 3” high, found it cleaning my basement. Top above the cutting edge is really mushroomed over like you would use it like a froe, the handle is comfortable in the hand, no wear in the hole.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

OK, I'm off the flail mower tooth idea.

Does it look like it was originally flat?   

If so, I think I have two similar tools around here somewhere.   Never did figure them out, beyond a froe-type tool.

That's a lot of mushrooming.  Evidently used a lot.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It seems like the curve was purposeful, it’s all of 5/8” thick steel other than the taper for the curved blade, I think this was its intended shape.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Maybe used to split wood the top being mushroomed like that from hitting it to split it. Just a thought. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

" it’s all of 5/8” thick steel other than the taper for the curved blade, "

It does not look 5/8" thick.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have at least 2 butter knives that were once flat till I used them as screwdrivers and pry bars. I think this is a pry bar and possibly a splitter.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I'd expect some failure at the thin edge if it'd been bent.   It's certainly been been banged on a lot.

Possibly home-made.   It looks like something to split or dress a convex edge, like a barrel stave or post.   I've never seen any other similar curved splitting tool.

Does the thin edge show sharpening?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes, it tapers on both sides, both long flat grinds, and on the concave side it has an additional grind to bring it to a blades edge, about as sharp as your worst lawn mower blade.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Could certinly be wrong, but my guess is that it's an old tiller blade for laying garden rows.  I can remember one of the men in my lfe having one much like it. It attached with a single bolt to the lower part of the tiller. The poor one bolt design allowed for it to work loose and wobble after use and it would have to be periodically retightened. I think them cursing it is why I remember it so well. You can see one like it in the upper photo near the top. The curve is probably from much wear and hitting large rocks or roots.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The tines would not be 5/8 inch thick for a tiller. We have several old and newer ones.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply