Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I need help identifying an item

Possibly a tea caddy, or for tobacco.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

similar looking piece found on worthpoint (see below). It’s earlier and fancier.. is yours pewter with a screw off top? 

https://goo.gl/images/HwcSLr

Antique Pewter Screw Top

Hexagonal Canister

Dear Bidder,

This is an Lt century canister that is signed "I.B.V. 1788" presumably English. It has a screwoff lid which is working very smoothly and has a figural handle with two dragons or snakes facing each other. T are some dents and a couple of notable scratches and black discoloration (photoed). Please inform us if any additional photos are needed to show condition and we will be happy to provide. Each of the outside panels is heavily etched with swag wreaths, floral and animal images which include birds, deer and one particular figure that appears to be a kangaroo whose tail was very creatively incorporated into the leaf etching. We have only ever encountered one similar example of pewter like this which was a hexagonal canister signed 1710 that we sold on Ebay a few years ago for 500.00. It also had a screwoff lid, but with a loop shaped handle and no decorative etch work. The rarity of an item like this speaks for itself but we as sellers would like bidders to know that as active antique buyers, sellers, collectors and enthusiasts we have only ever had ourselves two examples in close to five years. It weighs over three pounds unpacked and measures exactly 9" high with the handle held up straight and 5.75" wide and deep.Fine, fine example of 18th century metal work

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Also consensus seems to be that they are German, likely copying an eastern form of tea caddy. When these are decorated they tend to be labeled as tea caddies but when not decorated, some are listed as canteens for water or wine. My guess is that it was meant for tea.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I believe it is pewter and it does have a screw off top. Measurements are about the same. Thank you so much for your help.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

no prob 🙂
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I'm thinking a Funeral Urn for holding cremated remains.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply