cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help me figure out what era and how much would this bureau cost please? Thank you

28512183_1680548698680029_1412546506_n.jpg28512308_1680549278679971_1438668662_n.jpg28534089_1680549952013237_904637772_n.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Can anyone help me figure out what era and how much would this bureau cost please? Thank you

Someone else is sure to be more knowledgable than I but... just to get you started, yours is a nice piece of middle class furniture from just before or somewhat after World War II.  Sometimes they come with secret compartments within the columns above the writing surface.  You'll want to check. Smiley Wink

Debora

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Hi Debora, first of all thank you for taking your time to help me and yes I checked and there it was........ secret compartments in the columns as well.Much appreciated!! 🙂
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I would bet money the two columns pull out and hide a secret compartment. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Hi, you are right the inside columns pull out and I was amazed never seen such a secret compartments .
By any chance can you help me regarding the price of this
or know someone who does please? Thank you 🙂

NB: Although I was here before, I am new and I do not know how to navigate this site, so hope I am doing this right!
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hello, Not a expert, but have sold many like this unit at my Tag Sales***I'd say 1940's style***

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have read that "brown" furniture is a difficult sell these days.  If you do a key word search on the internet using words like "reproduction," "secretary," "drop front desk," and "colonial," you may find comparables to provide you with directional pricing.  Keep in mind though that you will need to sell locally (because of the high cost of shipping) and furniture markets differ across the country.

Debora

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I have shipped items like this and much bigger through Uship In my experiences, the customer has been the one to pay the shipping costs and all have arrived safely. Just an FYI
@tinkerbell-eyes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Hello, if you dont mind, can you help me regarding the price please? Thank you 🙂
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hi Debora, I will try to search more. Thank you. Very good information :))
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Selling price hard to say just from photos***Your piece looks like a better example****Not a real popular style at this time, but you can sell it****Here in the New York City area I'd ask $350-$500 in my consignment shop***But again, hard to say just from photos***Good Luck!!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hello, thank you for your information and for your help. Much Appreciated! :)))))
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

We called them goverors desk, the older ones had 13 faux glass panels in the doors made with wood scroll work. The last one I had in my shop went for 250. IN 2007 sold one for 700 definitely not what they use to sell for but then nothing in antiques does anymore.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi, It is a pity to sell it this much because for me it is SOLID WOOD and a nice piece...
Pity,,it is too big for my room, because I would keep it. Thank you for taking the time to help. :)))

INTERIOR>>>> DRAWERS AND PIGEON HOLES, CENTRAL INLAID TABERNACLE COMPARTMENT AND SECRET PULL OUT COLUMN COMPARTMENTS WITH BRASS.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply