cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is "ASTORLOID STERLING"

Although this isn't jewelry, I am hoping someone here knows what it is. I have a 13" x 4" hand mirror marked "ASTROLOID STERLING" but I believe it MAY be brass? Is astroloid a plating process or is it the name of a silver company? I couldn't find any thing on it. It is heavy metal with no reinforcement in the handle.

The mirror was broken and the handle is bent and the 2 halves seperating with one have badly damaged. Basically junk so this  is one piece I wasn't concerned about harming with acid. The inside looks to be brass and test as brass[blue]. I ground DEEP into the outside and am still finding a sliver colored metal and it's test color is gray[center of second picture].

I just would like to know what it is. I believe it may be brass with a very heavy plating but not sure.Any help would be appreciated,

Karl.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I believe it to be a company.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I would think it is a company name also and then saying it is sterling but the inside is definatley brass and like I said,  I Blue/green is copper or an alloy? I went deep on the outside and still hit silver colored metal. Doesn't the grey acid color possibly mean it may be a lower grade of silver? Sterling is reddish brown.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

someone told me that if you use your 18K gold drops on sterling it is more accurate and should turn green/blue. haven't tried it and my test kit is kinda old and I have heard that can be a problem when testing.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Well something that itsn't helping me is that I just tested my silver acid on items that I know are sterling and coin silver. Before I would get a blood red on sterling and lighter red on coin slver but now it's all coming up blue/gray almost the same results as the 18K  results.

Guess its time to buy new acid. I marked the bottle when I bought it and its about 1 year old but how old was it when it was sent to me? Yes, this acid does go bad but what is the shelf life? 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Found out what it is. The inside has an identical brass liner. I couldn't understand how I could cut so deep into either side and only hit the metal showing. Both metals are heavy. The thickness of the two metals sandwiched made it strong enough that it didn't need internal support and was hollow.

Oh well, thanks for your time and HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Karl.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply