cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are these silver items?

Hello again. I won a large lot of "India" jewlery. It was sold as some silver and some may not be. Most of it is not but there are several items that are not marked but are silver and I don't even know what they are. Are they old,  middle eastern, and what are they[what is their purpose]?

What is this little pot[?]. It looks to be handmade and is not marked but is silver. 

What is this long thing? It has a sliding bead that looks lke it should clamp on something. It is marked "900" and appears to be very well made.

The earrings[?] also look to be quality handmade and have hand etched on the backs "TOM 925".

The 4th piece I am guessing is a barrett[?] around 30 grams.and also looks to be very nice handmade, not marked but is silver. 

Finally, as I recall, I paid $80-90 for all of this because it just looks worth it. Do you think I at least broke even?

Oops, guess I am only allowed 4 picts? I'll place another post.

Thanks for any info,

Karl.

I

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Few more picts.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Forgot the earrings with the clamps. Is that a style of claspt still used?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Found a few more items in the bottom of the box and all are silver also. The one thing is a container of some sort. It is marked "900" and has cotton or something inside.

The snake ring looks to be handmade and is marked "850". 

The earrings look just like the others but rectangles instead of ovals and have something hand etched inside that I can't make out.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The container with cotton in it - does it smell like old perfume or anything? I think its possible that the cotton was used to put oils or perfume on to smell good. I have seen a brooch that had a compartment to put a perfume soaked piece of cotton, so theres a possibility that is what it is. It could have hung from chains on either end and worn like a necklace. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Hi. A lot of these items are cannetile filigree metal work & do look middle eastern & Czechoslovakian. Some look like Victorian chatelain jewelry & accessories, like the item that looks like a tiny handheld mirror, & the oval perfume/pill & prayer box. I would get these checked out by a jeweler. Especially the one marked 900. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I think some of the items are part of what is referred to as a chatelain and hung down from a center piece as in the pic below.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks so much for your imput. I have the ability to check them as far as being silver and ALL items are silver although I am not use what purity.

Not really sure what I am looking for here?  I guess I would like to know,[silver or not] are they older than last week? For WHAT purpose were they made? Do any of them have value beyond the silver?

I know, total, I have $50 worth of silver and I really would like to save them IF they are more than the silver value.

Here are some of the other items I got in this group.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Listen here lady,  I personally would be way more interested in the piece then the silver. ..it beautiful and an  900 is coin Silver...which is pricelessly worthless Compared to the filagree ( hair pin.. Maybe bun cover) The silver content is probably not sellqble to most.  The alloy is too high.  Not pure enough. It's worth more to sell it. Does it have more then 1 stamp on it? Look up filigree. would you like to sell it I love filagree. Let me know if u post it on eBay. 

Jennifer Walter
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The pictures just loaded.. Is that a jewelry loop... It's a personal set of someone's.  Please keep them together as a set and I'd love to have them.. Please let me know if you ever get rid of them 

Jennifer Walter
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Google when were clip on earrings invented. The look up dating vintage Clip on earring type or put hardware or look up dating vintage earrings by type

Jennifer Walter
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

They could also be fur clips.. I want the clips the bun cover the possible loop and the oval thing w the handle pleeeaase and Ty.. They are very pretty

Jennifer Walter
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have a few gold pieces in my shop. Jennifer16038
Jennifer Walter
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I've been listing pieces on Ebay. Most seem to have been purchased by 1 person which is great. Most items have been selling for $.99 silver or not. I believe someone is getting some bargains? 

I've been listing them as "handmade middle east". I'm going to list a set of the earrings and see if they do any better.

Thanks again for the input.

Karl.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply