cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

West Germany

susanat777
Enthusiast
History lesson needed. Beautiful jewelry in some cases but not appreciated on obviously market place for dollar value. Went searching on the Internet. Found West Germany years as 1945 - 1955. Adoption laws 1977. Looking for information on Starting year date of West Germany and ending year date of West Germany.??? Are most pieces with glass looking, just that, glass? Any pictures of distinctive findings or backs, clips, etc. appreciated. Are any of these pieces West Germany ever unmarked? I just purchased a beautiful set of clip earrings with filigree amythyst colored large stones orchad colored leaves. Haven't not tested for gold yet. I have not purchased much or began researching West Germany Jewelry. So, nothing to speak of on the Internet, so asking the group for any information.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

West Germany

After WW11 much was imported to US with great variance in quality. Basically, an opportunity excist to buy quality at resonable prices today. Prior to WW11 you have a better chance to find unmarked items. Germany produced quality porcelain ie. Rosenthal which can be found in porcelain pendants. The low quality items matched what the Japanese imported to US. That's a start.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

I have a small painted brooch that I haven't listed yet the base is green and the other colors are painted it is not plastic it is colored glass or stone set in a dog tooth setting with gold color metal that has no magnetic draw. I am going to try to find out the materials before I list it. here are some pics. Back marked "made in west Germany"West Germany used metal that was like aluminum and very lightweight. Most items I have come across have held up well with little corrision. Most seem on the cheap costume side but some are great quality.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/193120/ebayjan7%20032.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/193120/ebayjan7%20033.jpg
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

The West Germany mark dates from around 1950 until 1989, when the Berlin wall fell, and Germany was reunited. The costume jewelry from the 1950-60's was quite good quality, usually marked West Germany but not always. Typically a lacey stamped metal piece formed the back, and it was often made of aluminum and given a goldtone plating. Items often featured very nice art glass or slag glass. I recently sold a very large brooch featuring a transfer painted porcelain picture of a pretty girl. It was marked West Germany, but didn't have the lacey back. I believe this piece is West German, but it isn't marked: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sandras_stuff/LISTING%20PIX/glasspendantfr.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sandras_stuff/LISTING%20PIX/glasspendantbk.jpg These earrings were marked West Germany, feature purple slag glass, had clips and the characteristic lacy back http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sandras_stuff/LISTING%20PIX/purpleslagearrings.jpg
Sandra
Please look at the Costume Jewelry FAQ for all kinds of info! Be sure to visit the whatsit website too.
Both on the message board, near the top.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

cmpollack
Enthusiast
Sandra--That's very helpful--I have a few black glass cameos with lacy backs (some marked) that must date from the 50s/60s. Is the quality felt to have declined towards the end? Carrie
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

I'm not sure when "the end" is. These lacey backed things were made 30-50 years ago, I think - I've no idea how long that continued. Some of the work from Czechoslovakia also has the lacey backs.
Sandra
Please look at the Costume Jewelry FAQ for all kinds of info! Be sure to visit the whatsit website too.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

ask4jewels
Enthusiast
The dates of jewelry marked W. Germany, West Germany and Western Germany began in 1945 and closed in 1992 when the Wall came down. So, 1992 was "the end" of that era of jewelry making. The characteristics are: stamped fittings, Gold-plated, Light weight and most had standard designs causing many pieces to be very similar. The rhinestones used were of high quality and brilliance. Jewelry makers of this time were given a tax break along with other businesses to help rebuild commerce. Information from a book by Marcia "Sparkles" Brown.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

Here is some additional information form the book of Julia jewelry. Carroll, because of the history , it is possible to date some of the jewelry that was made in Germany. Jewelry made before 1949 is marked "Germany," but jewelry made after that time and until Germany was reunified in 1990 is marked "Western Germany." New jewelry, made after 1990, is again marked "Germany." The signature look , most collectible and recognizable marked Western Germany jewelry pieces are jewelry sets composed of pins and earrings, or necklaces and earrings made of elaborate filigree metal and decorated with tiny colorful beads and pearls. 1949-1990.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

The Berlin wall came down late in 1989, and that was the end of East and West Germany.
Sandra
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

I love the West Germany pendants and am always looking for more. They come in lots of glass set colors and chain lengths, some with matching earrings, etc., as noted here. Once I was watching a big lot, and the only piece I really wanted was a lovely baby blue center stone WG pendant. So I e-mailed the winner and he was willing to sell me just that one piece. He had bought the lot for his wife, and my buying the one item from him helped offset the cost (I had asked the seller if she could split the lot up but as the listing already had received bids she couldn't.) It was a very pleasant thee-way transaction all around. Go, WG pendants!
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

West Germany

slimnavette
Enthusiast
I have Ginger Moro's European Designer Jewelry and I'll try to do some reading. Also found a large glass brooch (unmarked) which was believed to be German. Funny I purchased it under "Juliana" even though I knew it wasn't one, I thought it was pretty. I'll try to get a couple of pics of by the weekend. Gotta go make dinner.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply