cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pontil Mark on Amber Jewelry

Does anyone know if it's common to see a pontil mark on vintage/antique baltic amber jewelry? I own a large pendant with a pontil scar on the back. Curious about this. Thanks for your input.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The answer is "No," since the term specifically refers to blown glass. A pontil mark or scar is left at the spot where blown glass is detached from the rod. Amber is not blown glass and rods are not used in its formation. 

On the other hand, amber colored blown glass objects can have pontil marks. Could your pendant be amber colored blown glass?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I'm just now reading your comment .  I'm not sure if the amber is glass.  However, the pontil mark is definitely there.  Amber jewelry has always been very confusing to me -- don't know much about it. Will need to do more research.  At least I know now from your post that the pendant is made of glass. Thank for letting me know -- appreciate it very much.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You're welcome, but I think it's a mistake to take my reply to mean that the pendant is definitely glass. Before reaching that conclusion, I would need to see photos of the front and back sides of the pendant. Since I haven't seen photos, I have no basis to even guess what it might be made of. Molded plastics and resins other than natural amber can have swirled marks or depressions on back also. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply