cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identification help please

Good morning, I am looking for information on this sterling silver chrysocolla ring.  I have been told it is not vintage but very modern but I am wondering about the design arund the ring and if it an ethnic design Thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Have you tested it for sterling? I have 2 very similar rings I got from a relative who got a box of jewelry from a friend. The box was full of rings like this, lots of bone jewelry and it was all from Peru. Sold in tourist type markets. It was easy for me to tell the rings I got weren't sterling, they turned my fingers black after just a couple hours of wearing. So that would be my guess, from peru, not sterling, and my aunt said that her friend was getting all the jewelry in the 90s. I can post pictures later on tonight of the 2 rings I have, I'm not home at the moment.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It's some sort of alpaca/white metal/nickel alloy.  I don't know for sure that it's Peruvian, but I wouldn't doubt it.  As for the age, it's not antique.  It might be technically vintage by now if it was made in the 90s, but most of old farts in here don't think of 90s stuff being remotely old.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi ladydidi et al. I had no clue but googled Peruvian Silver Ring and the following is one of the links that came up - for information only:

https://gemsofperu.com/products/30-rings-natural-stone-peru-alpaca-silver-jewelry

I think the members of this board are so impressive. Only 2 replies and both were right on. Nice going, ccj and evelyb.

I think this is a good example of a genuine gemstone set in alpaca - not too common, and maybe a notch or two higher in value than alpaca jewelry with shell inlay - as seen in some modern Mexican jewelry. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Is it marked? In I believe 1906 the national stamping act required that all prexioumetals be marked w a purity mark, also I find that it's odd that it has the old style adjustable ring.  Try a search on that,  looks a little Gothic to me but,  it could be a report. When were adjustable Sterling or whatever metal rings first popular.  Also research how long chrystcolla has been used in jewelry.  Might lead u somewhere

Jennifer Walter
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yeah I used to sell these in the early 2000s is definitely alpaca silver which is an alloy, Made in Peru by local craftsmen
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It doesn't look like ladydidi has returned to thread. I wonder if she has seen this, for information only, link:

https://gemsofperu.com/products/30-rings-natural-stone-peru-alpaca-silver-jewelry

Message 7 of 7
latest reply