cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying age and maker of 14K gold bar pin

Hi!

I'm new to this board, but not to eBay. I love vintage jewelry, but don't know too much about it...I just buy what I like! I would appreciate any information about this bar pin. It is marked 585 with an Omega symbol in front of it. It has a very nice safety clasp and 3 pearls. I know my pictures are not the greatest, but I hope they are good enough for someone to give me some information! Thank you!!rsz_2rsz_dsc01333_-_copy_-_copy_2 (1).jpgrsz_dsc01334.jpgrsz_dsc01336.jpgrsz_1dsc01337.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It is very blurry Try holding a loupe in front of the lens or focusing more from further out
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

That's a great idea! I feel silly for not thinking of it!rsz_dsc01362.jpg

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Here are better pictures of the clasp and hinge.rsz_dsc01363.jpgrsz_dsc01364.jpg

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If I'm not mistaken, the 585 is the European marking for 14K gold. I think the safety clasp indicates that it's a newer piece (post 1920 perhaps?) that might be a reproducton of an earlier, possibly Victorian design.

Whatever it is, it's quite nice.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for your help! I couldn’t find anything on the clasp at all, so hopefully that will help.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Karat stamped, made after 1906 Jewelers' Liability Act. Makers emblem could be found and it needs research. Early ArtDeco, late Edwardian. Pearls could be natural or cultured. 

Cute piece,

Kia  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

To my eye, there's nothing distinctively Art Deco about it.

Lea
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

check out this link for the construction:
http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatFindings.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thank you all for your help! I will look into all suggestions .

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hi Lea,

If the period fits and the piece is made after 1906, so ArtDeco is a strong possibility. I, personally, look at the construction of the piece and dating it is secondary to me. Bar brooches were popular on first half of 20th century.  The Edwardian ones are usually Platinum topped and ArtDeco products are made of Platinum or white gold. This one is solid yellow gold, so that is why I say late Edwardian or early ArtDeco.   

Kia 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

There is often a confusion between era and style:  not everything made during the Art Deco era, for which dates vary, is stylistically Art Deco.  (1906 strikes me as a very early date for Deco.)  Also, different styles often co-exist.  And not everything has a style that follows the great artistic movements of the time. 

How many people this year for Mother's Day will be giving their mothers a post-modernist piece of jewellery?  Yet that is the cutting-edge style of the moment.  Most of them will select a brooch or pendant with 'normal' depictions of flowers or hearts, which might be slightly stylized, but still won't be Neo-Classical, Nouveau, Deco, Modernist, etc.  Mostly, they will be what I call 'traditional'.

As terms, Edwardian and Victorian refer mostly to time, since both of those eras were marked by a number of styles.  Deco, in contrast, refers not just to a period, but also to a very characteristic number of style elements.  As far as I can see, the brooch in question doesn't have them.  Bar brooches may have been popular in the first half of the century, but I have one which is distinctively Arts & Crafts.  So, just being a bar brooch does not determine its style.  And the fixings may help date an item, but it again won't determine its style.

Oh, my, I do go on, don't I?  Time for another coffee break! 🙂

Lea
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

LOLz Lea,

By your spelling of jewelry with two Ls, I can tell you don't live in U S. We are a young country and waiting for items to be 100 years to call them antiques seems like an eternity.

1906 is  year of U S precious metal act but Edwardian era is 1900-1910, and ArtDeco is considered to 1910-1940. Keeping all this in mind, I have dated the piece to be as said. As far as the word 'style', in America, this word is used for reproduction items and not on true antique pieces.  

Have a nice day,

Kia

Message 13 of 13
latest reply