cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fred Harvey/Bell Trading Company Ring

Anyone have any info or input on the design of this ring? I havent seen anything similar. To me it looks like a lions head ....?IMG_6257.JPGIMG_6255.JPGIMG_6256.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@winnie5590 wrote:

Anyone have any info or input on the design of this ring? I havent seen anything similar. To me it looks like a lions head ....?

It's a Native American Sun Face. The Sun Face represents the spirit of the sun and is a popular motif whose design differ sslightly from tribe to tribe.

Bell Trading Post was founded in 1935 by Jack Michelson, who named his new company in honor of his wife (her maiden name was Bell). Bell hired Native American silversmiths — usually Navajo or Zuni — and set them to making "Native American" jewelry that was sold to tourists throughout the Southwestern and Western states. Bell also produced an extensive line of souvenir charms as well as souvenir spoons and even military insignia.

However, as with the Fred Harvey Company's Herman Schweizer, the white men in charge supplied their Native American craftsmen with "Indian-looking" designs without regard to their authenticity or origin. They even made up cards showing these symbols and their alleged meanings.

Have a great eBay day,

acquisator
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you so much! Cool information and greatly appreciated!!!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Didn't read all the posts but it looks Aztec myan,  probably from mexico

Jennifer Walter
Message 4 of 4
latest reply