cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back with another piece that I'm needing to know more about...

Found this old metal that seems like it might have come from a branch of the military? Could someone identify this? Its got the Fleur de lis as well as some other insignia's, like the swords, a dog or lion, and the leaves near the bottom. No signing on back. Can be worn as a pendant or a brooch. Thanks ahead of time for any help!IMG_20180401_183138.jpgIMG_20180401_183153.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This is a pic of the back of the brooch.IMG_20180401_222339.jpg

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It definitely has a military flair to it, but most USA and European military dress pins, medals, and insignia I've encountered over the years is either a pin or a medal (pendant), not a combination brooch / pendant, and would be hallmarked in some fashion.  They would have been designed to be worn very specific on a dress uniform, not in a general, versatile way.  Most medals I have seen, have the ring at the very top, as well.  The fleur de lis, swords, and lion could be a Coat of Arms symbol for a specific region of France, or just a design element.  The fact that it's a combo brooch / pendant is making me believe it's a piece of jewelry.  I most certainly could be wrong because I'm far from a French military expert and others here will add their experience, too.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I totally agree.

I have studied heraldry, and this doesn't really fill the bill as an actual medal:  it's a bit too generic.  Jewellery like this comes in and out of fashion, so I'm not going to try and date it.  People seem especially fond of stuff with a fleur de lys.  (Probably have some myself, lol!)

Lea
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I would agree with other posters here that it is not military, only costume jewelry. Especially since at this moment I have a pair of earrings that match the design exactly! They are just different in color. IMG_30251.JPG

They are here at the top. (part of a huge lot I have listed right now as a matter of fact.)

Really pretty design and I would think it would be fairly desirable as far as unmarked costume jewelry goes. My earrings have a screw back, and I would roughly date them to 60s-70s, but I'm just going with a gut feeling on that.  

Good find!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Screw backs in 60s-70s? I would think they would be older. (But what do I know)?
Message 6 of 6
latest reply