cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top things to know 

• Our business is doing exceptionally well, far ahead of expectations  
  • We are launching a new ad campaign on national TV this month 
  • Store subscribers who receive coupons for shipping supplies will receive an extra one  

Seller community –

During our earnings in April, we shared expectations about how eBay would perform in Q2, as we always do. Today, we announced that our business is performing significantly better than we anticipated – driving strong results across all metrics. 

Jordan Sweetnam, SVP + GM AmericasJordan Sweetnam, SVP + GM Americas

This news hopefully makes you proud. It is your hard work, your tenacity, that makes our shared success possible. Despite living through some of the most trying times, your commitment never waivers, and we are grateful to be your partner.

Here’s a little more about how we’re doing, and what this means for you:

• Our GMV is strong, and we expect Q2 to end up 23-26%, compared to last year.  
  • We’ve added 6 million new and reactivated buyers in April and May, and our buyer growth is accelerating - this points to a stronger healthier buyer base for eBay into the rest of the year.
  • All major verticals are growing, including Home & Garden, Electronics, Fashion, Auto Parts and Collectibles. As you’ve seen from my Trending Item posts, it really is across the board - our shoppers want new to pre-loved, collectible to the most current. 
  • We’re seeing more organic traffic, and our marketing is more efficient.
  • The seller community is growing! Since March, thousands of small businesses have started to sell on eBay. Thank you to so many of you who have taken the time to welcome these new sellers and for sharing the amazing knowledge you have as business owners learn how to transition from offline to online.  

While these results are exciting and encouraging, we are not letting up. Instead, we are doubling down on programs to continue this momentum. And, eBay will be returning to national TV this month with a campaign that focuses on our small & medium business sellers. This is one example of how we are investing everything we can to keep eBay top of mind.  In the past you’ve heard us say that TV isn’t a top priority, but a lot has changed and we’re excited to get your message out there. 

We announced “Traffic month” and activities have already kicked off. This will help you better understand how we’re proactively driving traffic to your listings. The content we share will be designed to explain the things that you can control, in order to drive even more attention. Given the strength of our business, we want to help you make sure your listings show up at the most critical moments of a customers’ shopping journey. I encourage everyone to follow along, learn and ask questions.  

For store sellers, we are continuing our listing promotion through the end of July with 50,000 additional free fixed price listings per month for store sellers and 200 additional free listings per month for non-store sellers. And, we have extended seller performance protections, established at the onset of COVID-19, through July 19th. And, as an extra thank you, for those of you who already receive shipping supplies coupons as part of your store subscription, we will send you an extra one next week. We know you are shipping record volumes so we wanted to give you the supplies to be successful. 

Finally, efforts are underway to bring new people to eBay and incentivize them to sell. A new promotion will allow first-time sellers to sell free, up to five times. Our rationale – we know from very clear research that shoppers who buy and sell on eBay are much more active than those shoppers who only buy. More casual sellers makes the entire marketplace stronger. 

Today’s good news means more knowing how far we’ve come. This is not a time to slow down, and I realize we still have a lot to do to make eBay the trusted partner you’ve asked me to deliver. However, I wanted to immediately take a moment to let you know how grateful we are for your business. Thank you for selling on eBay, and I look forward to continuing to build and grow together. 

Jordan