cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We’re at the end of another big week and I hope everyone is safe and well. I for one really love the holidays and have been spending time stringing lights, setting up yard inflatables and decorating like crazy…. 

Speaking of the holidays, last week we reported some fantastic Cyber 5 results, and this week I’m excited to make another announcement. In the spirit of keeping you updated on focused verticals, like luxury watches, sneakers and Certified Refurbished products, we have news for trading cards. 

Beginning in January, we’re introducing eBay standard envelope: a low-cost service via eBay Labels to securely ship single, ungraded trading cards, priced $20 and under.  

While the sale of a mint condition 1997 Precious Metal Gems Michael Jordan will certainly make headlines, our trading card category runs the gamut of price points and classifications — and volume is also at an all-time high. With so many of us stuck at home and looking to pass time, cards have become a sort of replacement to the sports we were missing and driving interest like we’ve never seen before. Compared to just five years ago, trading cards sales have risen almost 300 percent on eBay. So far in 2020, we’ve sold more than 45 million cards!  

Although trading cards volume is the strongest it’s ever been, these aren’t all superstar or rare card sales. At its core, this space attracts people seeking every level of card investment, and eBay standard envelope is specifically designed to benefit the buyers and sellers growing their sports and non-sports trading card collections on the marketplace. We’re committed to providing everyone a secure and standardized way to sell and ship cards – regardless of the size of the collection or value of the card.  

Here’s a bit more about what this means for you: 

• Single, ungraded cards priced at $20 and under (and up to 3 oz.) can be shipped in the US in an envelope - with tracking included - for less than $1 
  • This is a saving of up to 70% vs. USPS First Class Package Service shipping costs, plus it includes shipping protection. 
  • The new service is exclusive on the eBay labels platform and will allow you to meet eBay’s Top Rated Plus requirements, which includes additional selling perks. 

If you want to learn more about eBay standard envelope our own Nicole Colombo, GM of Trading Cards, recently spoke at the Virtual Holiday Sports Card Conference. The YouTube link to Nicole’s interview is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWBQul2uHXs&feature=youtu.be&t=924. It’s a fun watch and provides much more detail than anything I could pencil out in this post. You will also find more information here:  https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-standard-envelope.html 

Not only is this is another big step for the company as we continue to deliver enhancements that meet the needs of our sellers, but the addition of eBay standard envelope is a complement to other recent shipping news – like eBay international standard, eBay Labels for QR codes, weekend handling times and our UPS collaboration. It is part of our commitment to building the best experience for buyers and sellers, and we intend to keep these improvements coming in 2021 and beyond. 

I know you aren’t letting up as we head into 2021 and we certainly aren’t either. I hope everyone has great sales this week and weekend, and, as always, thank you for selling on eBay!

Jordan