cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Carrier Rate Changes Coming Soon

Share Post
Verified Blogger
Verified Blogger

UPS, FedEx, and USPS have announced their 2017 rate increases taking effect on the following dates (consult the carrier websites linked below for more details):

• UPS: December 26, 2016
  • FedEx: January 2, 2017
  • USPS: January 22, 2017

The eBay shipping calculator and eBay labels will be updated with these new rates. Make sure your shipping prices on your active listings reflect them, too:

• If you use calculated shipping, check that all your listings have accurate package weights and measurements. Your listings will show the new rates automatically, once they take effect.
  • If you use flat-rate shipping, review your listings to see if your flat rate covers the price increases. You may have to raise your flat-rate charges to maintain the same profit level.
  • If you offer free shipping, review your listings to see if your prices can absorb the extra costs, or if you should make adjustments to your prices.

Check the chart below to see how each carrier’s rates will be affected. And remember: using eBay labels can help you save up to 25%* on Priority Mail® and up to 37%* on FedEx services. Plus, tracking is uploaded automatically, and you get free supplies and free package pickup!

*For domestic shipping.

FINAL CHART carrier changes 12.15.16.png

378 Comments

I am beyond grateful for USPS first class and priority shipping. The rates are so much lower than Fedex and UPS especially for small items we sell piles of.   Business is not getting any easier folks.  It is the cost of business.  People complaining about the fees of shipping should be complaining that Ebay fees in many cases alone are greater than the profit I make when selling an item.  It is all about numbers.. numbers don't lie.

by 615_davis · Adventurer
615_davis
Adventurer

ebay and paypal seem to want and more of a seller's earnings. ebay and paypal taking a piece of even the SHIPPING FEES is excessive,overbearing,nauseating, and counterproductive to quality seller shipping feedback ratings. BUYERS should be INFORMED about how MUCH of their payments for items and shipping is actually going to the poor SELLER, and how much is taken by ebay and paypal for shipping JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN take it. difficult for sellers to set their pricing when they have to take into account giving 12-15% to ebay and paypal. and thats not to mention trying to explain to my GLOBAL buyers that ebay sets EBAYS shipping prices for global shipping after i ship my items to erlanger,ky. i give both ebay and paypal one star out of five for excessive and unnecessary fees on shipping. just waiting for the NEXT inventive way ebay and paypal may create to TAKE more money on the items i sell and ship. makes it hard on BUYERS when they have to pay higher prices to sellers to OFFSET high unreasonable fees charged to sellers by ebay and paypal. then THEY leave poor shipping feedback for the seller.  in a Perfect EBAY world, EBAY itself should be subject to FEEDBACK from its sellers, and accountable for its actions. for without SELLERS....there would be no BUYERS....and without buyers there would be no EBAY.  give CORPORATE employees and the big wheels a PAY CUT, and stay away from EBAY fees on shipping. might be a good time to cull out and thin the corporate employee herd at ebay.and REDUCE UNNECESSARY fees to sellers and buyers.'nuff said

by vintige · Thrill-Seeker
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Hi, @junito782011.

Why does Ebay charge us a fee for shipping?

That's not a discount we are actually paying more.

When sellers started listing $100 items for $0.99 + $99 in shipping, eBay decided that they needed to start charging fees on shipping Get used to it.

!~~~~~alex~~~~~!

by 615_davis · Adventurer
615_davis
Adventurer

i love ebay. let me be clear. i love buying and selling on ebay.  it is their EVER INCREASING and inventive policies which allow them to charge more and more and more fees on a seemingly unending variety of sources they can dream up that i find revolting and quite intolerable. 10% of sales seems fair to keep ebay up and running, however ebay and paypal charging percentages on shipping fees is downright abusive. thank goodness i do not have to pay a fee to ebay and paypal for EACH BREATH of God's good air i breathe....................not yet,anyway.

by kunaqueen · Adventurer
kunaqueen
Adventurer

I think eBay and Paypal need to get real about their fee structure. They are choking us little guys out. Between their exhorbitant fees and the postal rates I am being hammered. I really don't think eBay cares about the sellers. (I've noticed that in the past year customer service has been leaning more towards the buyer than the seller.) They seem to be more interested in the customers and lining their own pockets. It may be time to get out or try other platforms. I think Amazon has already surpassed eBay and the gulf will only get wider.

kunaqueen
Adventurer

Nice ? to know that an increase is coming but I need to see the actual rates.  This percentage stuff is garbage. In years past eBay has given us the exact pricing for at least USPS First Class.

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Hi, @kunaqueen.

The Priority Mail Flat Rate Box and Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope prices for these products are:

Current

New

Small flat-rate box

$6.80

$7.15

Medium flat-rate box

Large flat-rate box

Large APO/FPO flat-rate box

Regular flat-rate envelope

Legal flat-rate envelope

Padded flat-rate envelope

kunaqueen
Adventurer

Thx. I appreciate your help. I don't  use any of the flame rate packaging so I am really needing to know the 3 iz to 16 oz prices.

by vintige · Thrill-Seeker | Updated
vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Hi, @kunaqueen.

Here are some helpful charts:

first-class-2016-rates-vs-2017.pngflat-rate-changes-2016-vs-2017.pngpriority-mail-2016-vs-2017.pngpriority-mail-2017-rate-changes-chart.pngregional-a-2016-vs-2017-1.pngregional-b-2016-vs-2017.png

kunaqueen
Adventurer

Great. Thx.

kunaqueen
Adventurer

Can anyone tell me how you save money going with Stamps.com? Thx

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Hi, @kunaqueen.

Can anyone tell me how you save money going with Stamps.com? Thx

When you ship with eBay, you get a big duscount. Why would you want to switch?

by dutc.will · Adventurer
dutc.will
Adventurer

JUST STARTED EBAY SELLING STORE AND ALREADY I'M PAYING $170.00 AND ONLY TAKING IN $500.00. NO PROFITS.   WHY DO IT!!!

suninternational
Adventurer

ONE THING I DON'T GET....

HOW COME CHINESE SELL AN ITEM FOR $2 AND FREE SHIPPING ALL THE WAY FROM CHINA, BUT,WE CAN'T EVEN COVER OUR SHIPPING COST FOR WAY MORE MONEY....

BEATS ME....

by readabouthorses · Guide

With the increase for the Priority Flat Rate Envelopes I expect to see even more Media Mail abuse in the Magazine Back Issues category. I've even had buyers get angry with me because I won't ship by Media Mail. They think because other sellers offer it then it must be OK, especially when many of those sellers abusing Media Mail are Top Rated Sellers.

by
Rockstar

With Trump (Exxon) entering the white house,  fuel prices are going to skyrocket. Expect that this will effect not this rate hike so much as future ones. Trump will protect his pocketbook which in turn will protect the top oil people. In fact proof of this is already out as ExxonMobil chief executive Rex Tillerson is Trump’s nominee to be secretary of state, to domestic regulatory agencies including the departments of Energy and Interior as well as the Environmental Protection Agency. All this is going to come down to high costs to transport goods.

I don't like the rate increase but just think what Fed Ex and UPS will do to you without USPS. USPS KEEPS THEM INLINE.

Just Saying

vintagejansjunk
Adventurer

Amazes me. Ebay encourage Free Shipping. So, I started doing that. Now I have to go back and raise all of my prices to suck up the increases. Back to buyer paying shipping if this is the case. Saves me a lot of extra time and frustration.

by
Rockstar

@shopclassicvinyl

Do not wish for privatization!!!! USPS rates are the only thing holding UPS and FedEx back.  FedEx and UPS have to maintain lower rates than they want because they have to stay competitive. USPS is based on breaking even. The postage is the income that pays for EVERYTHING. It is set in good part to cover maintenance, repairs, and daily costs. If it were to be privatized postage would rise by leaps and bounds. 

While yes, privatizing USPS would save the government billions it would also make shipping mail a free for all. And don't forget that USPS pays FedEx quite a hefty sum to fly mail. Without the income from USPS this would throw FedEx off kilter. Whoever buys USPS would have to either purchase planes or contract with FedEx who would now have more leverage. Which would result in higher postage.

by dianedbs · Adventurer
dianedbs
Adventurer

I sell crochet patterns and mail in large Manila envelope 9" x 12" weighing less than 3 ounces. . My local USPS is denied my shipping regular first class mail package/large letter stating I now have to mail it priority mail. Anybody having this problem?

by love2shop247 · Adventurer | Updated by Moderator
love2shop247
Adventurer

To the person who talked about the post office sucking: "USPS carriers are rude, they refuse to take packages and they have great benifits, decent wages and great hours." Yes, some post offices or people working at them do "suck," particularly in larger cities. For some reason, I've seen more attitudes there than in small/medium size town post offices.

But here's the reality of their "great hours" in Nov./Dec. My spouse is a mail carrier at a post office in a town of about 20,000. Each year, the Christmas rush begins earlier. It used to be mid-Nov., then early Nov., this year it started the last week in October and was absolutely relentless not only until Christmas but in the week following as well.For instance, Saturday, New Year's Eve, she didn't finish work until 7:30.

By the second week of Nov., instead of working from around 8 to 5:30, my better half was getting up at 5:15 to get to the post office by 6:30 a.m. and was getting home every night between 8 and 9 p.m. We live a half hour from the PO so subtract an hour for driving. The rest of that was all work. Her route typically gets 100-140 packages a day was now getting at least 250 a day. She was making two trips out a day--as were the other 50 routes in her office. They worked the entire season 10 subs short (basically non-full time employees that have to put in their dues to become benefitted full timers)--as they did the previous year. Their postmaster and second in command are a joke there, treat the subs like **bleep**, then seem surprised when they don't stay. They don't know how to interview to get good people to be subs (for instance, they hire millennials and then think they will work 7 days a week for the money--money doesn't motivate millennials and so they always quit, usually in less than two months), don't know how to train subs, don't know how to manage, don't know a thing about employee morale (one meeting literally started out with: I know most of you can't walk and chew gum at the same time but we need you to start doing...). So what I'm saying is no one that works for the post office, especially the carriers, gets to enjoy the Christmas season. My spouse didn't get to go to holiday parties or outings, got to help with very little holiday decorating, had little time to do holiday shopping, was so exhausted would be next to worthless on days off (when she wasn't working her days off--some at her office worked so many of their days off and had so many extra hours during the week they went over the maximum limit a payroll check can be cut for and it then took the post office nearly 10 days extra to get them their checks--all for helping them out of a bind!).

And speaking of overtime, they only got overtime for the month of December. So they busted all of November and got zero for it. You see, they are paid an assessed amount for their routes. And because the post office is huge and U.S government--translation: outdated and moving as slow as a dinosaur--they haven't realized or updated the fact that the holiday rush now begins a good 5-6 weeks earlier. Subs are hourly and always get paid overtime (thankfully) but permanent full timers only get overtime in December.

So if you think you want to deliver packages in the cold and in the dark and work 12-14 hour days 5-7 days a week all of Nov. and Dec., go ahead and apply at the post office. From what I know of my area, several post offices are short people so the same is probably true in your area too. Oh and if you think it's all cushy and easy in the summer, the LLVs they drive don't have air conditioning. We live in Atlanta so you can imagine how fun that is on a 90 degree day with 80% humidity.

by
Rockstar

In response to love2shop247. I'm a rural mail carrier. small combined office (2 zip codes) in all total we have 5 rural routes and 2 city routes. Our city carriers walk one 8 miles a day and the other 14 miles. Here in Ohio, we have already had our first sub-zero day. That day  I had close to 200 packages lol a rather light day for this time of year. 

At the point, I had only about an hour and a half left on the route my power steering went. locking everything up. (I fondly remember my old '72 Cutlass, without power steering I just she-hulked it around but not so today with one belt you are dead in the water. 

I called it in and a sub was sent to get the rest of the mail and deliver it. She also since she finishes the route she gets the routes pay for the day. That's right on the rural side he that finishes the route gets the cash. Me I got to sit in a non-running Jeep for the next hour waiting for the tow truck.  Oh, did I mention? this is MY Jeep we don't get an LLV. rural carriers more often than not need to provide their own vehicle capable of handling the route and its mail volume. My route is 97 miles long on mainly hilly dirt roads.  

Fast forward to this Friday at almost the same spot on the route, my transmission went out. Lost another day's pay but at least it was only in the 30*s Friday and I don't work Saturdays. Monday is a holiday so my long-suffering mechanic will jump on it first thing in the morning. If he can't get it done I'll have to use my back up, a '97 Honda CRV, left-hand drive of course so I'll be straddling the console, again. Rough on a 57-year-old body but I did this for 13 years as a sub. Yes, it took 13 years for me to work up the seniority to get my own route.  

Anyway, I sat in my forward motion deficient Jeep Friday and via my smartphone signed my life away on buying a 2010 RHD Jeep. I will fix my 2000 RHD Jeep and it will be my back-up (currently it has 265,000 miles on it), but you don't get rid of these until they can no longer be repaired, they are just not that plentiful. Though I could probably sell it to my sub for around $5000 as it sits. He wrecked his 2 weeks ago the day after my power steering went and the roads were very icy. 5 years ago I ROLLED the S10 I was using on the same type of road condition. Both of us were at a near stop when the tires just lost traction, a slow-mo wreck, he went slowly into a ditch hitting a stump first that bent the frame, myself I headed (not of my own accord) slowly to a bank where it slowly flipped me onto the side of the truck. 

Good days are where you drive with the window down getting a face full of road dust at every mailbox, or rained in on, or collect an inch or so of snow on your lap but you stay between the ditches and nothing breaks. Great days are when a kid leaves you a bouquet of dandelions or the Amish family leaves you a loaf of fresh baked bread. 

I do love my job but so many people are under the impression that it's an easy one, and that it is not.

by
Rockstar

Dang it! I did put paragraphs in that post, the format cut them out.

chickendinner916
Rising Star

Ugh...

Stamp prices have stayed consistent with the average annual rate of inflation since the Postal Service was formed in 1971.

Anyone know how I can save money with shipping??

All input will help!

by
Rockstar

The Postal Service was formed a bit earlier than 1971.

Link to "Colonial Times"Link to contents for "The history of the United States Postal Service"     Link to "Early Postal Legislation"

The Postal Service Begins

Three weeks after the battles of Lexington and Concord, the Second Continental Congress met in Philadelphia in May 1775 to plan for the defense of the colonies against British aggression and “to take into consideration the state of America.”4 The conveyance of letters and intelligence was essential to the cause of liberty. A committee, chaired by Benjamin Franklin and including Samuel Adams, Richard Henry Lee, Philip Livingston, Thomas Lynch, and Thomas Willing, was named to consider the creation of a postal system.

The committee reported back to Congress on July 25, 1775. The Continental Congress agreed to the committee’s recommendations on the following day, creating the position of Postmaster General, and naming Franklin to it. Richard Bache, Franklin’s son-in-law, was named comptroller, and William Goddard was appointed surveyor.

Under Franklin and his immediate successors, the postal system mainly carried communications between Congress and the armies. Postmasters and post riders were exempt from military duties so service would not be interrupted.

Benjamin Franklin served as Postmaster General until November 7, 1776. He was in office when the Declaration of Independence created the United States in July 1776, making Franklin the first Postmaster General of the United States. America’s present Postal Service descends from the system Franklin placed in operation.

soundsidestuff
Adventurer

Why aren't these rates declining to reflect the significantly lower cost of fuel for all of these carriers?? If the fuel prices were going up they would be slapping surcharges on their prices immediately.  Has anyone seen a price reduction because gasoline is now half the price it was a few years ago?

by
Rockstar

The carriers can't raise and lower postage with every fluctuation in fuel prices.  USPS can request a hike once a year. They will try to judge a balance between what projected costs will be and what the market can handle. It's a balancing act.

I get vehicle maintenance. This does fluctuate, it will raise and lower in conjunction with the average national gas prices.

Remember though where gas prices do go up and down. When was the cost of an oil change, tires, a replacement part or mechanics labor rates ever lowered?

Fun facts:

• Most Unusual Delivery Method—Mule train delivery in AZ. Each mule carries about 130 pounds of mail, food, supplies and furniture down the 8-mile trail to the Havasupai Indians at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, averaging 4,000 pounds per day.
  • Another Unusual Delivery Method — boat delivery on the Detroit River in Michigan. The JW Westcott is a 45-foot contract mail boat out of Detroit that delivers mail to passing ships. The JW Westcott has its own ZIP Code — 48222.
  • Another Unusual Delivery Method — dock-to-dock delivery on the Magnolia River in Alabama. A 15-foot contract mail boat delivers to 176 dock-side mailboxes on a 31-mile stretch of the river.
  • There are nearly 42,000 ZIP Codes in the country.
  • The lowest ZIP Code is 00501, a unique ZIP Code for the Internal Revenue Service in Holtsville, NY.
  • The highest ZIP Code is 99950 in Ketchikan, AK.
  • The easiest ZIP Code to remember is 12345, a unique ZIP Code for General Electric in Schenectady, NY.
  • The longest rural delivery route is in Mangum, OK. The carrier travels 187.6 miles daily and delivers to 240 boxes.
  • The shortest rural delivery route is in Carrollton, TX. The carrier travels 1.2 miles daily and delivers to 312 central delivery boxes.
  • The Postal Service moves mail using planes, trains, trucks, cars, boats, ferries, helicopters, subways, float planes, hovercraft, mules, bicycles and feet.
  • More than 652,000 tires were used on the postal fleet in 2015. If stretched end-to-end, these tires would span 144 miles.
  • The Postal Service ordered more than 888 million rubber bands in 2015.
    • Most Extraordinary— Peach Springs, AZ, Post Office has walk-in freezers for food destined for delivery to the bottom of the Grand Canyon by mule train.
    • Most Needing a Bridge — the Point Roberts, WA, Post Office can be reached by car only by driving through British Columbia, Canada. Only a boat or float plane can travel directly there.
    • Most Subterranean Facility — Stamp Fulfillment Services, located in Kansas City, MO, is located in a limestone cave 150 feet under-ground. It is the Postal Service’s only facility located in such an under-ground environment. The consistent, year-round temperatures and humidity levels in the caves allow the stamps to be maintained in mint-quality condition. The underground facility also keeps the inventory and employees safe from snow, flooding, winds and tornadic activity common in the Midwest.
by tcandm · Adventurer
tcandm
Adventurer

It's really simple..., they are pricing us little guys out of business.  I've been selling on eBay for years and with all the semi-annual eBay updates, the increases in eBay and PayPal fees and the increases in postage, what was really worth it is now running in the red each month.  And, to make matter worse, the addition of the big super stores takes away hope of competing on prices, so increasing my bottom line sales price to cover more increases means that no one will buy. 

I do have a theory that the USPS has been mandated to up the prices on shipping in an effort to drive the consumer back to the local stores and away from e-Commerce.  It is just a theory, but a PO friend of mine did confirm it about 2 years ago.  So, everyone hang on tight the ride is going to get rougher.......sadly!

oldmailtrain
Adventurer

It's just money, 

make it spend it, 

over and over, the best things in life are free

the best things in life are free

I knew that from the beginning 

I went on the ride anyway and now I am back at the beginning.

worn down and old almost broken

I am back at the beginning

where the best things in life are free

by unomecin · Adventurer
unomecin
Adventurer

I read all kinds of complaints about raising rates for USPS between 1.1% and 4.10%, even though it is before the discount we receive in addition to $100.00 Free Insurance.  As though it was a failing Government Agency, or eBay imposed hardship which will end your online business for an extra $0.25 per item.  Imagine paying UPS or FedEx prices on everything you ever send and I would have a similar complaint.

Costs Rise, and contrary to some haters, there are Zero (0) tax dollars used to fund the United States Post Office.  What Pays? Postage Period!   Junk Mail Pays, and when you get an insane 38% interest rate credit card offer, stuff that junk mail in the return envelope (they only pay for returned ones) so it has over sized additional manual handling cost charged.   It feels better than writing a hate letter to a Corrupt Financial Service. and helps to add funding to the Postal System offsetting the need to increase postage cost for our products.

I don't know about your shipments.  But I get packages from the Pacific Ocean to Florida, NY, etc.  In 2 days for under $6.00 with free insurance.  I can send to any U.S. Territory for the same cost with quick delivery.   No less, put 65lbs of steel (collated nails, whatever) in a box and have it go on an Airplane to Hawaii or Alaska in 3 days at $13-$18.  What service is going to do that for us if the Post Office is actually successfully lied about and closed just because certain members of Congress place Lobbyists and Corporate Profit above the Nations Citizens best interest.  

A great part of the USPS issue is in a deceptive attempt by your Representatives to Privatize mail delivery (end the USPS) they required the USPS as a Non-Tax Funded operation to prefund its long-term pension and healthcare liabilities today for 50 years of future estimated payments to be in account within 10 years.  Complements of the Congress (House of Representatives).  If they made the same demands of a Private Corporation It would be Unconstitutional.  Unfortunately, the Constitution States that Congress authority of the USPS.    Screw Darrel Issa and his bills that say as long as there is a competitive business within a given distance they want the rite to close Post Offices without public hearing, announcement, debate, or even evidence that said Post Office is not profitable, that Congress will have determination of the use of the Property acquired, etc... 

So here is my Gripe and it is not about paying $0.25 that I would not have to if not for the Majority in Congress, as their effect is 1000 times worse.  The time is here, everything is finally in place for the first time since Social Security was Established 1935, the Same with Medicare in 65.  It's been since 1928 that last time there was a full majority of Non-Big Government Believing Corporate Worshiping Politicians, and the result then was the Great Depression.   They got whipped when GW wanted to Privatize Social Security, but still push the Billionaires getting Million-dollar tax cuts = jobs B.S. almost 40 years after first proof it was a Financial Lie.  So, it can be more than you don't get to send a 15lb small flat rate package in 2 days at $5.90.  and probably will have multiple heavy cost prohibitive never sold again items.  Just as if everything is $10.00 minimum to ship.  How would you sell and send anything worth $10.00 Ever, Again?  Look forward to just getting a Voucher to pay for your Non-Government Medicare and the rest of the now higher cost bill is yours!   Social Security, Stock Market, just in time for the Crash.  Coupon for School Kids education, pay extra for good schools, or get the minimum with non-Certified Unregulated (you know the argument that competition exceeds regulation with superior services due to demand B.S.).  Secretary of Education Uses near unlimited Amway Funding promoting Privatization and does not believe in Public Education.   EPA head is against the EPA, ready to pump chemicals into your Federally Owned Land where you used to brag how pristine it is.  Now, at least you can enjoy up to 300 earthquakes daily while scavenging for potable water.  Because, who really thinks Scientists know more than Corporations that make the largest profits in world history.  The Big one, Exxon, they had their own scientists in the early 60’s making arguments against destroying the earth, now they have Lobbyists and dis-information campaigns as top budget priorities, and their Scientists are like Louie Gomert..

by
Rockstar

@tcandm

No USPS is not pushing people out of e-commerce. Not at all, they are getting more and more into it. 

The issue is the evolving of the items listed on eBay. Starting up eBay was mainly used items. I sell Vinyl LP's 78's 45's, I sell used books, and audiobooks. Used clothing. Vintage glass and pottery. Old tools, Vintage, used and new horse tack. And vintage housewares. My daughter sells vintage car and motorcycle parts. We still do very well with on average around a 80% sell through. Our minumum profit after the item, fees and shipping is 30%, if we can't make that it doesn't get listed. 

Sure thing, you can no longer snap up Black Friday deals and make bank on eBay with them. The Tickle Me Elmo days are over. Gone are the days you can toss anything on and have a bidding war. But profit can still be had. Just last week I purchased around 150 LP's with smoke damage for $5. Yes some are unplayable but most I was able to clean with a damp rag or a spritz of alcohol.  I have around  40 that will be cut for jewelry, book covers or clocks. The rest were graded and within 24 hours 2 sold @$15 each even with the disclosure that the covers have a slight smoke smell and one has a dark edge from a fire in an adjacent storage building where they were stored.

vintagefolksduo
Adventurer

Now that hard-sided mailers get treated as a package our paper ephemera shipments use 1st Class package....better to be safe than sorry except it may be time to just use soft sided and HOPE it is not mangled in a posting machine.  Our specialty used to be vintage American dishware....too expensive to ship now and price these reasonably, so have phased that out.  We're nearly 20 year veterans at eBay, are Top Rated with some benefits, but may not last past another year or two at this rate.  To see items we must list at market prices that do not allow for free shipping to boot.

As above, I agree..... "it really does seem like it's the smaller sellers taking the hit when it took lots of us to get the site where it is today."

wendalynrenee
Adventurer

So USPS is raising its rates once + every now?

lawlass1952
Adventurer

It seems to me that Ebay really doesn't care about the housewife (if there is such a thing anymore) or retired person just selling good quality used items to earn a few extra dollars to supplement their income. Ebay treats all sellers as if they rent a store.  Small sellers such as myself cannot charge a lot for used goods, no matter if our items are like new or in very good condition. We cannot compete with sellers who rent Ebay stores and sell new merchandise. We also cannot provide free shipping on most of the items we sell, since to do so would erase any profit we might make on our sales. Even at 2016 discounted shipping rates,  the charges averaged twice the price of the items I sold. Within the past 60 days, my seller commissions to EBay and PayPal totaled 30% of my total sales. Bye Bye free shipping, and Bye Bye EBay

by
Rockstar

Shipping costs never have had any bearing on the value of the item. It will cost more to ship a brick than a diamond ring.

I won't list anything that will not get me at least 30% profit over all of my expences.

That said I would LOVE to get my hands on your dresser. It matches my set perfectly I have the long mirrored 3 drawer dresser and the 4 drawer highboy and nightstand. We got them at an estate sale when my husband and I married back in 1982.

caitlin*jon
Adventurer

I'm not happy with the increased rates but I'll just try to make the best of it. If I have to take a little bit of a hit on the shipping, I will just work harder to make up for it. I just hope that buyers understand whats going on because the increased shipping makes some sellers look bad. Buyers assume we raise the shipping costs just because! I'm hoping my sales don't drop to much due to these increases. Good luck to all the sellers out there, let's show them that their increase won't affect us! Make 2017 your best year yet!!! Smiley Very Happy

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Great post, @caitlin*jon!

That's the spirit, everyone.

sailorsparadise
Adventurer

There are many complaints on the postage increases, but e Bay can help all honest sellers make a profit if they cleaned ther own house first.  A seller with an anchor store can list up to 10,000 items for a flat listing rate. plus of course the selling charges and pay pal fees.  So by changing even one letter in the description of an item, that seller can list the same identical item dozens of times.  With your single listing, how can you complete with someone who has listed, say 50 of of that same item?  I have reported these sellers, as I came across them, and eBay has done NOTHING to stop them.  98% of our listings are sewing patterns and I pay $2.60 now to ship a single pattern.  How to I complete with sellers who use Media mail, WHICH IS ILLEGAL,  and pay just over $1.00.  Do not complain about pennies for postage when eBay allows dollars in lower prices from these sellers.  If eBay even read any of the comments you've all listed in just the postage increase section, they would just ignore them anyway.  Just log into eBay on the home page.  Click on Find Store.  Check your store, if it is even listed, and check your item count against what is listed.  They don't match.  Check for a Name Brand you carry.  You won't find your True quantity listed.  If you should be in the top ten, you might be listed as 35 or even 75.  When I called customer service, they said customers never even used this to check out stores and merchandise. That is was an OLD program.  I asked, why not remove it?  No Response.  I sent a registered letter  to the CEO.  I got No Response.  The program is still there.  I am certain that hundreds, if not thousands, of you sellers have experienced similar problems in your own area of sales. I agree that eBay should NOT  charge a percentage on postage fees.  That is just so wrong!  So Ebay,  clean your own house and let the honest sellers make an honest profit.   

by cad777864 · Guide
cad777864
Guide

WE NEED TO FIGHT!!!!  NOW!!!  Send letters to Trump, Congress, USPS, and fight EBAY as well.

EBAY is not innocent in this, they entered into a Tri-Lateral agreement with CHINA AND USPS to give china these rates, USPS did this with Amazon and Etsy as well.  USPS did this willingly, google this, no one forced them to do it.  They lose a couple of billion every year with this, and how do they make it up?  Why they keep raising our rates, and this will CONTINUE as long as WE allow it.  The people out there spreading LIES to try and make you shut up will continue as well.

The old "the government forces them" blah blah.

I for one sent my letters off to USPS, EBAY, TRUMP, and whoever else i could think of to fight this, USPS will try to claim these raises are not to cover there china loses, more LIES.  

Ebay gets a volume discount, if you notice, last January when USPS rates went up, we also lost our discount with ebay, but china's shipping went from 99 cents to 88 cents.  They got another discount. 

I know that ebay started charging us sellers for shipping because sellers were inflating the shipping cost to pay no fees, BUT, all ebay needs to do is NOT CHARGE A FEE ON THE LABEL you print.  That is it.  

These rate hikes TO PAY FOR CHINA have become out of control and just because ebay is in partnership with CHINA .....

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-agreement-with-northern-chinese-city-is-a-welcome-boost-fo...

Does not mean they all have to destroy our business's to have it.

I say we go after USPS to end  US AMERICANS paying for a COMMUNIST country, and EBAY can STOP charging us 10% on shipping labels, "for they would see the exact cost we are paying for shipping", stop being complacent people, that's just what they want you to do!  Write emails, call, fight fight fight!

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

@cad777864, WOW. You are going to go and blow up the eBay Headquarters JUST to save a couple bucks for shipping???

by
Rockstar

@cad777864

FYI,  USPS didn't 'willingly' make a deal with China.  It is actually with various countries, China just ran with it. You can read about it here  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/12/the-postal-service-is-losing-millions-a-...

I'd go into greater detail but I'm kinda racked up right now. My RHD Jeep was down and I had to use our CRV and sit on the console and straddle to deliver mail yesterday. I delivered mail like that for 13 years but I'm just too old and my current route too long and rough. 

Anyway writing Congress and USPS will do little. Writing Trump, well that's a laugh, maybe you can try 'tweeting' him. Anyway, Trump only cares about what goes into Trumps pocket, you may ride along on something that would benefit him but if you expect him to actually do anything for the little guy, dream on.

srsbasemntbargains
Adventurer

Customers like FREE SHIPPING. However, this hike means I will have to raise the prices of my items even more so I can try & make a buck on the item while also covering the shipping costs. Some customers don't get the idea of what goes into packing & shipping costs.

Already have to pay out the final value fees, listing fees, etc. Just doesn't seem right. Like thousands of other Ebay'ers, it's how I make my living...and I'm not even a reseller.

Besides, USPS just raised rates in August 2016....This is getting really frustrating.

by tcandm · Adventurer
tcandm
Adventurer

Yes....you are correct...FRUSTRATING....is not strong enough!

rf57672012
Rising Star

Read the comment of sellers listing 100.00 items for .99 and shipping at 99.00.  So eBay charges a commission on shipping.  Really you penalize all your sellers because you have unethical sellers taking you for a ride here's a thought ban the people violating the platform, if you don't take care  of your sellers that are doing business the right way you'll wake up and they will be gone. 

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Read the comment of sellers listing 100.00 items for .99 and shipping at 99.00.  So eBay charges a commission on shipping.  Really you penalize all your sellers because you have unethical sellers taking you for a ride here's a thought ban the people violating the platform, if you don't take care  of your sellers that are doing business the right way you'll wake up and they will be gone. 

@rf57672012, yes it does not seem very fair at times.

If you ran the eBay company, what would you have done about it?

Ebay + PayPal could give the community a very big savings. "Quit charging us a commission on the shipping rates."

Specially the ones who pay monthly store rental or have an official e-store subscription, they shoud seprate these charges as we do offer free shipping to clients sometimes even thou they do know what we actually pay for shipping costs during postage checkouts on ebay. Kind of unfair & the ever increase in USPS postage is killing us & the customers!

• I believe both eBay & PayPal should consider this in support of the entreprenuerships of their sellers if we are truly working together.

• They should build a system to seperate drop shippers from discount benifits since they have no proof of purchase of the postage confirming this act as they physically don't posess the items they sell much.

• Only real sellers with physical products who practically ship their own items to customers should earn their share of hard work input as a benefit to shipping postage waived apart from ebay + PayPal commision charges. Whereas many US sellers, don't actually posess any products physically as they drop ship from chinese sellers who are selling items for below .99 cents or from external websites. Infact, they are only buliding market demand of external websites by doing s

• Dear eBay, please do something as the white collor corporate officials are not helping much giving you guys any bright ideas to get things booming to excel your corporation's future, as I do know that this is what every CEO/Chairman of corporate officers love to pay some lazy dumb minions to share insights & ideas due deligence. PLEASE DO SOMETHING! MANY COMPETITORS ARE ARE ON THE UPRISE AS WE DISCUSS THESE ISSUES. eBAY SALES ARE DROPPING COMPARED TO OTHER VENUES. Thanks for reading, any questions or need more ideas or help? Please contact me anytime as I have a resume of experience built for it. Thanks.

theluckyfin1
Adventurer

Don't know if it has been posted, but here is a page w/ the new 2017 price chart for Commercial Plus....

http://shippingeasy.com/usps-2017-shipping-rate-changes-flat-rate-priority-first-class-w-tables/

noaharkkids
Adventurer

I agree with most. The shipping rates have gone up year after year but this is not an eBay issue. The information eBay provided above just tells us the rates are going up but not what we will be paying. The biggest issues I have is that we get charged fees from eBay and PayPal on the shipping costs as well as the item price. I understand some sellers charge way too much for shipping and that is why eBay probably charges on the shipping too but for those sellers who are honest in their shipping pricing, it just seems unfair to charge on an amount we do not make money on but lose in the end. There has to be a better way. If you buy your shipping through eBay, they should be able to tell what amount you spent on that as well as PayPal and that amount should not be calculated into the fee amount we pay. On a side note, the store pricing keeps going up as well and speaking for myself, what I get is not what I want in the packaging of the store combos. 

vintige
Thrill-Seeker

Don't know if it has been posted, but here is a page w/ the new 2017 price chart for Commercial Plus....

http://shippingeasy.com/usps-2017-shipping-rate-changes-flat-rate-priority-first-class-w-tables/

----------

@theluckyfin1, yes, that has been posted already.

by tvr-inc · Scout
tvr-inc
Scout

But still the people who sell on Ebay from China can ship to the US cheaper than you can ship within the US. Thank the US postal service for making that deal. Ever see the items selling from china that sell for $.99 and free shipping.