cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers,

It’s been a little more than a month since stepping into my new role as the head of eBay’s U.S. business, and I’m eager to keep up a regular cadence of updates and progress. I’m also a bit amazed that we’re already just days away from Thanksgiving in the U.S., and for that I want to share my gratitude to you—our sellers—for the passion, perseverance and partnership you continue to deliver.

As we dive into the holidays, I wanted to take a moment to reflect and connect with you on a few of my (current) favorite things:

Celebrating Small Business

As we head into the holidays, we’re approaching an economic landscape that is very different from the last couple of years, where systemic supply chain disruptions, coupled with record-levels of online shopping, led people to explore eBay with a newfound zeal. Fast forward to today, and we’ve leveraged that momentum to enhance the buying and selling experience across several categories. From expanding Authenticity Guarantee and the introduction of the eBay vault, to beta-testing Live Commerce, launching eBay International Shipping and enhancing your listings with new video and images capabilities, the investments we’re making reflect our resolve to help you grow your businesses.

To further support your entrepreneurial creativity and drive, this season we’re running a seller-centric campaign entitled “Home of Small Business. Always.” to make it clear that every day is a celebration of sellers and small business on eBay. Across social media channels and on the site we’re rolling out a steady drumbeat of unique and inspirational seller stories designed to drive attention to your incredible inventory and accomplishments. We’ve curated them all in one place—I hope you’ll visit ebay.com/always and check it out!

eBay’s 2022 Small Business Report

We also recently released our 2022 Small Business Report, which surveyed thousands of sellers (if you were contacted and responded, thank you) across the U.S., U.K., Canada and Australia to examine how you start, run and grow your businesses.

The findings show that many of you—more than 7 out of 10—joined the eBay marketplace to support your families, create new income streams or to turn a personal passion into a profession, with 91% of you saying that “being your own boss” is a key driver behind your eBay businesses. We learned that through eBay, over 80% of you turned a personal passion into a business, and more than 70% rely heavily on the marketplace to keep your businesses going.

Surveys like these add to our understanding of how you use and view eBay. Of all the facts the study surfaced, none humbled me more than to learn that over 70% of you strongly believe that eBay only wins when you—our sellers—win. Feedback like this is what lifts and inspires me and all of eBay at work each day. My promise to you: that eBay will strive to raise those numbers even higher in support of your hard work and big dreams.

eBay’s Most Wanted Gifts

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, this holiday we’re still expecting shoppers to approach their gift lists with a willingness to spend, while coupled with a more prudent and selective approach to their gift-giving strategy. It’s an ideal situation for eBay because ‘perfect gifts’ are where we shine. 

I can personally relate: My Dad, a retired teacher, is a British history buff. Each year I challenge myself to find him the most individualized holiday gift I can find—this has included busts of his favorite historical figures and old maps of where he lives in England. Last year, I tackled this with a trading cards twist, but instead of doling out for a Michael Jordan rookie card, I found (where else but through an eBay seller) cards from the early 1900s of people my father considers ‘heroes’ of British history! 

With this in mind, I wanted to follow tradition with a curated look at the trend-setting, sought-after and memorable selection you’re providing to our millions of shoppers this holiday season. Check out the slideshow below—maybe you’ll find your own inspiration and ideas for listings and giftings!

Wrapping Up

I’m incredibly cheerful for this holiday season, for the new year ahead, and for the many opportunities 2023 will bring to connect with you, hear from you and partner with you. Mostly I’m grateful for all that you do—every day—to make eBay the amazing community and platform it is. May your Thanksgiving be full of loved ones, happiness, and plenty of pie. And, as always, a heartfelt thank you for selling on eBay!

With gratitude,

Adam Ireland

GM and VP, eBay U.S.

Under50.pngUnder100.pngUnder 500.pngUnder2000.png

Gamer.pngTrendsetter.pngRecessReady.pngAs seen on tV.pngPop Culture.pngRefurbished.pngJetsetter.pngWFH Pro.pngGizmo.png

Vintagefashion.pngMotorhead.pngToys.png

Handbags.pngWatches.pngCollectiblesBoards_17.pngJewelry.pngSneakers.png