cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every day I wear an eBay t-shirt to work. I’m so proud of the brand and believe in its mission – one that’s carried out with the help of thousands of employees and hundreds of thousands of sellers, and supported by millions of buyers. eBay is about connecting people – it’s a company that was founded on the idea that people are basically good. 

It pains me to write this, and you may have already seen the very disturbing news. Last year, some of our employees acted maliciously and harassed a blogger, who writes about the company, and her husband. Once this was brought to our attention, we investigated and those individuals were immediately terminated. Since then, as authorities conducted their own investigation, eBay has cooperated fully in every aspect. Neither the company nor any current employee was indicted. 

This is the first time –  at the request of law enforcement – that anyone from the company is allowed to speak about the events. eBay will never tolerate this kind of behavior and has apologized to those who were affected.   

As sellers, I imagine you feel as shocked and saddened as I do. Working at eBay has been a badge of honor for me for more than 12 years. Many of you have sold on the platform and built your businesses on eBay for 25 years. Like me, you choose to be here. There are many places you could sell, and many places I could work, but eBay has always been unique and special. That comes from the integrity of our community - our unwavering commitment to supporting each other as we find ways to improve. 

My top priority after rejoining eBay as head of North America was to rebuild the seller organization. And thanks to your candid - and often pointed - feedback we’ve made some significant changes. Through your willingness to share your personal experiences, we’ve been able to get better. While eBay still has a long way to go, there has been progress in recent months and we continue to be in service to you.  

I want to be able to tell you that this news won't be a distraction, but that wouldn't be true. Like many of my colleagues who try their very best to make eBay a great company, I am angry and frustrated. What we do know definitively: these were isolated incidents and not a systemic issue. All employees are very clear on their mission: our community of buyers and sellers are the customer, and you come first.  

For those of you who know me personally, I’ve always been transparent - sometimes to a fault. This will never stop, and I am more dedicated than ever to being your trusted partner. We will always continue to strive to live up to your expectations.  

Tomorrow, I will put on an eBay shirt and work my hardest - bringing the same focus and integrity to this job that I did on my very first day, back in 2004. While this is the most disappointing moment I’ve experienced as an employee and as a leader, I know what this brand stands for - and that will never change. 

-Jordan