cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image search option in the latest version of the app?

Previously it was possible to perform an image search in the eBay app by using a camera icon appearing the search bar, and from there choose to take a picture, select a picture from the gallery, or scan a bar code.

In the latest version of the eBay app, I now only see the option to scan a bar code; no icon for the camera or options for image searches in the search bar.

Has the feature been moved elsewhere, or has it been removed entirely from the eBay app?

Others have noticed the omission lately as well.

@janice1980-7 

@boatingo-83 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@eburtonlab 

Thank you for the question. The image search functionality has been temporarily turned off for both the iOS and Android apps. If you see other posts perhaps they could be linked to this one.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

Do we have an ETA as to when the function will return?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Why would they turn it off???

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

This is costing me money. If this doesn’t get fixed soon. I’ll be going out of business. 
please fix soon. 

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@eburtonlab and anyone else here who used this feature frequently - had you noticed any problems with it recently before they disabled it?

I saw a comment on social media from someone who said they noticed it was gone now, but it hadn't been working for them for about a month any way - apparently when they tried to use it, the search would always return 0 results for listings but would display categories based on the image instead.

I'm not sure if that is related or a common issue, it just made me think that could be a possible reason for it being disabled - maybe there was a tech issue causing 0 results in error for some users and they took it down temporarily until they can fix it?

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Why. The question is why?

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Why? The question is why?

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

This needs to be fixed a.s.a.p.. Not a perfect system as sometime item did not come up but better than nothing. Also, this last couple weeks I noticed that it kept giving me a 0 for results in some things I knew for a fact was on Ebay. If I can't get a picture of an item, and then get a value, I might not put it on & then not only do I lose money but Ebay is losing money. This is badly needed.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I had that issue also....0 results when I would search with camera feature.  Glad to know it wasn't my phone.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Thanks @shalimar-x and @ebabey - that brings it up to 3 reports now that I've seen of it showing 0 results in error for a few weeks before it was disabled. Not exactly conclusive results I know, but maybe a clue about what is going on?

@mobile_feedback I'm seeing many people across social media and the community here that are upset about this abrupt change. A little communication goes a very long way in these situations - even just a message saying "down for maintenance" (if that is the case) would really help alleviate user concerns.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

My camera icon is totally gone on my Android phone it went away a couple days ago the only search I can do is a voice search very frustrating. Cannot seem to get any answers or help.

Screenshot_20211229-110126.png

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@gails_new_and_vintage 

Did you read the first response to the thread you are replying to?

eBay has removed the feature from the app temporarily.

You should still be able to perform an image search using a search engine to identify an item, then search for the item on eBay by name.

One possible option:

https://lens.google/

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Google Lens has worked for me exactly ONE time out of dozens and dozens of attempts. The eBay image search worked for me ALMOST EVERY time. It blows my mind that  this would be disabled. I certainly hope it will be back —SOON—or eBay will be losing a LOT of money. 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I'm glad I read all of the posts. I've been struggling trying to fix the issue thinking it was something I did. I agree to your solution, but it is inconvenient and time consuming. I'm hoping eBay will find a solution soon. Offering both options would be the best solution.  At least now, I'm not going to waste anymore of my time trying to fix it in Settings. Thanks to everyone!

Message 15 of 30
latest reply