cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Photos for Your Listing? Mine Are Awful!!!

Hello All!

I recently (today) put one of my "first tries" landscapes for auction, but I ended it, because the photo was just awful!  Does ANYONE out there know the tricks of the trade to get your miniature to look right for your listing.  I use a high pixel camera and then resize. If I resize the long side to about 300 pixels it looks okay, 500 pixels not so good, and the enlargement makes me cringe!  I don't have PhotoShop but I do have a basic editing program and I can "edit" my camera!

I've attached the ended listing for any suggestions.  I was hoping to supplement my disability income with ACEOs, but, alas, WHO would want to buy something like this! 

Any editing/camera hints would be very much appreciated.  I understand my watercolors, not so much my camera.  I've been teaching myself landscapes, and I may have overworked?  Help please!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hi, I usually resize my main picture to 500px on the long side ( I'd love to resize smaller so it shows the ACEO's actual size (looks sharper too like you say) but ebay US has a minimum of 500px last I checked). I think ebay uk showes up the images smaller & sharper but they have a hefty listing charge (thats why you may see some ACEO listings that have smaller images and look better, I think ).. I usually scan my ACEO's though, then edit with photoshop to get the tone and hue as accurate as possible. Your image looks quite good though.. My suggestion would be to take pictures of your work on a not too sunny not too dull time of day (if it is watercolours your photographing, works with a sheen need different conditions). This lighting should give you quite an accurate capture of the tones and hues of your piece.. I also usually need to have something I can rest my hand on to capture a sharp image....and that is as far as my camera knowledge goes..lol

And your watercolour is lovely! If this is a bad image of the real piece I wish I could see the original!.. 

ebay page

website

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I went to the UK site, and, yes, I do believe they have better art images.  Since I wrote this, I have tried taking another photograph, resizing it, and changing the color to "darken" - I came up with better results.  Still not so good...there's quite  difference between taking a photo of a book and a very small size art work...ah well...I'm hoping others will know there is a difference. 

I paint and draw my images to the size of the paper...prints may work better?  What irks me is the talented artists who paint larger pictures and then sell images in the ACEO format....grrrrrr, seems to go against the heart of miniature painting!

Thank you again!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I usually scan my images but when I do use my camera, I take several shots in the shade. I lay the Aceo down on the pavement and stand directly over it taking close up shots and shots further away. I have discovered that sometimes the shots from further away are the best for these small paintings. Then you can use your photo editing program to crop the image and adjust the colors accordingly.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

t.r., What a good idea.  I have a high pixel camera, and bought a tiny little stand, which keeps it close to the painting, plus I use the macro setting.  I may be getting detail from the camera that the eye, which "mixes" the colors...cameras don't mix colors.  Hmmm, I will try that!  Thank you!

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sorry I haven't been around.

I always scan images. And I've learnt to manipulate them if I need adjustments. Photos just don't represent the best side of paintings, especially watercolors. Lovely work BTW!

I use a very cheap all-in-one printer, copier, scanner (Epson XP-400). But there are cheaper ones available.

~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

To take photos I sometimes use a 'studio-in-a-box'. I managed to buy one for around $50 off eBay a long time ago. You can maybe set up one yourself with some much cheaper materials - have a look at one of these to see what you think. The camera goes on a small tripod.

But with art photos, I usually find I have to adjust them a lot more than if I scan them, to get them close to the original.

All my best. 

~Jillian

artist, Jillian Crider

... google me!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have an Epson Stylus NX-105 All-in-One, and is probably one of the cheapest Epson ever made that I bought brand new about 8 years ago for less than 50 bucks. It scans my watercolors almost true-to-color and much, MUCH better than my newer expensive HP printer all in one.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I use a scanner. That gives the best squared image. Taking photos outside, away from direct sunlight also works. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply