cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay surveys-Do they really help or not?

Do you think these surveys really make a positive difference? I got another one yesterday.I've always filled them out in the past.I get one one every few months or so,but now I'm starting to wonder if it really does make any difference since it seems to be they do the opposite of what needs to be done anyway? The areas that really need changing in never seem to happen.Where sellers really need back up and to have buyers stop taking advantage of sellers only seems to get worse,not better so can't help wondering if they use these surveys for the opposite reason we think their for? Just curious of others opinions pn them.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

moesotherstuff
Enthusiast

I always see how a survey is designed....there is a science or art to it. Often surveys are put out by interest groups and structured in such a way as to support their agendas. Internal stuff in large companies will be no different...There are factions and agenda's within the corporation. 

Large companies often feel they feel they have to do it ...it is politically correct to ask for input even if you don't want it. Sort of like getting a Christmas card from your insurance company.

Ebay will be no different. That said. It doesn't mean their survey's are ill intentioned or that they didn't collect data and act according to the data. You just don't know and can't because most companies don't understand closing the communication loop is the critical piece. Even if they sent out a email to all respondents..

1) this was the survey...

2) these were the responses...

3) this is what we are doing...

4) this is why we are doing it

I do think that a better way would be to scan these boards for repetitive ongoing problems and address them. These boards are filled with intelligent buyers and sellers...often times the same problems come up again and again. By address them I don't even necessarily mean fix them. Although- if possible - that's a good thing. Give a considered Corporate response of the issue from ebays perspective. Understanding the reasoning behind policy is always good.

I never answer a survey unless 

1) I'm interested in the subject

2) The compiled data will be made available to me.

I'm off my soap box...thanks for reading

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

TaaDaa, I don't know how much it helps, but I filled out an ebay survey on customer service many months ago.  It included several essay questions which I put a lot of thought into.  Several weeks later I was called by the new head of customer service.  We spoke for over 45 minutes about ebay in general and CS in particular.  I've seen some small changes in seller protection since then.  He told me that the man who created ebay (can't remember his name) is taking a more active role on the board of directors.  I got the impression that he is not happy with the way we (the "little" people who began ebay) are being treated and advocates for us.  Only time will tell if there are any meaningful changes.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Pierre Omidyar - eBay founder.  He designed the site's original coding over a few days in September, 1995 on his personal time.  Auction Web, later eBay, was launched on Labor Day that same year.

BTW, "eBay" was originally the name of the service that hosted Auction Web, with the name taken from Omidyar's consulting firm, Echo Bay Technology Group.

(And they say marijuana smoker's have no memory.  Ha!  The only things I looked up in typing those 2 paragraph's above was the correct spelling of Omidyar's name, and the exact Wiki link.)

Alright enough useless trivia.

If you want to have a voice, you must participate.

eBay staff do monitor these boards to get member feedback.  IIRC, the Buyer Protection policy was modified after many threads about buyer abuse on the Seller Central and (surprisingly) Buyer Central boards.  Though I cannot completely confirm that.

eBay also monitors the responses they get from questionnaires and surveys.  These are common marketing and operations tools that companies use to get feedback about a variety of issues.  While the writing may be agenda-driven, and the responses slightly tainted from time to time, most eBay surveys that I've completed have been standard and mundane.

If you want to help, then completing eBay's surveys is a good way to do so.  Posting on these boards is another good way.  If a change is needed, letting eBay staff "hear your voice" through participation is the only way to affect the situation.

One important thing to remember is that those of us who post on these boards have a different perspective than most other people regarding eBay.  We have our time invested in helping others on the site, whereas the general public, and frankly eBay's membership at large do not.

As such, the feedback that eBay receives and supposedly uses from these tools may not lead to changes that we would like or expect to see.  It would be interesting to survey board members, and the general membership with the same questionnaire, to see if and how responses differed.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

EBay surveys are computer generated to make it look like they care about what we think, but in reality I doubt they even read them. They recently sent me a survey to do after a bad situation arose from their totally wrong intervention in a sale of mine [caused me much anxiety and unnecessary work] and the link doesn't even work. So they didn't get a reply, and they are sending me emails saying I haven't replied. Too big and to impersonal!!!

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe filling out a survey can not hurt and may even help!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

passline
Scout

Don't waste your time.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Yes, I think the surveys can help. When I first started selling, ebay still had insertion fees. Well, after listing a few times & no bites, losing money, I waited until they ran a listing special. Listing specials were few & far between back in 2008 & 2009.

Every time ebay sent me a survey, I told them I was a small seller & paying insertion fees over & over, waiting for that buyer to come along would eat up any profit I hoped to make.

Also told them buyers weren't always going to ebay first to find things, since a zillion new internet shopping sites had opened up compared to what things were in 2000. Software came out that let people design their own ecommerce websites & ebay had a lot more competition for shoppers' online dollars.

Now small sellers get 50 free a month. Not saying I'm special and they took my excellent advice - I am sure they heard the same thing over & over from other small sellers.

What lynscat said about surveys that allow essay replies - I think those are the best ones. Lot so times the survey designers have a really narrow view. Perhaps they want a specific answer, but I think the best surveys always have at least one open question where the survey-taker can give additional thoughts on the subject.

I do feel like I've wasted my time when they are yes/no or "rate this from 1-5" surveys.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

"Decisions are made by those who show up." - President Josiah Bartlett, character, The West Wing

So, if you want your opinion heard, or at least have it be part of a summary report discussed by eBay managers, then filling out the surveys is a good idea.  eBay will only know what sellers want, if sellers get their opinions discussed in the room.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I fill out all eBay surveys received. That being said, do I believe they help? No so much.

Something similar to what BBF posted, "If you ain't part of the solution-you're part of the problem.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Do ebay surveys help?

ABSOLUTELY!!!  Based on survey results, they have just announced a 50% reduction in seller fees.Folks stating no returns will no longer be liable for refunds, and each seller will now earn 1 "ebay buck" for every listing completed.  Also addressing concerns, ebay will from now on only use english speaking customer service reps.

Following suit with suggestions made through eBay, PayPal will now offer it's services for free, and become a non-profit organization funded only through donations from happy buyers.

Naw.....just kidding!  It's a waste of time....LOL

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

100% in agreement. No doubt I'll be put on probation or something for agreeing! No options for sellers. Buyer is never correct unless selling item at huge loss, seller must agree that every buyer is correct, even when they're not. Buyer is always compensated at sellers cost. Seller can never win customer resolution case. And if you do you will be penalized. Three negatives in 30 years will crash your business. EBay is a messed up algorithm. There is no human that can't make a decision. There is simply no remedy for any seller complaint. No remedies whatsoever, never ever, ever! This must be what getting a DUI is like! Costly, never comes off your record, and all the other negative effects. I think I'd go for the DUI & frustration cocktail! EBay will penalize me some how for saying this. And there will be no recourse for me.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

You must live in a dream world.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Change your programming, change the algorithm, quit with the ridiculously low percentage raise that will knock you out of business. Start looking at sellers and all the effort we go through to sell an item. It will be perfectly and accurately describe and pictured yet the fire is always right. This is not correct. Hair is nothing personal about this experience. After 30 years, surveys do absolutely no good.
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Living in a dream world
Message 15 of 19
latest reply