cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

I agree 100%. I will not be using ebay for selling anymore. Too expensive, between their fees, PayPal fees and shipping fees there is just no profit. I will only use them for buying and let someone else take the hit.
Message 301 of 438
latest reply

Just used Ebay after not using for about of year and was shocked at the fees.  Well Ebay umm..won't be sellign with you guys anymore and unlikely to buy as someone is taking a big hit..show that at your next board meeting and get rid of the genius raising fees..can you say craigslist.  Not in business to give away things mate

Message 302 of 438
latest reply

The fees aren't really that high, IF you are selling stuff and aren't hassled with a LOT of returns.  This has not been my experience lately, however... far from it, actually.  I probably won't leave here, but I am already in the process of transitioning a lot of my items elsewhere, to a specialty site for my category where there is actually more traffic than I'm seeing here...AND, I might add, I am showing up in google searches again from my listings there.  WINNING.

Message 303 of 438
latest reply

"Just used Ebay after not using for about of year and was shocked at the fees. "

The FVF hasn't changed for several years, so your shock is misplaced.
Message 304 of 438
latest reply

I literally wanted to cry today with ebay fees. remember we used to have 100 free auction style  listings for an upgrade $50 a month store subcription? but no, ebay decided to charge $175 a month to give 100 auction styles listings now, all my items are stuck, but I can't subscribe to this expensive option because my items are no priority to buy items, I sell one today and maybe one in 3 days..  so I am soo upset that I talke to my husband today and use only fixed listings and look for a job because this selling is killing me. not worth it anymore to sell on ebay, they became soo expensive that I am frustrated and dissapointed 😞 ebay dont help sellers , years ago I had some hope but now I have none 😞 

Message 305 of 438
latest reply

@shoptreat wrote:

but no, ebay decided to charge $175 a month to give 100 auction styles listings now, 

$175/YEAR, not month

Message 306 of 438
latest reply

Just adding a few observations.. Listing fees- Categories that counted as your free per month. Alottment are no longer. (.25 to .30 cents adds up  I am also phasing out of eBay....

Message 307 of 438
latest reply

I have tried to understand where people are getting the idea that that the fees aren't that bad. The fees are ridiculous.  Between Paypal and ebay fees, it is not worth selling.  The topper was getting a final value fee on shipping! Why do we pay thirty cents for paypal, while Paypal is charging us a fee too?    I have decided to look at other auction sites to see if I can move.  I am not a huge seller so any suggestions? If I am complaining, I don't even want to think about the big sellers.    Once again a company plays with something that was working fine and is slowly driving it into the ground.  Greed, good old greed.

Message 308 of 438
latest reply

@logico50 wrote:

I have tried to understand where people are getting the idea that that the fees aren't that bad.

They aren't that high.  Ebay is nothing more than a consignment house.  Call a local consignment auction place... most charge 35% or more.  10 percent is cheap by comparison. 

The fees are ridiculous.  Between Paypal and ebay fees, it is not worth selling.  The topper was getting a final value fee on shipping!

Why do we pay thirty cents for paypal, while Paypal is charging us a fee too?

ALL credit card processors charge a fee, and many of them, unless you do a LOT of business with them, charge very similar rates to Paypal, both in a per-swipe fee and in the percentage they charge you.  Why would paypal be any different?

I have decided to look at other auction sites to see if I can move.  I am not a huge seller so any suggestions? If I am complaining, I don't even want to think about the big sellers.    Once again a company plays with something that was working fine and is slowly driving it into the ground.  Greed, good old greed.

I don't disagree with your last part at all.  I think you have a very valid point.... and all this started a couple years ago when eBay was caught by Google using hidden keyword spam in everyone's listings.  THAT is why our listings no longer show up in a Google search.  And, of course, with all the new rules that are not very seller-friendly, lots of sellers are leaving.

The new "defect" system is a major problem for sellers, too, including myself.  I had a buyer open a return, but never send me the item back, yet I have a defect on my account at this point still from it.  The return will close in my favor in a day or two, unless by some off-chance the item actually does show up at my mailbox before then.  I have not sold a single item here since the defect because of this return (if you didn't know, defects make you fall out of search results here, so buyers aren't seeing my items, I assume... I don't know why else I would go from selling a couple items a day to not selling ANY in over 20 days), this return was opened on July 3rd.   I have sold multiple items on the other site I am listed on, however, so eBay is shooting themselves in the foot.  Also, my listings on the other site ARE showing up in Google search, REGULAR Google search and NOT Google Shopping.  If you search a couple of my items, I am the first result in a Google search, but not my listings here, it's my listings elsewhere.  And, I'm seeing more traffic on my other listings as a result.  eBay COULD fix this if they'd swallow their pride and try to get Google to the table and try to make things right with them again, but they simply have not/will not, for whatever reason, and it's costing us all.

Message 309 of 438
latest reply

Yup too expensive to sell and now causing it to be too expensive to buy on EBay. Including shipping in the final value fee is double dipping.

Message 310 of 438
latest reply

Ebay is over as far as I'm concerned.

I can sell locally via Craigslist and not have to worry about Paypal, credit cards, making cartons, printing shipping labels ... or the 10% rip on both the item AND shipping.

Ebay is a business that is supposed to make money but it is pricing itself into bankruptcy.

Bye bye, Ebay.

Message 311 of 438
latest reply

You did nothing wrong! That's how they charged everyone. TOO EXPENSIVE!!!

Message 312 of 438
latest reply

Must admit, I'm shocked at the new fees too after not having used ebay to sell for quite some time. 10% seems pretty high considering the volume of sales and the fact ebay doesn't need to actually "handle" any good like a normal auction house does. It does smack of greed to me. I'll certainly be considering selling in other places from now on.

Message 313 of 438
latest reply

Haven't sold on here in awhile and will never do so again. Way way WAY too many fees and being charged a value fee for shipping is almost corrupt and at the very least, insulting with double-dipping Paypal fees already in place.

Already stopped buying as much stuff due to outrageous postal costs.

Sorry eBay, used to really liek visiting the site and doing business....you lost me.

Message 314 of 438
latest reply

Yes ebay is expensive. Im trying to sell my products and ebay and PayPal make more profit than I do. I make 11bucks, ebay and PayPal combine are 21 bucks... wth.. ebay is great for people who sell stolen items. But for people like us we get stumped on
Message 315 of 438
latest reply