cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

15% is a lot better than the 35% our local auction house would charge. Plus you get a wider audience on eBay.

Having a store only affects the insertion fees for fixed price items, not the final value fee or the PayPal fee. You can get your PayPal fees lower by signing up for a business account and doing several thousand dollars a month in payments.
Message 2 of 438
latest reply

kris*scloset619
Enthusiast
Here's a tool you can use to predict your fees so they don't surprise you.

http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

You can get a 20% discount if you're a top rated seller.
No Bad Days Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 3 of 438
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
ou can get your PayPal fees lower by signing up for a business account and doing several thousand dollars a month in payments.

Really? I have the business account, now I just need the several thousand dollars a month in payments.

LOL!!

Baby steps, right?

To the OP, if I keep my overhead under 20%, I am one happy camper!
Message 4 of 438
latest reply

15% is a lot better than the 35% our local auction house would charge. Plus you get a wider audience on eBay.

But this ISN'T your local auction shop.

It is 100% more than Craigslist charges.
It is 100% more than myGEAR charges.
It is 100% more than the bulletin board at Safeway or the Library charges.
It is 100% more than a Yard Sale would cost.
It is a lot more than the Ponderosa charges.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 5 of 438
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
And those other places do not sell to 100's of thousands of people either.
I really never had a problem with ebay's fees but with MOST of there anti seller policies.
Message 6 of 438
latest reply

angelsmile8888
Enthusiast
Yes, I think so, I highly agree with you.Now I have paid large amount of money to ebay.Too.....Expensive!!!:-(
Message 7 of 438
latest reply

kris*scloset619
Enthusiast

But this ISN'T your local auction shop.

It is 100% more than Craigslist charges.
It is 100% more than myGEAR charges.
It is 100% more than the bulletin board at Safeway or the Library charges.
It is 100% more than a Yard Sale would cost.
It is a lot more than the Ponderosa charges.

If only my buyers were in those places....
No Bad Days Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 8 of 438
latest reply

Anyone who doesn't have a problem with ebay's fees must have $$$ to burn. Do this little trick: add up the fees you have paid to ebay & paypal over the last 2 years. Then sit down, pour yourself a stiff one & vow to quit selling here. Luckily the weather is changing, start having yard sales & head for the local flea markets on week-ends. When winter comes find another online auction site to sell at or get a p\t job bagging groceries instead.
Message 9 of 438
latest reply

I've run a physical store. Compared to that, the fees here are really cheap.

I've done the flea markets. The swap meets and flea markets around here don't have many buyers.

I've done the bulletin boards, and yards sales. It's not worth my time, especially when someone tries to haggle down a $0.25 price. I mean come on.

eBay's fees are higher than other places. But they have the traffic for our items. We make money. I don't mind paying those fees.
Message 10 of 438
latest reply

How 'bout it? but you won't find ebay caring about it, and you won't find folks who actually make money here caring about it. I've been selling for over a decade and phew what a difference. You used to be able to sell anything for little, now you sell little for anything ebay wants. Unfortunately we have to love it or leave it until a better avenue comes along. Seems like no one is willing to publicize another the way it needs to be publicized to bring ebay walls tumbling down. I have tried to leave ebay and always come back. I have too much stuff to pass on. So I. like many others are kinda stuck here. For now. BTW, these boards a very instrumental in educating ebay to make the changes they make. Loose lips sink ships. (not directed toward you:0)
Message 11 of 438
latest reply

Hi gowld2000 and welcome to The Part Timers Forum!

BTW, these boards a very instrumental in educating ebay to make the changes they make. Loose lips sink ships. (not directed toward you:0)

Well then DARN! They're not listening to us! If OMA posted once he's posted a thousand times they need to straighten up & fly right!:^O

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 12 of 438
latest reply

gowld writes;
"these boards a very instrumental in educating ebay to make the changes they make"

You really think eBlech has staff reading these boards 24/7 .?
If they just listened to this one humble little board we'd be back to 1999 and we'd have a smile on our faces from ear to ear !!@!
DARK CANYON

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 13 of 438
latest reply

crazymancreations
Enthusiast
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total

Hello 1273 . . . I just looked @ your completed listings and all of them were "auction style". The FVF's on those that sold should of been 9% not 12%. Were any of those the "just sold" items you were talking about?

As far as eBay's concerned, a 9% FVF is the best you can do unless you sell electronics (8% FVF) or quantities/higher priced items and qualify for their TRS discount as kris referred to.

I had an item listed here @ eBay for $189.99 . . . 30 days "buy it now" or "best offer". I had it listed for 3 months without any serious inquires. If it would of sold here for $189.99 my FVF would of been $14.40 + 1.50 listing fees + 5.81 PayPal fee (I didn't include shipping) . . . total $21.71

I listed it on another venue-ranch for $200.00 and it sold in less than 2 weeks. The listing fee was free and my final cost for selling on that site . . . $5.00 . . . you can also accept checks, MO's or Popsicle sticks if you desire.

There is 'life' outside of eBay.

Message 14 of 438
latest reply

jba-mechanical
Enthusiast
No wonder you don't have a problem with the seller fee's, you've never sold anything
Message 15 of 438
latest reply