cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Mail Free Insurance $50 - Questions

1. When I buy USPS Priority Mail (online via ebay/paypal) ... is the free $50 insurance automatically included?

2. If package is lost or damaged does USPS refund value of pkg + shipping cost?

3. Do I need a a printed receipt or copy of the label?

4. Or is all of the information I would need on line at Ebay or Paypal?

5. Does sending USPS Priority Mail (Insured) elimate any chance of buyer saying "item not received"?

Thanks, I've never had a claim but am curious about the procedure, I did read the USPS site about insured items that may be lost or damaged but would like your opinion.

Also, if item is received damaged and the buyer does not cooperate with the post office, then what?

I think my little small town post office/post master & mailman  could verify that I send an apropriate USPS priority mail package.

Sorry, lots of questions 🙂

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

@bowmancabin wrote:

Sorry, lots of questions 🙂

Yes there are......

USPS

GOOGLE

Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 2 of 58
latest reply

I will save you all the drama...eBay only provides the USPS Priority $50 insurance for free if you use eBay labels.
So if you don't...then you gotta pay for it through USPS.

Message 3 of 58
latest reply

whoodathunk2
Thrill-Seeker

Hope this helps.  It's a lot of information and I haven't finished reading through it yet, but it will likely answer some of your questions.

Image of Priority Mail Express™ and Priority Mail® shipping supplies, including text that reads: Improved Tracking, Free Insurance, Day Specific Delivery.
Making Priority Mail Better

With the goal of making shipping with the U.S. Postal Service® as easy as possible for our customers, we've updated our domestic Priority Mail® and Express Mail® services. As of July 28, 2013, the Postal Service™ now provides day-specific delivery information for domestic Priority Mail*. In addition, domestic Priority Mail now includes, without additional charge, either up to $50 or $100 of insurance** for loss, damage, and missing merchandise. Priority Mail International® features and benefits are unchanged and remain available for international shipments.

To simplify the product names, Express Mail is now renamed Priority Mail Express™. It remains our fastest^ domestic product available with a money-back guarantee, offering the same great service as Express Mail just with a new name***. Express Mail International® has been renamed Priority Mail Express International™.

Browse the FAQs below to learn more about how we’ve made Priority Mail better.

Priority Mail FAQs

1. Priority Mail is currently a 2-3 day service. What is different? 
How will I know if my package will be 1, 2, or 3-day delivery? 
Is the pricing different based on the scheduled delivery day? 
Can I choose if I want 1, 2, or 3-day delivery? 
Is the scheduled delivery day guaranteed? 
Is there any change in the packaging? And can I use packaging I currently have? 
Are there any changes to the new domestic Priority Mail online shipping label? 
What else has changed with Priority Mail? 
Has anything changed with Priority Mail International?

Priority Mail FAQs

1) Priority Mail is currently a 2-3 day service. What is different? 
With domestic Priority Mail, you get an estimated service of 1 day, 2 days, or 3 days based on from where you’re shipping your package and to where you're sending it (origin and destination).

Use our map to get day-specific Priority Mail Delivery information based on Zip Code™ ›

2) How will I know if my package will be 1, 2, or 3-day delivery? 
Delivery day for domestic Priority Mail is determined by from where you’re shipping your package and to where you’re sending it. The scheduled delivery day is reflected on your payment receipt and in your USPS Tracking™ information*. You can use the Priority Mail Delivery Map to see when you can expect a package. Please note, the map does not provide expected delivery days for APO, FPO, or DPO addresses.

3) Is the pricing different based on the scheduled delivery day? 
There is no price difference based on the scheduled delivery day for domestic Priority Mail. Current prices (January 27, 2013) remain in place. Prices for all Postal Service™ products, including Priority Mail, can be accessed through our Price List.

4) Can I choose if I want 1, 2, or 3-day delivery? 
You cannot choose 1, 2, or 3-day delivery. The scheduled delivery day is determined by from where you’re shipping your package and to where you’re sending it*. However, if you need overnight delivery to most US addresses, including PO Boxes™, you can use Priority Mail Express, which remains our fastest^ domestic service available to most locations***.

5) Is the scheduled delivery day guaranteed? 
Priority Mail remains a non-guaranteed service. The Postal Service does not provide a money-back guarantee if items sent via Priority Mail fail to arrive by the scheduled delivery date. However, Priority Mail Express continues to provide a money-back guarantee* service for most domestic destinations***.

6) Is there any change in the packaging? And can I use packaging I currently have? 
Yes, there is new packaging. On or before July 28th, packaging supplies were updated with the new design and made available in all Post Offices™ and online. You can be use old packaging until your current stock runs out. Domestic Priority Mail and Priority Mail International use the same packaging.

7) Are there any changes to the new domestic Priority Mail online shipping label? 
Yes, the label notes if your package is expected to arrive in 1, 2, or 3 days*.

😎 What else has changed with Priority Mail? 
Most domestic Priority Mail products** now include up to $50 or $100 of insurance based on the payment method used. If you’re using a stamp or meter to add postage to your package, and a package barcode is not applied, bring your package to the retail counter at the Post Office to receive the automatic insurance.

Subject to the exclusions described below, the Postal Service provides up to $50 of insurance for Priority Mail shipments sent at the Post Office (retail) and for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Base™ Pricing. The Postal Service provides up to $100 of insurance for Priority Mail sent using Commercial Plus™ Pricing.

Insurance will not be included with the following: Merchandise Return Service (MRS), Priority Mail Open and Distribute®, Premium Forwarding Service®, Priority Mail Reship, and Priority Mail packages paid for using meters and stamps (when an Intelligent Mail® package barcode (IMpb) or Retail Tracking Barcode is not applied).

9) Has anything changed with Priority Mail International? 
Priority Mail International service has not changed.

Priority Mail Express FAQs

1) What is different with Express Mail? 
Domestic Express Mail is now renamed Priority Mail Express. It remains our fastest^ domestic product available, offering the same great service as Express Mail just with a new name***.

2) Why did USPS® make this change? 
Research has shown that our service names are confusing for customers, so in an effort to make shipping with USPS as easy as possible, we’re simplifying the names of our services.

3) Are the labels for domestic Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail Express International different? 
Yes, the current Express Mail shipping label (Label 11B) that customers use at the Post Office for domestic shipping has been updated to reflect the name change from Express Mail to Priority Mail Express. For international shipping, customers can now use the new Priority Mail Express International Shipping Label and Customs Form (PS Form 2976-B).

4) Is there any change in the packaging? And can I use packaging I currently have? 
Yes, there is new packaging. On or before July 28th, packaging supplies were updated with the new design and made available in all Post Offices and online. You can use old packaging until your current stock runs out. Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail Express International use the same packaging.

5) Can I use Priority Mail packaging to send Priority Mail Express shipments? 
No, the packaging and label indicates the service. So, if you use a Priority Mail box, you will receive Priority Mail Service, and if you use a Priority Mail Express box, you will receive Priority Mail Express Service.

6) What changed with Express Mail Corporate Account (EMCA)? 
Express Mail Corporate Account (EMCA) was renamed USPS Corporate Account™ (USPSCA). Features have not changed.

7) Has anything changed with Insurance or other Extra Services for domestic Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail Express International? 
Nothing has changed with any of our Extra Services offerings for domestic or international Priority Mail Express shipments. Up to $100 of insurance for most items is still included at no extra charge with domestic Priority Mail Express shipments. For international shipments, document reconstruction insurance up to $100 and merchandise insurance up to $200 is included, at no extra charge, against loss, damage, or missing contents. Additional coverage may be available for an additional fee.

😎 Can I still use Express Mail Hold For Pickup and Express Mail Open & Distribute™? 
These services still exist but under the new name. “Express Mail Hold For Pickup” will be “Priority Mail Express Hold For Pickup” and “Express Mail Open and Distribute” will be “Priority Mail Express Open and Distribute.” The new packaging and labels for these services are available online at The Postal Store®.

9) What changed with Express Mail International? 
The Express Mail International service name has been renamed to Priority Mail Express International service. In addition, a new Priority Mail Express International combined Shipping Label and Customs Form is now available at retail to improve customer ease of use (PS Form 2976-B).

10) Why was the Priority Mail Express International™ Shipping Label and Customs Form created?
The Priority Mail Express International Shipping Label and Customs Form (PS Form 2976-B) simplifies retail Priority Mail Express International transactions by eliminating redundant data entry handwritten by customers on 2 forms. No additional customs form is needed when this label is used.

11) Can the Priority Mail Express International Shipping Label and Customs Form be used on Priority Mail Express shipments destined for APO, FPO, or DPO locations? 
The new form (PS Form 2976-B) may only be used for Priority Mail Express International. It cannot be used for Priority Mail Express shipments destined for APO, FPO, or DPO locations.

Order free supplies now ›
Start shipping now ›

* Based on origin and destination. Expected delivery day printed on receipt or provided at checkout, and in USPS Tracking information.

** Certain exclusions apply. See Priority Mail FAQ No. 8 for more information.

*** To most destinations. Service commitment based on drop-off time.

^ Limited exceptions apply.

If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing it's stupid.
Message 4 of 58
latest reply

Oh my....thats alot to read. So....USPS Priority provides $50 ins...regardless of eBay labels..? I thought it was just a new perk.

Geez....I gotta freshen up on my policys & changes...im 0/2

Message 5 of 58
latest reply

The short version:

1.  $50 Insurance is included

2.  Yes, shipping cost will be included if you add it to the claim

3.  If you print your labels through eBay, that is all you need

4.  Yes, all of the information you need is in you "details"

5.  Never say never, but it has been my experience that if you have online proof of delivery, you should be fine.

5 1/2.  You may be SOL - never had it happen - I have heard that Shipsurance, offered through eBay is much easier to deal with than USPS when filing a claim.  If I am insuring a widget I include a statement in my TOS asking the buyer to keep all packing material in the rare event of damage during shipment.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 6 of 58
latest reply

@bowmancabin wrote:

Thanks, I've never had a claim but am curious about the procedure, I did read the USPS site about insured items that may be lost or damaged but would like your opinion.

Also, if item is received damaged and the buyer does not cooperate with the post office, then what?

My opinion:  For small-dollar items, it's not worth the hassle of insurance, even though it's free.  It's easier and more profitable to simply set aside a small amount from each sale to cover the occasional loss.  There are no claims or inspections.  No extra paperwork.  No appealing the claim if it's denied for insufficient packing.  No waiting for the check to arrive.  No extra steps or instructions that the buyer has to deal with.

The buyer provides proof of damage, or returns the item.  You refund.  Done.

Ideally at the end of the year, you can take the extra money left in your fund and go out to dinner or something.

If the buyer chooses not to cooperate with the insurance claim, you will still be refunding, if they file a Buyer Protection claim through eBay.

Message 7 of 58
latest reply

my items i wouldn't do extra to get free insurance.i go to the post office anyway,so if it's free...

i doubt i will ever claim,but if i did i would make out.

costs me $4 to ship a padded envelope and maybe have $4-10 of product.

if one got ran over by the USPS truck,i wouldn't ask the buyer to help with a claim.

Message 8 of 58
latest reply

hidy-hoo

thank you ...

really liked the suggestion ..to include a note in the pkg (for a fragile item) to ask the the buyer to keep the pkg/packing in event of damage & please take a photo ...(for insured items).

Message 9 of 58
latest reply

Thank you to all of you for your posts.

Message 10 of 58
latest reply

You are very welcome bowmancabin - glad we could all be of help - come back any time if you have questions or need advice.

And, FYI, I include the blurb about keeping the packaging even if the widget isn't glass or china, etc. - I use it for any item that I insure as USPS can be less than gentle and a widget that you think will be safe may not be as evidenced by a package that I received last year:

IMG_0242.JPG

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 11 of 58
latest reply

I have a question.   How come on the eBay shipping label page it says this:

Additional Options
Add Signature Confirmation™ (US $2.20) 

Add insurance (Cost varies based on package value) 

With Priority Mail® you get USPS Insurance up to $100 free.
Print SKU/order number on label

See the part where it says you get USPS INSURANCE UP TO $100 free????    Yet USPS says up to $50.   That's a big difference, so which is it?  If I ship out a $99 item, do I pay the extra and insure for $99 or is it included...or what?    

Message 12 of 58
latest reply

Hi ModFreak and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

There is a "qualification" level (Commercial Plus or Retail.) for 50 or 100 dollar free insurance.> http://pe.usps.gov/DMMAdvisory.asp?Dest=DMMAdvisory072513.htm

Additionally, insurance coverage is included at no additional charge for barcoded domestic Priority Mail (PM) pieces (except for Merchandise Return Service, Priority Mail Open and Distribute or Premium Forwarding Service pieces) as follows:

$100.00 for PM pieces bearing an Intelligent Mail™ package barcode (IMpb) and for which the mailer pays                Commercial Plus® prices.

$50.00 for PM pieces bearing an IMpb or USPS retail tracking barcode.

Hope this helps!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 13 of 58
latest reply

USPS told me that eBay had nothing to do with it.  YOU GET $50 of insurance on all PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES no matter where you buy postage from eBay or at the Post Office.  That is what I was told by USPS.  Just Saying

Message 14 of 58
latest reply

@tdebuys wrote:

USPS told me that eBay had nothing to do with it.  YOU GET $50 of insurance on all PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES no matter where you buy postage from eBay or at the Post Office.  That is what I was told by USPS.  Just Saying

That is correct!...

Message 15 of 58
latest reply