cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent buyer a replacement for part that USPS broke, eBay not recognizing new tracking number

So, I had 3 return requests in one day last week, two of which were for items that USPS broke in shipment.  I sent replacements out for them, but one of them actually had opened a return request before contacting me first.  I sent them a message and they replied that a replacement for the broken one would be fine (they included pictures with the return request to show they were being truthful about it).  So I sent out a replacement the next morning.  Ebay added the new tracking number to the item.  I thought this was done now other than them receiving the replacement item.  I get an email this morning stating that I am past due on responding to the return request even though I sent a replacement.  THERE IS NO BOX to check in the return details for me having sent out a replacement.  The new tracking number is on the item details, and tracking shows it arrived at their post office this morning.  Is there any way I can resolve this, or does the other person have to close the request, or what?  This is ridiculous, that eBay does not allow you to post a new tracking number directly to the return request. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sent buyer a replacement for part that USPS broke, eBay not recognizing new tracking number

I don't want to click the "ask ebay to step in" box, because if I do, I'm POSITIVE they will just take a refund out of my account so the buyer will have gotten the part AND my money, and I'm already out twice on the shipping cost for the item.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Good Morning gpg.
I’m not to familiar with returns. Never had one. I can only suggest you contact the buyer, make sure they are happy and see if they will close the case.
I would think it would auto close in 30 days.
If you call eBay they will most likely screw something up as calling would indicate you wanted eBay to step in.
Sorry that’s all I can think of. Hopefully someone has more to add. Hidy is off this week. 😔

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

So, I sent the buyer a message, letting them know that it showed up at their post office this morning according to the tracking number, and asked him if he would just close the request once he gets the item and checks it over, and to let me know it got there OK, too. I'm a little nervous since USPS has broken two of these now in the last couple weeks after 10 years of never having one get broken. He just responded and said he would check it over and just close the request after he gets the part.

Why does eBay allow you to offer a replacement item in the request details, but doesn't have a place in those request details to put the tracking number for the replacement? It does show up in the item details that you have sent a second item in the form of it putting the new tracking number on the item, but it doesn't get attached to the return request for some reason, apparently, which is stupid.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Well just be glad you have a nice buyer. That makes things easier.
There should be a place to enter it, but they like to complicate things.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Well, I called eBay aabout a week ago and ask them to close it in my favor, since they could see from my messages with the buyer that they were happy with the item.  Ebay rep tells me she has to send the buyer a message and ask them to close it first.  I inform her that I've done as much and got no response... I spent 30 minutes on the phone with her and she assured me she would get me an answer... well, it's been a week and no contact from the buyer, no closure of the return, and no more contact from eBay customer service following up, either.  I'm at a loss.  She SHOULD have closed the return in my favor, but she said she could not do that, which I do not think is true.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Was it a US rep?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes, it was.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Well, I called and got a different person this morning, asked again to close the case in my favor, and finally got it done. Sheesh.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Glad that’s over for ya, sometimes you just need to keep calling unfortunately.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply