cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling items under $5-10 - how can you really make money on eBay?

When I calculated it, it seems like selling items that are worth less than $5-10 price range is pretty much about breaking even with the fees. Unless I end up subscribing to the store, which I don't have that volume to move... So how do individual (non-high volume sellers) really make money other than raising the price and unable to compete with the other people?

One example, i just sold 3 generic older phone cases for $3.99 with free shipping. Most run around $1-2 new (with shipping from china or whatever)

Total breakdown:

+ $3.99 - payment

- $0.42 - Paypal fee (2.9% + $0.30)

- $0.40 - FVF

- $1.69 - shipping

= $1.48 net profit?

20.5% of the cost of auction went to ebay/Paypal for their services.

Even if I was selling a single unit for $2 with free shipping, I'd only make less than a buck after all fees... 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Your $1.48 net profit didn't include your cost of the merchandise.  $5.99 is usually my minimum and only if it's a 3 oz First class shipping, and something I can just throw in a bubble mailer.  I hope that I get someone to buy multiple items from me with the lower priced stuff.  That doesn't always happen, so I am starting to group the items myself more.

Message 2 of 69
latest reply

I depends on your goals - I sell used DVDs (among other things) for $4.99 with free shipping.  I buy my DVDs bulk with local pickup and have an average cost of $.45 each.

I make about $1.25 on each sale (accounting for all costs except my time) - it's not a lot, but it is money, and more importantly, it helps keep my feedback, transactions, and DSRs high, which helps a lot with my larger sales . . .

I would make enough to make it worthwhile if it was all I sold, but it's certianly a nice sideline.

"Don't close your eyes! They can still hit you with your eyes closed!" - my son's Karate Sensei 😄
Message 3 of 69
latest reply

photo fd19279d-37da-4ac8-bb41-8fb5a286253d.jpg

Message 4 of 69
latest reply

Are you hit? I think so. I just telling them the truth and the reality.

Message 5 of 69
latest reply

Just because you are unable, for whatever reason, to make eBay work for you,

does not mean you have to repetitively trash and insult those who are trying to,

or have found a way.

You contribute nothing, but your constant insults, snivelling and whining.

ohipcon, stop your constant crying and join us in the enchanted eBay forest...

photo cryingbaby.gif

We will teach you the Puppet Dance... We will make you a believer...

Maybe, even teach you how to make a profit.

Have a nice day.  photo nosmile.gif 

Message 6 of 69
latest reply

@x.four wrote:

When I calculated it, it seems like selling items that are worth less than $5-10 price range is pretty much about breaking even with the fees. Unless I end up subscribing to the store, which I don't have that volume to move... So how do individual (non-high volume sellers) really make money other than raising the price and unable to compete with the other people?

One example, i just sold 3 generic older phone cases for $3.99 with free shipping. Most run around $1-2 new (with shipping from china or whatever)

Total breakdown:

+ $3.99 - payment

- $0.42 - Paypal fee (2.9% + $0.30)

- $0.40 - FVF

- $1.69 - shipping

= $1.48 net profit?

20.5% of the cost of auction went to ebay/Paypal for their services.

Even if I was selling a single unit for $2 with free shipping, I'd only make less than a buck after all fees... 

I could easily make money selling things for $10 on eBay, if (and only if):

1) I got the items dirt-cheap

2) I charged for shipping.

You've done neither, and you're only getting 4 bucks. You can make more working a minimum-wage job.

I won an auction lot a few months ago that included about a dozen identical pieces that I didn't need; basically they were free, since the items I kept were already worth more than I paid for them. I took photos of one of the items (they're identical), listed them one at a time for a fixed price of $9.99 with $1.69 shipping. I get a sale every week or two, and it takes about five minutes to print a label and mail the item. My net profit will be around $100 for a little over an hour's work.

That's an extreme case, but you can make good money even if you have to shell out a couple of bucks per unit.

Message 7 of 69
latest reply

I've posted many times I often learn something new here, today, not so much.

@ohlipcon wrote:

Are you hit?    I think so. I just telling them the truth and the reality.

But I was able to work on my spelling, grammar and punctuation:

@ohlipcon wrote:

Some old timer here said  they are making money, a lot, that's what they said. I don't know how but I guess it's a lie coz they don't wanna admit they are losing money. They think that members reading their post are stupid to believe in them.

That's the best I can do with it and still keep the gist of the thought process.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 8 of 69
latest reply

It is not important to me if your grammar is correct or not or maybe the spelling. The important is, I live in reality.
Message 9 of 69
latest reply

@ohlipcon wrote:
It is not important to me if my grammar is correct or not, even the spelling. The important thing is I live in reality.

There, all fixed. Glad I could help!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 10 of 69
latest reply

Most of the time, as I have seen here specially those newbie here on the forum that need guideance. Not every newbies are expert right away! They sometime don't know where the right discussion board to  be post or whatever. Old timer, slam them for what they are posted and the location. Is that the right attitude toward the first timer here? 

No need to teach me how to make a profit. I already have. I sell an item which is unique and its bigtime. I am selling item not only here. Amazon, CL and also on flea market on the weekend.

Message 11 of 69
latest reply

In addition, I use my orinal ID here. There no need to hide, why some of u are using diferent id? Are u hiding something?

Message 12 of 69
latest reply

@ohlipcon wrote:

Most of the time, as I have seen here specially those newbie here on the forum that need guideance.

No need to teach me how to make a profit. I already have. I sell an item which is unique and its bigtime. 

So, Oh Mighty Master of eBay and all Global Selling Sites,

if people come here seeking guidance, show me one post

where you have offered anything other than redicule and 

insults to those who actually do try to help...       Just one.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/message/user-id/162127

Message 13 of 69
latest reply

@ohlipcon wrote:

In addition, I use my orinal ID here. There no need to hide, why some of u are using diferent id? Are u hiding something?

Yes ... I'm Batman.

Message 14 of 69
latest reply

And I am Robin.., Lol..

Message 15 of 69
latest reply