cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item location "United States"?

The question is How is is that some sellers are able to list the location of the item they are selling as "United States" while for most sellers ebay shows a specific city? Is the option of showing the location as "United States" available to all sellers?

(I apologize if this has been answered before.)

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

oops: How is it ...

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

If you use the shipping calculator in your listings, then you must have a ZIP Code in the Location space and eBay will display the city and state associated with that ZIP Code. If you are using flat-rate shipping you can change the text in the City/State box.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

I'm betting that the seller of the item simply skirted the issue, intentionally or unintentionally, by providing insufficient information somewhere along the line.

That said, maybe an edit in your settings would allow for that. Under the ACCOUNTS tab click ADDRESSES. You can edit the item location. You might be able to remove the city.

In my opinion though it would surprise me that one would want to. Knowing exactly where a product is would increase the level of trust for me as a buyer. The more a seller is willing to share the more I would naturally trust buying from them.

Dave - Custom Vinyl Sign and Decal
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

I typically don't purchase from someone that says United States as the location.  Especially if it is an item I am wanting quickly.  I know that if I purchase it from CA, I will not receive it very fast being in FL.  I will look for the item in a closer State.  I believe this is why some do this actually...of course I may be wrong though...it wouldn't be the first time hehe ^.^

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

I typically don't purchase from someone that says United States as the location.  Especially if it is an item I am wanting quickly.  I know that if I purchase it from CA, I will not receive it very fast being in FL.  I will look for the item in a closer State.  I believe this is why some do this actually...of course I may be wrong though...it wouldn't be the first time hehe ^.^

Why should that matter? USPS first class & Priority is the same timeline across the U.S. whether its from Florida to CA...or AZ to CA. If you subject yourself to shopping by state you are probably not getting the best deal. My average timeline from AZ to FL is 3 days. My average timeline to anywhere in the U.S. is still......3 days...even my own city.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

I do buy some crap from "United States" sellers, and hope to get my items promptly...

I just bought some batteries from one and I am waiting for delivery.

This seller has a BUNCH of rechargeable batteries at a good price.

(they probably "fell off of a truck" somewhere)

They usually are not your friendly Mom & Pop sellers.

M&P Sellers use their correct city and take some time to create a Seller Profile.

So long as they deliver promptly, I don't care...

But if I am given the choice I always try to support the Small Seller

(as opposed to the small business)

That is the "Small Seller" with the nice Avatar:-x and a me page.

If I want an impersonal Seller, I will shop Google or Amazon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Why should that matter? USPS first class & Priority is the same timeline across the U.S. whether its from Florida to CA...or AZ to CA. If you subject yourself to shopping by state you are probably not getting the best deal. My average timeline from AZ to FL is 3 days. My average timeline to anywhere in the U.S. is still......3 days...even my own city.

Items mailed from my local area (within a 90-minute drive) 1st class or Priority Mail usually arrive the next day, not 3 days later.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

If you use the shipping calculator in your listings, then you must have a ZIP Code in the Location space and eBay will display the city and state associated with that ZIP Code. If you are using flat-rate shipping you can change the text in the City/State box.

I couldn't see that as an option. I could bring up the pop-up window that allows you to change the City & State, but the window wouldn't display correctly, so there was no way to save any changes.

I've since figured out what the problem was. There is some kind of glitch with my browser, such that it doesn't properly display ebay pages correctly, including for when you are starting a listing.

I switched to a different browser and the problem disappeared.

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

I am an occasional seller who chooses the generic location United States because I live in Texas and a lot of people discriminate against Texans. They think we're dumb and stupid for various reasons, most of them political. By them not knowing I'm in Texas, I know they are buying my item based on it and my merits as a seller, not my geographical location. 

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

You are correct but some of the items I have purchased from California end up going through this crap shipping service that uses UPS and USPS or FedEx and USPS and have taken FOREVER to get here.  One item took a month....Some items were big and needed to be sent via UPS and that took a while as well...

So, it makes a difference in certain circumstances.  If I get it a bit quicker if I need the item than I don't mind paying a bit more if need be.

Sometimes it's not worth saving a buck or two when you need something quick!!!

😃

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

"United States" screams drop shipper to me.  Or from China.

I've clicked on the Feedback number, and found it saying,

"Member since 20XX, Shanghai, China"

I just don't get how they get away with just saying "United States?"

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I would love to be able to change my item location so that it at least omits my city.  I often get requests from buyers who want to save postage costs and personally pick up the item instead.  Since I don't want them coming to my home, they then offer to meet in a public place.  I don't have time to make a special trip to God knows where, just to deliver one item.  I've even had customers claim they live in my city, but their profile says otherwise.  It's just safer for me to use the post office or FedEx.  Not to mention, I'm burning additional fuel and losing a lot of time better spent on my listings.  For the special attention that one sale costs me, it's just not worth it.

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

That was the OP's question. And it is my question which brought me here, as well. Unfortunately, I do not see an effective answer. I want to list only my State, USA. Not my zip code. I see some are doing it. I've been on eBay since 1998. Still can't figure out how to get this accomplished. oh wellssss..

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

Since 2013?

Chinese 😔

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 15 of 33
latest reply