cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EBay worth it for sellers anymore?

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Message 1 of 356
latest reply
355 REPLIES 355

hatter-2
Enthusiast
If your making $800 selling lipstick,..

Let's see if I got this right...in another post you had a problem with buyers being able to return items (per the rules, in English, I might add), now you have a problem with fees, with 'cheerleaders', with invoices you can't undertand even though you claim to be educated (they're in English, too)...and now you have problems with what someone does or doesn't decide to sell. You gotta lot of other problems, too, pal!

I have problems, too...with the buzz-cut and the funny beard in your picture. And I'll bet your momma dresses you funny! But do I hold that against you? No...just your lousy attitude...which reminds me of a line from an old rock n roll song: "Cut out all that macho sh*t and learn how to play guitar!"

And I'm sorry if I offended any guitar players by suggesting you join their lot.
Photobucket
Message 31 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
LOL!!!!!
Message 32 of 356
latest reply

That must be the Royal "WE" unless you've got a mouse in your pocket.

It's "we" as in my partner and I at friendlyplush. We're not a one-man show here.

Aww. I was really hoping there was a cute, little, round-eyed mouse in your pocket!

Photobucket

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 33 of 356
latest reply

"Cut out all that macho sh*t and learn how to play guitar!"
So Hatter, you're going incognito too? I like the new avatar.

I started to type this yesterday, but I lost it somehow...

I figger 33% of my money goes to Overhead.
That is Listing Fees, Final Value Fees, PayPal Fees, and Shipping.
That is for Guitars and Amplifiers. Not small things.

If I sell a guitar for (let's say) $350... That is $50 or $60 for shipping. evilBay and PayPal will get $35 or $40 between them.
So if I bought this guitar for $250 plus shipping and sell it for $350 total, I actually Lose Money!

As to small things... I sold a bunch of little 'neck knives' that evilBay/PayPuke made more money than I did.
(But that's alright, I bought 12 knives and sold 7 or 8, and the rest were mine for Free)
But even if I sold all the knives, I would have only made about $12 profit. Which sux for hours of work spread over two weeks.
So, once again I cannot figure-out how people make a living on evilBay.
Unless you get the items for Free, I don't see how you can make a profit.
Unless you are selling hundreds of items a week.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 34 of 356
latest reply

jjpricesux
Enthusiast
umm they are the only game in town, other sites out there suck.
Message 35 of 356
latest reply

I just noticed that EBay fees since January 1st have been 21%, I use the most basic listings. They are hostile towards sellers...always on the side of the buyer, and really don't give a *&% as they think they are the only game in town. It isn't worth it; besides the crazy buyers, a bunch of theives at EBay and the headaches...for what, 79% of my goods and I get the hassle. And if that guy comes on that always tells you to take a deep breath, hold yours for as long as you can.
Look at any news article:

"What Changes Will Impact eBay Sellers in 2010?"

Feedback Change a Forgone Conclusion;
Stores in Core (possible elimination of Store Inventory Format);
Changes to Fees;
Policy Changes;
and Other Changes.

4 days ago...

"Closing eBay Store, Search Outage Credit Last Straw"

1 week ago...

How about sticking together?
Message 36 of 356
latest reply

hatter-2
Enthusiast
"Cut out all that macho sh*t and learn how to play guitar!"
So Hatter, you're going incognito too? I like the new avatar.

Thanks. Yeah, I figured I need a posting ID for when someone really ticks me off and I write something acerbic...people like you know it's me, but by chance, if one of those nice folks who buy my vintage junk happens to the Board, I don't want to scare them off. B-)
Photobucket
Message 37 of 356
latest reply

clayjo2009
Enthusiast
That is why i got a posting ID. even though i started posting with my selling ID at first.
Message 38 of 356
latest reply

Look at any news article:

"What Changes Will Impact eBay Sellers in 2010?"

Feedback Change a Forgone Conclusion;
Stores in Core (possible elimination of Store Inventory Format);
Changes to Fees;
Policy Changes;
and Other Changes.

4 days ago...

"Closing eBay Store, Search Outage Credit Last Straw"

1 week ago...

Now you're being more reasonable in your approach. Look, I even posted links to those articles a few days ago, so I think understand where you're coming from. Bitching and moaning ain't going to solve anything.

This Board is for part-timers...some have stores, some don't, but none have Core Stores, so whatever problems the Core Stores have are their problems...we try to help each other and anyone who wanders in deal with our problems. The most important thing I've learned here is finding out "How do I make ebay work for me?"

Is ebay going to change the FB policy? Sure! It can't get any worse. Is the fee structure going to change? You betcha! Each of us has to change and evolve our business models to adapt. Are there going to be other changes? Count on it! But again, it's changing and adapting to meet these kinds of challenges.

That's what we do here...toss around ideas, share experiences, pass on tips we've learned to make things easier and more profitable. We may vent every now and then, but one thing you won't find the regular members of this Board doing is being negative...that's like a virus...very contagious. You say, "How about sticking together?" That's up to you...If you see all these problems and are looking at the future (as you appear to be doing), why not join us and help all the little guys make ebay work for us? You'd be more than welcome.
Message 39 of 356
latest reply

I don't see how tossing around bogus numbers helps us "stick together".

Since you say you can't decipher the invoice, let's make it easier. Pick one of your listings that sold; look through your invoice for the listing fee and FVF for that item (you use the most basic listing, so you don't get charged for anything else, right?); add them together, divide by the selling price, and tell us what you get.
Message 40 of 356
latest reply

I have to agree with the check your fees group here. Pasting dollars & cents or percentage amounts on unknown auction sales or actual charges by eBay & PayPal is subject to intense scrutiny by those who understand all costs. This has been discussed many times & you can review earlier posts (# 5 & 6) about it here: http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Part-Time-Ebay/Monthly-Ebay-Seller/520141456&#

Hope this helps!

PS.... OMA..... See why I bump older but still current issue topics?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 41 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
If your making $800 selling lipstick,..

I don't always sell lipstick, but cosmetics is big business anywhere and marketing studies show that women tend to buy MORE lipstick the worse the economy does.
Message 42 of 356
latest reply

PS.... OMA..... See why I bump older but still current issue topics?

Naw, You bump them old threads cuz your bored!:^O
Like yer new Smiley Face.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Toy: 1996 Adamas 1881 ;  photo d3c27a4e-2de6-48e4-8a38-73242748826d_zpsbb3k8gvk.jpg
Message 43 of 356
latest reply

Morning OMA!

Remember the thread about PhotoBucket? http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Part-Time-Ebay/Photobucket-Terms-Of/520177722 When I was bored earlier this week I was looking there for something & I found your album quite by accident. While your pics are fantastic (Camera Please?) you might want to consider making your album private rather than public. In the off chance some slimeball recognizes you & finds your album (I know, extremely unlikely!) they may be tempted to reduce your inventory.

Hope this helps!B-)

Message 44 of 356
latest reply

keldasales
Enthusiast
*going searching for OMA's album*
Message 45 of 356
latest reply