cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard to start selling on eBay

Hello  everyone, 

I have started this new jewelry and art business on ebay. Just wanted to know how long do you guys think it takes to mold? Also do you have any tips for me as a new ebay seller? Thankyou.

-Sparklet  Jewelry

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Sparklet! I would love to help but I am confused by your question. Could you please clarify the how long does it take to "mold" question?

Diane

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

LOL, Diane ~ I wonder if they meant sold rather than mold ~ I will do a shout out @sparkletjewelry

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hidy. Smiley Very Happy That was my instinct too. Maybe she was posting from a smartphone that autofilled for her. Smiley Very Happy

I will wait to see if she comes back.Smiley Wink

Diane

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Hi Sparkle.

You must be patient - if somethng isn't selling mark it down. When you do get a sale - ship very quickly.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I mean mold this business in the sense to have regular base sale on the account? Is there any particular thing which I need to do to maintain my store? I try to post everyday 2-3 listing if possible. But rather than this anything which you guys think need to be improved on the store front or listing?

- SparkletJewelry

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hi

Hidy asked me to pop in to give a buyer POV. This will be long. 

First and foremost-know the rules really clearly. If you have questions, ask the boards before you get into trouble. Buyers expect you to know the system inside out even as they would expect a salesperson to know store rules in a brick and mortar. Read BOTH the stuff for sellers AND the stuff for buyers bc it is worded differently and you want to know what Ebay is teling buyers for rules and rights. It is the same rule but it can read differently. Ebay can be vague at times about rules.  You can take it in chunks because there is a lot of it. At the bottom of every page is the site map. This will access you to tons of info. 

Also be VERY CLEAR about how YOU get paid from ebay. Beginner sellers have certain restrictions last I heard for both how much you can list at a time as well as how fast you get paid. Keep enough in the bank account you link to ebay to cover returns b/c if ebay agrees, they just take it.  Pay attention to the fees and how they get billed. So many come here dumbstruck by the fees which are very clearly listed complaining now they have no profit. 

1) I want to see very clear pictures-on solida BGs. I dont want to be visually distracted by bedspread or dining table patterns. Use all the ones they give to show all angles, including the bottom even if it is in perfect condition. This actually helps protect you slightly if you get a SNAD because there is no saying they didnt see every inch.  Esp show blow ups of any chips. 

2) Be aware that b/c different computers show color differently plus it is going thru the Ebay system...people might say it isnt the color they expected. Dont get mad. 

3) Be careful about international shipping. I would not do it until you are very used to ebay selling in general. A lot of potential problems there plus a  lot of scammers bc it is hard to prove delivery. BLOCK it in your settings so you dont get caught out. 

4) Be careful about WHAT you sell, esp as a new person. Your low numbers will attract scammers. Until you get a couple dozen under the belt, I personally would not go over $50 and anything I would get very upset about losing. Definitely not jewlery or electronics-those depts are scammed like crazy.  Also know that different depts can have different selling rules so if you start with a different one-read up on it. 

5) Write a detail description. You might think it is obvious in a picture...assume NOTHING.  Write everything.  But DONT give me a whole backstory to how you got this purse. Just tell me the year of production if you know it, the name, the color, does it have pockets? A separate across the body strap? Etc. People can go look on other sites to check on your item. I do NOT suggest at all you use a mfg picture. Yours is NOT going to look like that and it is a fast track to getting a SNAD complaint.  Heck-half the time theirs dont look exactly like the picture!  Dont toss around the terms Vintage and Antique loosely. Annoys experienced buyers. 20 years old is not vintage...although in fashion that seems to be in flux. Better to use the years. "mid 80s dress". 

6) Be very clear about how you ship, what your payment terms are

7) Be very clear if you are willing to combine items for shipping....

a) how long you will wait for people to win more auctions -3 days, a week 2 weeks....look at people who are selling what you do. There may be some common kind of terms.  Be clear to tell people they have to wait for you to write a combined invoice-do NOT pay before they get it from you or you will not be able to combine. 

😎 Be ready for that and all shipping...have your scale in the house.  People really look at how much you charge to ship but also you need to do what you need to do to get there whole esp glass. But have shipping materials ready to do in the house and keep abreast of post office charges and increases or you can lose your profit margin. 

Pack nicely. It might be environmental, but I really dont want to get packages in food product boxes. IMHO that is a vermin attractant and I dont want it in my house.  Other boxes dont bother me as long as it has not been used 10 times so there is 15 lbs of old tape on it.  How people pack to me really matters because it says they respect what they are selling and me as a buyer.  If you treat it like junk I will see it that way.  One green savings...if you want to shred non personal paper instead of just tossing it to use as packing...that works. Get a cheap strip shredder instead of a security level x-cutter. 

9) Try not to get mad. SO easy here. People will do bad stuff...like bid on the same item from three different people and then tell two they want to cancel the order. Ebay specifically tells us NOT to do this.  This seems to happen most with Best Offers so be forewarned. BOs can be very fruitful though.  There will be great days and bad days. Same thing as in retail. Have a thick skin. 

10) Be patient. You have to build up a client base. Takes time. There is constant stream of discussion about who makes the home page ads, etc.  Do not expect to hit the floor running and making hundreds in your first month. Definitely do not see this as your only source of income  (pay the rent with if you can help it) till you are rolling along and have a feel for it. Even veteran sellers have slow months. It is what it is. 

Your best bet inho is to write excellent title lines because that is what the system searches on for buyers. It does NOT have to make grammatical sense at all. You want to get core info. 

ie XL Navy blue button down shirt, S/S. 100% cotton (if it has a number size say Size 10 or whatever) Get familiar with common abbreviations so you can save spaces. 

In the description of clothes, put in the measurment of sleeve, chest and length. 

"L" can be SO different between MFGs, plus if the thing has been cleaned-even the dry cleaner the size can change. 

11) Staging-

Whether or not you want to invest in dummies or display pieces is up to you. Some people will get a mannequin for clothes. Others will show on a hanger. or laid out flat What I DONT want to see is you or your cousin modeling it.  Rings or bracelets are different-I dont mind that on your hand but many buyers are horrible about that so I wouldnt.  Show both sides of the garment.  If you can show with a measure tape that would help protect you. Not as your main pic-as a support one.

Also, please make sure you dont get photobombed by random body parts.  Dont let me see your foot in a shot you are aiming down on. You in a mirror reflection. etc

You can buy display stuff pretty cheap here, at craft stores, discount stores etc. So if you are serious and really plan to make a run....I would get at least basic pieces. 

Know that people here can be.....not brilliant. Do not put anything else in the picture b/c they will claim it is part of the deal even though you have not said a single word about it.  

12) Protect yourself.

NEVER EVER talk to buyers outside the EBAY system. Fast track to all kinds of mess and you will have no protection. Ebay can see your PMs with people if they are told to look so they can see who said what.  This can protect you from buyer blackmail (do what I want or I will neg FB you) and stalker buyers. 

(to this end, many people use a different ID to post to boards than to sell. You dont need your opinion on the price of rice to haunt your selling)

Returns will happen. NEVER EVER send the money back before the item is in your hands. Seriously. NEVER. If you return money and it comes back broken, not the item you sent, etc. you are screwed.  If it is a 2 buck item, that's different. 

Dont be afraid to ask buyers to send you pics of the item to show damage or whatever. 

It is hard to touch on all things but that pretty much covers a lot of the basics: 

Know the rules and the user policy WELL. 

List well (title line)

Show well (pictures) /describe well

Have clear policies

Know your shipping

Pack well

Protect yourself-if you lose money or heart you wont be here long. 

Enjoy Life. It has an expiration date..
Two mysterious people live in my house. Somebody and Nobody. Somebody did it and Nobody knows who.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Thanks, Fire ~ excellent points for new sellers!

As for the OPs specific listings:

• New sellers are best served by starting out without a store until they establish a descent sell through rate to justify the cost of the store.
  • Most buyers don't use the word "lab" when searching for faux gemstones.  Use the word "CZ"
  • Your titles need work ~ the first three/four words are the most important:

This:  Ladies Sterling Silver White Gold Finish Round Pearl Lab Diamond Charm Pendant

Should be this:  Pearl Pendant CZ Diamond Charm Sterling Silver White Gold Coated. 

Check the titles of your most successfull competitor and follow suit.

• Always include measurements in your listings and describe the widget like their was no pictures.

@sparkletjewelry  Since you are a new seller and new to posting in the Community, you are probably not aware that advertising your store/listings is not allowed.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Positive-Thinking-Sellers-Group/Believe-you-can-and-you-re-halfway-ther...

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thankyou fire and hidy-hoo. Appreciate your time and i will soon improve my listings as per the details.

-SparkletJewelry

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Is that your hand in the photos or stock photos?
Either way, take the hand 🤚 out.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I agree with the last post. Don't include your hand or whoever it is in the photos. Looks unprofessional.Man Wink

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

IMO putting hands or feet can help improve sales numbers. Keep in mind that everyone has different tastes so mix it up ie different colors/sizes.
with hearts, Victoria Isla
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

If they are wanting to start a professional business. Hands and Feet are unprofessional. Use Mannequins or a jewelry holder.
If you are starting a fetish business, to each their own.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Smiley Very Happy Exactly!  The well worn shoes/socks crowd love to see feet, so in order to avoid the descent into that genre, use decent pictures without body parts ~just fixin' my mistake up there ^^^!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

Smiley Very Happy Exactly!  The well worn shoes/socks crowd love to see feet, so in order to avoid the descent into that genre, use decent pictures without body parts ~just fixin' my mistake up there ^^^!

Didn't even notice, you made me look.

😂😝

Message 15 of 17
latest reply