cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fees are too high!!

eddieg11
Pathfinder
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?
Message 1 of 110
latest reply
109 REPLIES 109

"When I first started selling back in 2007... FVF's were 3% for auctions, 10% for Fixed Price."

Really... well all i care about is BIN anyways... so apparently my Fee's have not gone up since 2007... yay ebay! 😛
Message 16 of 110
latest reply

10% Final Fee is very high. I'm OUT, will NOT sell any more....

Message 17 of 110
latest reply

photo montalban_fantasy_island.jpg

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 18 of 110
latest reply

@eddieg11 wrote:
I think 10% is too high for eBay to charge for a final fee for items purchased. The bigger the item the lower percentage the fee should be. Giving up 10% for an item that you sell for $500 should not cost you $50 to process. Especially sinc most things are sold under cost on eBay. Thoughts?

I suppose you could always put your stuff on a table in your front yard with a cardboard sign. That way, you won't have to pay any fees to anybody for their services.

Not sure how your neighbors will feel about millions of people coming down their block to look at your items, though...

Not sure how your neighbors will feel about millions of people coming down their block to look at your items, though...

Kwap! If I could get millions I'd do yard sales every weekend and invite the neighbors!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 20 of 110
latest reply

@eddieg11 wrote:

I'm sorry, but just no.  My brick and mortar store is the lowest consignment fee store within an hour's drive, and I charge 15%.  My competition all charge 25%.  The local auction houses charge 35%.  By comparison with most of the "real world" physical outlets, eBay is cheap.  And, it offers a much, much, much larger audience for your items, to boot.

Message 21 of 110
latest reply

This is just my opinion....you can not compare brick & mortar stores to online stores or selling.Their completely different selling venues.Online selling was started to avoid all the costs of brick & mortar and keep costs at a minimum. It's like comparing a car and a skateboard,,both have wheels,but little else is common. That's just how I look at it.

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 22 of 110
latest reply

ebay fees are high, but i pretty much came to terms with it.  what bugs me is the fees on shipping and the how much power the buyer has. On top of that buyers who expect things to ship immediately. i had to refund a few items lately just because the buyer didn't read the description or have buyer's remorse. i'm a private owner, not a store, so used item should be sold "as is". Buy items based on my feedback track record. The "no refund" option is useless also. Everytime i sell something now, i cringe just to wait for a positive feedback.

Message 23 of 110
latest reply

Some people are cut out for selling online...and some aren't.

Message 24 of 110
latest reply

@taadaa58 wrote:

This is just my opinion....you can not compare brick & mortar stores to online stores or selling.Their completely different selling venues.Online selling was started to avoid all the costs of brick & mortar and keep costs at a minimum. It's like comparing a car and a skateboard,,both have wheels,but little else is common. That's just how I look at it.

I disagree.  Ebay at it's most simple explanation is a consignment house.  Just because you ship something doesn't make the sale any different at the end of the day.   Some consignment shops let you set your own price, and then there are consignment auctions as well at many auction houses, where the buyers determine the final price.  It's actually very much the same.  It's different in that you have a way bigger audience for your product on eBay, but in it's most basic form, they are exactly the same.  I am required to pay the same income and sales taxes from sales here that I am if I sell something in my shop.  There literally is no difference in the method except that the venue is online. 

Of course, my expenses are higher in my brick and mortar store, because I am paying for electric, phone, property taxes, water, trash service, any employees (I don't currently have any, but I have in the past), etc, but I would have those expenses, selling on eBay or not, as long as I am paying for a building of some type.

Message 25 of 110
latest reply

@cowabungamusic wrote:

@taadaa58 wrote:

I disagree.  Ebay at it's most simple explanation is a consignment house.  Just because you ship something doesn't make the sale any different at the end of the day.   Some consignment shops let you set your own price, and then there are consignment auctions as well at many auction houses, where the buyers determine the final price.  It's actually very much the same.  It's different in that you have a way bigger audience for your product on eBay, but in it's most basic form, they are exactly the same.  I am required to pay the same income and sales taxes from sales here that I am if I sell something in my shop.  There literally is no difference in the method except that the venue is online. 

Of course, my expenses are higher in my brick and mortar store, because I am paying for electric, phone, property taxes, water, trash service, any employees (I don't currently have any, but I have in the past), etc, but I would have those expenses, selling on eBay or not, as long as I am paying for a building of some type.

I'm not sure that analogy is completely apt because, unlike a consignment, eBay isn't reponsible for selling your physical wares, you are. I see the site as more of a mall property. You are a store owner in that venue, but the mall owner is responsible for renting you a (virtual, server-driven) space (that they built) for that store; providing a clean, attractive, relatively safe location your customers will want to visit; providing the utilities that actually help maintain your business; hiring rent-a-cops, less-than-knowledgable Info Desk clerks, and maintenance people to keep the place running and safe; and even providing goo-gaws like food courts (read: community boards) for folks like us to sit around in and b%&$#h about how run-down the mall is getting. And yet, a distressing amount of members here feel they have something akin to 'squatter's rights' to the place, and no responsibilities toward paying for the sevices provided that lets them run a business here.

Then again, my analogy isn't completely equally, either. And as store owners/'property' renters we certainly have a right to negotiate better terms. But, if the place is truly as horrible/evil/greedy/whatever as some claim, the logical response to that is to move your business to a better venue/location.

I don't want to weigh in on eBay being "compared" to a B&M, consignment or any other classification other than what it is, an online venue that provides people looking to buy stuff with people selling stuff they may be looking for (Of course that's my opinion, yours may differ.)

What I would like to comment on is:

@lmang20 wrote:

Some people are cut out for selling online...and some aren't.

If I may expand a little? 

Some people have a business model for selling online...and some don't.

Message 27 of 110
latest reply

@multimedea_media wrote:

@taadaa58 wrote:

And yet, a distressing amount of members here feel they have something akin to 'squatter's rights' to the place, and no responsibilities toward paying for the sevices provided that lets them run a business here.

I've never been against paying fees or having no responibilities.They come hand in hand no matter how anyone sells a item even on Craigslist although that's why it is such a cesspool,because so many people feel they have no responsibilites. Now with ebay and how they run things that's a whole other story. lol

Glitch,Glitch,Glitch!!!
Message 28 of 110
latest reply

To compare online with online, look at nearly any other selling/auction site and compare it to eBay.  Those with low or no fees typically also have low to no traffic.  You can successfully sell there.  But it's more work.

Those sites with buyer traffic comparable to eBay's, also usually have fees comparable to eBay's.

Anywhere in retail, the more potential buyer traffic there is, the higher the rent/fees will be.

You can set up your own website with few 3rd-party fees if you want.  You'll be doing all of the coding (or paying to have it done), renting and maintaining the servers, paying for sufficient bandwidth, managing your domains and network addresses, marketing your site with the best SEO and adwords you can buy, settting up and maintaining the shopping cart, including paying for payment processing accounts, equipment and software (compare that to PayPal fees, BTW), and of course, selling your stuff.  Or, you can pay eBay 10% and they'll do all of the above work for you.

Yes, eBay fees are high.  But they are lower than many other selling options, and comparable with similar online selling sites.

Message 29 of 110
latest reply

I've just came across to read a few conversation here and into the other forum and what I have observe is, most member here who replied to those people(like eddieg11) who are some kind of asking or questioning the high fee of FVF, PF and etc. is that are all you guys were puppet of EBAY?
Message 30 of 110
latest reply