cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another seller is using my photos...HELP

zdollydee
Enthusiast

Another seller is using my photos for an item(s) I currently have listed. I asked the seller to remove and he said he would remove that day. When the pictures were not removed; I contacted Ebay nearly 2 weeks ago and provided proof of theft. I was told the listing would be removed within 48 hours. After 3, 30 minute phone calls and a broken promise that a supervisor would call me; the other seller's listing is still there. I do not want buyers to think that I am the one who is using someone else's images or think that I have 2 seller ID's. Not to mention that I am competing against my own pictures for sales....

...Does anyone have any ideal how I can resolve this problem.

:-x Thank you!

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Check your options - they may be set to allow others to use your photos.

Account > Site Preferences > Share Your Content

Message 2 of 65
latest reply

zdollydee
Enthusiast

My setting are set to not share my pictures. The first Ebay rep I spoke to told me you cannot copy pictures from another sellers listing and use them in your listing at any time. It is agains Ebay policy.

Message 3 of 65
latest reply

Hammer eBay until the photo's come down.

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 4 of 65
latest reply

I understand your frustration but I have one question.....?.....did you take all the photos of all your listings? Some of them look pretty stock to me..;-)

Hahaaaa....http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-RARE-Betsey-Johnson-POSY-SHEATH-Mixup-DRESS-w-6-WAY-TIE-Sz-SMALL-As-Seen...

My wife loves the show fashion police....:^O

Message 5 of 65
latest reply

I had a couple of sellers do this when I was selling the phones.  In both cases I contacted them and told them to remove the pics by the end of the day or I would report them.  Fortunetely both complied.

Since then, I've used watermarks.  You can watermark all you photos with your user ID.

You can do this on the SYI form.

In the section "Bring your listings to life with photos" click on add/remove options.

Check the box to add a watermark to your photo.

I only had to choose the option on one listing and it's been automatically added to every one since.

Haven't had one of my pics used since.

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:- Most issues can be resolved with patience, communication & understanding-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-
Message 6 of 65
latest reply

By the way, your photos look pretty stock to me too. 😮

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:- Most issues can be resolved with patience, communication & understanding-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-
Message 7 of 65
latest reply

Image & Text Policy<<br />

You're not allowed to use the following if you're not authorized to do so by the owner, its agent, or the law:

• Photos and text from other eBay users

Click on Reporting a listing near the bottom of the page for the info/link to report.

Didn't check for stock photos as others have noted.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 8 of 65
latest reply

As you pointed out, I used this exact method a couple of weeks ago because I noticed another seller was selling the same item as I was (the only 2 sellers selling it).  To my surprise when I openned their item, they had taken my description and copied and pasted it for their own.  And when I say taken it, they didn't even attempt to write it...exactly the same, same bolded words and even my comment that I got it during a recent Disney cruise....well it all bugged me, just a little.  I thought it was lazy.  I was going to send them an email, but just didn't want to open that can of worms.  Like the link you mentioned, I found this link and read it and it fit the "copyright" violation, so I filled out the form.  They needed my item number and the violators item number (this showed who had the first description).  To my surprise the next morning Ebay took the other person's item off!  I mean completely off.  You couldn't find it anywhere, even under completed listings.  Since I knew the other person's ID, I searched their account and it was gone.  But I never got any mention about it from Ebay.  They did their job and it was cut and dry and no doubt that it was copied.  I was impressed that Ebay moved very quickly.  As for the pictures, I use the watermark function on all of my pictures since I own all of my pictures and take them myself, which we know if very time consuming.  I have to say that I've gotten a ton of information here on the partime boards!  I had not even known about the "watermark" feature, but read it here.  Just wanted to mention that the other seller did finally sell their item and I checked it and they rewrote the description which was good and they learned from the copyright violation.  As for the "stocked" photos from the OP, I'm not sure how that qualifies since they really didn't own the photos to begin with, which is different than someone taking the pictures themselves.  I'll be curious to see how this turns out. 

Message 9 of 65
latest reply

here is a free photo program, use a watermark at 30% transparency across the entire photo, that will stop it in its tracks

I have used this program for years its simpler than Photoshop but better than paint B-)

http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/?ab=1

Message 10 of 65
latest reply

I use a watermark and still someone copied my picture. I used the report this item and ebay didn't remove the listing. I think it must be a low priority for them although it wasn't for me.

Message 11 of 65
latest reply

If reporting doesn't work:

First, rename your photos on whatever picture hosting service you use.  Example: photoname-2.jpg, or whatever.

Then, rename them in the listings so they show properly.

Then, replace your existing photos (that the other seller copied) with this one using the original filenames of the photos stolen (and yes, you have my permission to use it):

Photo:

Then, watch how fast the other seller changes their photos to their own, or starts getting complaints from buyers.

Message 12 of 65
latest reply

One of your finer posts BBF  ! 😄

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 13 of 65
latest reply

I just take crappy pictures no one would want to steal.  LOL

This made me laugh! hahhaB-)

Message 14 of 65
latest reply