cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A seller ripped me off can anyone help me?

Ok so on the 1st of the month I found a laptop for my daughters 10th birthday which I had been saving for for quite a while. The title of the item was mint condition, the item was listed as new and described as such. The postage was £16 which I thought was pretty heavy but didn't mind paying as I had emailed the private seller prior to buying, asking if they could post it the next day, so it would be there in time for my daughters birthday. They said they would post the next day which would ensure it would get here in time. I also asked if they would email me the tracking info too which they said they would.

The next day I didn't hear anything so I emailed around 7pm asking if it had been posted. The seller didn't reply until the next morning saying no it hadn't and that she would post it that day. She did but instead of paying for 24 hour which was cheaper than the 16 I had paid, she paid for the even cheaper 48 hour. She didn't add the Saturday delivery so it didn't get to me in time. I was upset about this but not as upset as I was when I opened the package. The laptop and charger had just been placed in an empty DVD player box with only two pieces of cardboard on either end of the laptop. There wasn't even a fragile sign of any kind wrote on the packaging. The top and bottom of the laptop had quite a few scratches which were either there when the laptop was packaged, or it happened in transit, probably from the loose charger and no packaging top or bottom.

Upon switching on the laptop I discovered all the sellers personal pictures, CV's and other data. I also discovered the webcam wouldn't work, which probably also happened in transit as the seller insists it worked when it was sent. Also the laptop was running really slow. I was really upset as this was my daughters birthday present and it wasn't even remotely as described. I also ran a virus scan to which it found 29 Trojan's and other virus'.

I emailed the seller to voice my concerns. All she told me was it had been used but not a lot and that it worked perfectly fine when she sent it and if I wanted to delete all her data, (which I didn't know how) to Google it. I asked for a partial refund of £40 to get a tech to remove the virus', repair the webcam and restore it back to original settings.

The seller refused to give me anything back and upon asking her how she felt about it not getting here in time she told me it was none of her responsibility. Even though she promised to post it the next day but didn't.

I contacted paypal and started a claim and the seller said she wouldn't be returning a penny so I escalated to paypal support.
After 5 days I'd still not heard anything other than the usual email stating I had opened a case and the seller had been asked for information and they would let me know if they needed any information from me. On the 6th day I received an email from paypal saying the exact same as before saying they had asked seller for more info etc.

I waited 2 more days and still heard nothing so I went ahead and got a tech to fix it which cost me £40. I couldn't make my daughter wait any longer as it was already a week after her birthday and I felt bad enough that she couldn't use it on her birthday as this was her only present from me.The laptop obviously still remains scratched as this was a costly repair that I couldn't afford after paying for the laptop and getting it fixed.

Another week later and I finally had a resolution on paypal but it wasn't what I had expected. They had asked me to return the item for a full refund so I decided to call them about the money it cost to fix. They told me as I'd already fixed it I couldn't return it nor could I have a partial refund for having to fix it. I asked if I could complain and was just passed to a supervisor who said I shouldn't have fixed it. He also said it was in the terms and conditions of paypal not to repair an item until you've heard from paypal support.I argued that when I opened the case I was not told not to repair the item as I would have to return it. I honestly thought as I had proof of IND that I would get partial refund to fix it as it was my daughters present and I couldn't just go get her a new one whilst waiting for the case to be decided a whole two weeks later.

I am furious about this as I am well out of pocket with a used laptop instead of a new one and a repair bill when the seller is happily laughing with my hard earned money that took what seemed like forever to save.

Surely there is something I can claim from the seller? What about the scratches that apparently happened in transit? I haven't fixed those!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sorry this happened to you. As this is a US sellers forum, buyers here use eBay Buyer Protection not PayPal for filing cases, I think you'd be better served at the UK buyer forum.> http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buyer-Central/bd-p/21900000767

Hope this helps.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I would have sent it back and fixed nothing recived a refund. you know laptops are cheap to buy know (average ones low end of the lines) about 300 bucks in the USA at best buy. don't know what they cost (average ones in the UK)

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buying used electronics on eBay is a **bleep**shoot at the best of times.

Buying birthday gifts at the last moment and expecting sellers to give a ratsass as to when they get delivered and how they are packaged is a route so filled with potholes and uneven steps that you're bound to trip up somewhere and land on your face in a shallow puddle of mud.

Once you tamper ( fix) with an item bought on eBay.......IT'S YOURS !

No , no one here can help you, & I hope in the end your kid liked her present.....

that's what you should focus on......

Actions speak louder than words........ just not here!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

theres no help ebay sucks because they make money off sellers pay pal sucks because they make money off ebay and the federal government sucks because makes money off all parties so the moral of the story is life sucks don't buy off ebay dump them dump paypal and stay low from the federal government

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

good ebay sellers are hard to find ebay is known for it's protection of thieving sellers but don't get me wrong not all sellers are thieves some are of the highest moral standards problem is finding them
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

at least it worked, I bought **bleep**, opened case, EBAY approved refund, when I inquired about refund Ebay said I inquired too late!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You’re a bit to late on this thread. It’s from 2013.

If you need any help with your problem, just start a new thread and we will try to help.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply