cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Change to Promoted Listings Standard ad fee calculation

We’ll be aligning the Promoted Listings Standard ad fee calculation more closely with how we calculate final value fees. You can learn more about that here, feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone! These threads are closed from further replies. If there are outstanding questions that we are waiting for additional information with, we will update the thread with the response we receive and tag you to make sure you get the notification.

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 49 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

So, this is another backdoor fee increase.  Promoted Listings Standard Ad Fee used to apply to the "final price of the item" only.

Now Taxes, Shipping and Other Fees will be added to the price of the item to increase eBay's fees collected.

Why continue promoting listings?  

Message 2 of 49
latest reply

Wow,  that's really going to hurt on heavier items..........I will certainly pull back on using PL standard. 

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

Guess I won’t be using promoted listings after they increase. Why the increase on this? Makes no sense. 

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

Will there be an option added to make PL exclusive to domestic sales? If not- can you make that an option effective soon- and by soon I mean build out that function by May 2022?

If the answer is no, then will there be any reprieve on the fee for international sales? If not- can you create one and code in that reprieve effective the same date the fee increase goes into effect?

With international shipping and VAT/GST- that will mean adding a higher handling fee specific to international sales because it's too cost-prohibitive to absorb a PL fee on the entire international payment. My international buyers pay more than double domestic buyers because of shipping costs.

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

It's called "Revenue Enhancement" in government speak.

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

I echo everyone else's sentiment on this topic.

This is a crazy needless increase that does nothing but hyper inflate the ad revenue for eBay at the expense of the seller and small businesses. Taxes/GST/VAT, shipping expenses, etc,  sellers have close to ZERO control over and are at the mercy of 3rd parties, but eBay is now going to leverage their ability to make additional income on those uncontrollable expenses. This will only cause one of two things. Prices will go up to the consumer or small businesses will stop using Promoted Listings.

Additionally, this policy is 100% hypocritical in supporting small businesses and "spits in the face" of everything eBay is attempting to do through eBay Government Relations and those of us sellers who have supported those efforts.

Would an eBay representative care to comment on the company's reversal in support of small businesses? 

Jon
eCommerce Sales Manager
RAK Distribution (on eBay)
Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Hello, eBay staff/experts.

-Thank you for opening up these question threads.

-Since I have a pretty busy day scheduled, I won't be able to fully explore the Winter update today (2/9/22).

I'm sure others find themselves in the same position. Plus I'm sure questions and suggestions will occur to some of us only after actually proceeding under the new changes for a bit.

-Would it be possible to reopen these question threads at some point down the line for a day? Say maybe in a couple of weeks? It would give time to see how things work in practice & perhaps avoid some of the the redundancy of seeing the same follow-up questions/suggestions  20 times in 20 different discussions (maybe it'll only be 15, ha-ha!). And I'll make my attempt to avoid redundancy buy just asking in this thread instead of all. 

-Thanks

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

For domestic sales- can eBay charge sellers the ad fee based on the least expensive available shipping method?

For international sales- can eBay charge sellers the ad fee based on the least expensive available domestic shipping method like they do for FVF?

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

Seems really shady and unethical that eBay would even consider charging an ad fee based on the total amount including sales tax. Just sayin'.

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

Why in the world would we continue to use promoted listings?  Seriously, what good does it do to promote if we lose our profit by doing so.   You charge final value fees on Taxes and Shipping now and I really don't understand that but promotions.....that's just wrong!  

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

Well I guess the only answer will have to be "no thanks, not doing any more promoted listings"
The shipping calculator is overcharging by at least 50% and now you're going to charge me more via PL for that along with the actual item?  Ain't happening! 

See ya, 

Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 12 of 49
latest reply

So what is the plus side for sellers?

For small items the shipping can be as much as the item cost causing ad cost to double.  I use eBay shipping so eBay can easily ensure that sellers using eBay shipping do not "cheat" on pricing.  With "One Fee", eBay is already collecting an undeserved COMMISSION on Shipping and Taxes.

I understand eBay gets more revenue by having sellers paying for advertising on taxes and shipping costs as well as our products. What is the added benefit for sellers? How does eBay believe this is a "Fair" change?

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

Putting a reminder on my calendar to end all of my promoted listings before this shameful money grab goes into effect.  I am willing to bet that this change will result in a net loss for ebay.  Who would sign up for this **bleep**?

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

Once again, eBay is penalizing those of us who ship large, bulky, heavy items.    I ship large, heavy china and glass.   On a $100 sale it may cost $65 or more to ship.  Compare that to someone selling a $100 used phone or stack of postcards and my fees are huge compared.  eBay says it protects its sellers - but with fees on shipping and free returns required as a top rated seller it is hard to make any money in my category any more. Are there any plans to help sellers who ship large boxes by getting the original parcel post back as a choice on the multiship feature like before?  Select parcel is sometimes higher than Priority (as a top rated seller)  and my buyers are continually complaining that Select Parcel is way too high.

Message 15 of 49
latest reply