cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping

eBay International Shipping is a new shipping service that removes many of the challenges and complexities associated with international shipping for US sellers. You’ll save on international shipping costs and selling fees. We’ll handle customs clearance, tracking, and post-transaction requests—at no extra cost to you. You can learn more about that here, feel free to review and post any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between today the 28th through Friday the 30th.

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: eBay International Shipping

Well, at least they're sort of answering the questions now, instead of copy-n-pasting the original announcement as if ADD or literacy were our problem.  : \

I'd like to add that the TOS uses the word "may" a lot, so we need to know what happens in both cases: when they "choose to may" and when they "choose to not may".

Finally, for anything to trump the TOS, we would need something signed by an eBay exec saying that there's a carve-out to the TOS, so that we can take the word of a forums moderator over the legally binding terms of the TOS. So, we must take any answer we get here (assuming we get one) with a grain of salt.

But I think I can sum up many of our questions like this: "if we ship the item advertised to the reshipping center and it gets there in good condition, under what circumstances (be thorough, please) would this not result in us getting paid in full for the sale?" The PR seems to indicate our job is done, and whether a return is initiated or not, we get paid. Basic business logic says that a company that worries about pennies a sale is not going to start offering a benefit that would cost them huge amounts of money: potentially international shipping charges outbound AND to the return center, the cost of the item (less their fees), the cost of the 3rd-party shipper running the program, and the manpower and footprint to run a returns center.

One way this all makes sense is if the cost of those returns is rolled into the program costs, and this ends up costing someone more than GSP did. Another explanation would be simple incompetence: eBay didn't think this through, and once they get enough sellers onboard, they'll change the rules/fees (or start choosing a different outcome in those "may" clauses). You could, I suppose, also replace incompetence with malice, and this will ultimately be a bait-n-switch. But something smells fishy here ... this is not what I expect from "seller updates" which usually come in the form of "you'll love our new benefits, um, I mean, fees".

Message 76 of 92
latest reply

There is one day left in September. I see these announcements:

"If you’re currently using the Global Shipping Program, you will be automatically enrolled and your listings will default to eBay International Shipping."

and, under rollout dates:

"September 2022

As of today, I'm still seeing this on my listings:

"You're sending to the US shipping center using the Global Shipping Program."

The sole interpretation that makes sense is that this will all change in the next 36 hours, less than 3 days after the Seller Update was sent out. I'm sure the sensible answer is the wrong one. Can we get some clarity? Protip: copy and pasting information from the announcement that we have already read will NOT help us better understand the shortcomings in the announcement.

Message 77 of 92
latest reply

I have been invited to enroll in this program, but in order to change my listings I have to be in the nasty, new listing tool as the option does not exist in the old one. Hmm.....

Message 78 of 92
latest reply

Do sellers have to wait for the item to arrive with the buyer before they get paid? I cannot find a definitive answer.

Message 79 of 92
latest reply

That is how the announcement is worded.

Message 80 of 92
latest reply

If all I have to do is get the package to the processing center and I'm protected against returns and such, then it might be a fair trade to wait for payment. I don't know what the justification is for delaying payment beyond the processing. I guess we shall find out.

Message 81 of 92
latest reply

Same here ... I turned off all international shipping options after receiving the seller update yesterday.   I have been selling on eBay for 15 years and NEVER, NOT ONCE EVER, have I had an unhappy international customer.   NO INAD's, NO INR's, NO RETURN REQUESTS ... NADA.  So why does eBay think it's OK to make me WAIT TO BE PAID FOR SEVERAL WEEKS OR LONGER after shipping an item, just because it's to an international location?  Ridiculous, just ridiculous ... IMO.  

Message 82 of 92
latest reply

bridgemillar-0, it's stated at the very beginning of the Seller Update Shipping section.

"How it works

3) Get paid

Once the buyer gets their order, you’ll get paid. If they’re not satisfied, we’ll handle return requests on your behalf."

eBay very carefully doesn't address that in the FAQ!

Message 83 of 92
latest reply

For items that have been delivered to the Buyer, we recognize that international returns can be a hassle, so we’ll handle them on your behalf. When a return is opened, we’ll provide the buyer with a return label to ship it back to a consolidation center. Upon receipt of the return, we’ll refund your buyer and you get to keep the sale. You're protected from neutral or negative feedback, and we will remove any related defects, including opened cases in service metrics. See eBay International Shipping terms and conditions for more information.

I am thinking this is an introductory offer to get people to use the option.  Once enough people have been using the new option and are use to it then getting to keep the sale for a return will go away.  If there is a huge amount of returns that eBay gets stuck with the keeping the sale will go away quicker.

Introductory offer like Managed Payments was offered at 12.35% to get people to sign up.  When enough people signed up it was raised to 12.55%.  When it became mandatory for everyone then it was raised to 12.9%

Introductory offer like how it was free to sell shoes over (I believe $100) and after enough people were selling shoes then fees were added.

Huge amount of returns something would have to change.  

Message 84 of 92
latest reply

To help address the question about payout timing,  we have confirmed that payouts will be handled the same as they are with GSP and current domestic orders. Following a transaction, it typically takes 1 day from confirming the buyer’s payment for the sales proceeds to appear as Available for payout, unless the transaction was placed on hold, in which case it may take longer. If your transaction was placed on hold the release time can vary depending on your selling history, performance or to address any open disputes. More information on holds can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/payouts-work-managed-payments-sellers/payments-hold?i...

Message 85 of 92
latest reply

Sooooo.... all the prior official reports about payouts being contingent upon receipt of item and buyer approval were wrong? You guys REALLY need to get your messaging straight. Not a good look from a multibillion dollar corporation. It makes it appear that EVERYTHING has been outsourced to overseas support, including corporate decisionmaking and marketing.

Good grief.

Message 86 of 92
latest reply

So is it compulsory that if you want to ship internationally it will have to be thru this program?  I have handled my own shipping internationally since 1977 (WELL before ebay was a twinkle in Pierre's eye) .    

If this is the defacto international shipping and I can't do it myself, it might be the brick that kills the mule.  I don't need your help.  I've had a problem with the only thing I sent using ebay shipping. It's the only international problem i've had in 45 years of mail order selling before ebay, on ebay or ever.    

Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 87 of 92
latest reply

@lightningmcqueen190 wrote:

So if the item is lost in international transit at what point do sellers get paid if that would normally happen when the buyer receives the item?

Hi @lightningmcqueen190Following a transaction, it typically takes 1 day from confirming the buyer’s payment for the sales proceeds to appear as Available for payout, unless the transaction was placed on hold, in which case it may take longer. If your transaction was placed on hold the release time can vary depending on your selling history, performance or to address any open disputes. More information on holds can be found hereWhen an Item Not Received claim is opened, we will automatically place a hold on the funds for applicable claim amount. However, most claims shipped with eBay International Shipping will be closed and release your funds within 1 business day.

Message 88 of 92
latest reply

seller_update@ebay So, I read the whole post on the new international shipping, and it doesn't address some of the most critical issues:

• How will delivery times compare to USPS priority? For example, I ship USPS priority to Japan all the time and packages are never more than 10 days in transit. EU is longer but how will thgis compare EISD has been notoriously slow.
  • Will the rates be competitive (from the buyer's perspective) with USPS priority?
  • who is the shipper out of the US? Are they to the last mile or is it handed off to country or delivery Post Office?
  • Who handles customer service? With current programs shippers have said eBay is the customer and must request help when there is an issue. I have had this problem with DHS on EISD where they say eBay is the customer not me.
  • Is eBay just tagging their name on a 3rd party service of is this a true eBay product run and managed by eBay?
  • Where will items ship to in US?  With such variable rates at USPS it can be expensive, if you sell heavier, larger items and not close to the shipping hub
Message 89 of 92
latest reply

"When an Item Not Received claim is opened, we will automatically place a hold on the funds for applicable claim amount. However, most claims shipped with eBay International Shipping will be closed"

This is only growing more opaque. Why would you place a hold if we aren't responsible for international INRs? Why is it "most" claims, when the announcement implies "all" claims will be eBay's responsibility?

I still think that if you could answer this question accurately and thoroughly, without simply quoting existing hazy announcements, it would help us all a LOT: "if we ship the item advertised to the reshipping center and it gets there in good condition, under what circumstances (be thorough, please) would this not result in us getting paid in full for the sale?"

Message 90 of 92
latest reply