cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return policy and new changes

Ebay is doing nothing for the seller. There is absolutely zero support on returns for the seller. The buyer holds all the cards. And the new policy changes are nothing great for the seller. I am so tired of Ebay not supporting us sellers!!! I am going to sell off what I have and quit selling on here. I changed to a store to get lower fees and I end paying 10% on average to Ebay. I paid that before,when I was just an average Joe. Ebay really needs to change some policies to be more in the sellers favor. Ebay doesn't even follow sellers rules that we set up. It doesn't matter what the sellers policies are,Ebay does whatever they want. Zero,Zero support to sellers!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

100% agree.   as a seller, we're screwed.  anybody can buy anything, use it, break it, destroy it, then simply return it for any reason.  E**bleep** will give them their money back, and take it out of our account AND make us pay return shipping.   Californian libtards...  why is CA the toilet of the US ??  Why does TX stand tall ?

I just gave you the answer.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

This return policy is going to RUIN me. I can only stay slightly competitive in my nitch as long as I get my top rated seller discount. That can NO longer happen thank you E-bay. I sell USED PROJECTORS that have a lamp that is a CONSUMABLE item. I am being forced to give a 30 day money back guarantee on a part that is an EXPENSIVE CONSUMABLE PART - Sort of like printer ink. ON TOP OF THAT. I sell USED PROJECTORS - A projector rental runs about $150 for three days - So during things like March Madness why would someone pay $150 for a three day projector rental when they can pay $150, get a projector for 30 days, and then return it for a FULL REFUND ???? THIS HAS ALREADY HAPPENED MORE THEN ONCE. A few hundred hours are used on a projector - it's been returned at my expense when they say it was defective, and I get a perfectly good working projector back that has logged a few hundred hours over 2 weeks and now it will turn into 4 weeks. The extra hours on the BUBL make it less markatable and WORTH LESS.  Every Year E-bay does more and more to RUIN my business and I am now looking at Craigs list and Amazon, I am just so tired of BENDING OVER and watching E-bay cater to the buyers and set sellers up for being ABUSED by ther LIBERAL return policys

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Buyers are eBay's customers, not any particular seller's customers.  Without venue rules that apply to all sellers, buyers would buy elsewhere where the venue takes care of their issues when sellers cry about having to issue refunds.  Do a risk analysis before you list.

Running a business involves risks.  You take the risk, and you reap the reward and pay the losses, which are known as business expenses.  Returns are a very minor part of selling, and online sellers incur much LESS loss than physical stores.  The risk is yours to anticipate, fund, and administer...not eBay's.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

You are wrong E-bay sell nothing how can they have customers.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

The definition of a customer is a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business. Therefore the customers for eBay are the sellers. eBay makes zero dollars from buyers, they make their money from the sellers. Now a seller can't make money with out the buyers but eBay makes money whether or not the buyers buy anything. As for your risk part of your comment is spot on.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@mongerdirect wrote:

The definition of a customer is a person or organization that buys goods or services from a store or business. Therefore the customers for eBay are the sellers. eBay makes zero dollars from buyers, they make their money from the sellers. Now a seller can't make money with out the buyers but eBay makes money whether or not the buyers buy anything. As for your risk part of your comment is spot on.

Well said!    Ebay 's  New  Ceo does view  sellers as ebays customers  . However  it has not  been pushed down   line to rest of ebays employees ,Since the old former Ceo  has been gone .  It was the OLD CEO was a buyer first  , and did not care about sellers getting scamed.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@playerpianomusic wrote:

This return policy is going to RUIN me. I can only stay slightly competitive in my nitch as long as I get my top rated seller discount. That can NO longer happen thank you E-bay. I sell USED PROJECTORS that have a lamp that is a CONSUMABLE item. I am being forced to give a 30 day money back guarantee on a part that is an EXPENSIVE CONSUMABLE PART - Sort of like printer ink. ON TOP OF THAT. I sell USED PROJECTORS - A projector rental runs about $150 for three days - So during things like March Madness why would someone pay $150 for a three day projector rental when they can pay $150, get a projector for 30 days, and then return it for a FULL REFUND ???? THIS HAS ALREADY HAPPENED MORE THEN ONCE. A few hundred hours are used on a projector - it's been returned at my expense when they say it was defective, and I get a perfectly good working projector back that has logged a few hundred hours over 2 weeks and now it will turn into 4 weeks. The extra hours on the BUBL make it less markatable and WORTH LESS.  Every Year E-bay does more and more to RUIN my business and I am now looking at Craigs list and Amazon, I am just so tired of BENDING OVER and watching E-bay cater to the buyers and set sellers up for being ABUSED by ther LIBERAL return policys

Ebay is still running a new return policy  currently with number of sellers  .it does give the seller  back  like before 2008  . Sellers can charger return shipping label out of buyers refund  ,and restock fee ,can report buyer for return abuse . sellers have 6 days for inspection on return items before refund.   ebay wants sellers to deal with phoney SNADS  .

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I see both eBay employees that read English gave you Kudo's.  Excuse me if I don't think your analysis is reasonable.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@tdebuys wrote:

I see both eBay employees that read English gave you Kudo's.  Excuse me if I don't think your analysis is reasonable.

Well said.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

YOU are so Right!  EBAY treats our sales as if our merchandise is their merchandise and gives buyers AN IRON GLAD  guarantee at our expense.  IF they are EBAY's customers let eBay pay all the costs of selling to them.  In fact they should be paying me for all the time it takes to offer an item for sale.

I really love those that say raise your prices to cover all of eBay's demands and you'll be fine.  Then eBay sends me a notice for items that didn't sell that I need to lower prices, give free shipping, free return shipping, etc.  Neat HOW THEY GET TO ARGUE BOTH WAYS.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

WRONG!

Returns are NOT just "a minor part of selling".

They are a major factor in how a seller operates his or her business.

Amazon just sent out warning letters to buyers telling them that they will loose their account if there are too many returns.

Manufacturers have instituted STRICT "repair only" and LIMITED returns policies.

Pioneer (as an example) will ONLY take back up to %2 of the goods you buy from them PERIOD (and that includes good or bad items)

Ingram and D&H (2 biggest distributors in the USA) have STRICT 30 dau returns policies and match serial numbers before issuing credit.

ALL manufactorers make you send the item back for inspection BEFORE they refund you anything if at all - and its THEIR word NOT YOURS that is the final word on the topic.

Sure if you are Macys or Walmart you have the JUICE to puch stuff back on people - you just deduct it from the invoice thats due and tell them to "take it or else". %99 of us cant do that, we just cant.

The world that Amazon created doesnt work for small independant sellers and THAT is what eBay was (supposed to be) about.

eBay does NOT equal AMazon and they did just fine before the MBA's with no experience showed up in 2007 and convinced management to turn eBay into something its not.

I like everyone else here can take the risk and "have homes for" the items that are TRUELY defective (SNAD), but not when it comes to "other" reasons. Its unfair, its unwarranted and the policy isnt based on ANY kind of reality.

Yes a sane return policy is needed - no buyer deserves to be ripped off, should be ripped off or slighted in their purchase(s). They do need to confidence to be able to buy an item and get what they paid for. Arguing though, that the pants they bought are NOT "midnight blue" but just "navy blue", or "I changed my mind (3 weeks into the sale) " is not something that has a place on / in an open marketplace.

Let buyers pick and choose people based on the sellers abilities and flexibilities in the listings. Maybe theres a seller who can "eat" buyers remorse, maybe theres some that can do 7 days, or 15 days but not 30. Cavet Emptor, not USSR.

Is eBay a managed marketplace or as they say at other times "just a venue" ... guess it depends in what are they tell you - convince you - lie to you about.

Its nothing different then when eBay sticks ou **bleep** greedy palm and takes FVF on shipping, but then take no responsibility when something goes wrong. If you are gonna take money for it - then you should have skin in the game.

But the eBay game is all take and no give - and thats why people here complain as they do. They would like a little parity and fairness - especially when you are telling people they need to take losses "willy nilly" just cause someone somewhere said so. THAT is not how any sane person runs a business.

Lastly, you claim RETURNS are not such a big loss/deal - if so - why does eBay have so many complaints and issues with it? If its all nothing, then let the sellers handle it - the answer is that its NOT a small thing - not at all. In 2014, Americans returned $68.8 billion worth of holiday goods - how much of that do you want smalll mom & pop eBay sellers to have to eat ???

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@theheadphonecompany wrote:

WRONG!

Returns are NOT just "a minor part of selling".

They are a major factor in how a seller operates his or her business.

Amazon just sent out warning letters to buyers telling them that they will loose their account if there are too many returns.

Manufacturers have instituted STRICT "repair only" and LIMITED returns policies.

Pioneer (as an example) will ONLY take back up to %2 of the goods you buy from them PERIOD (and that includes good or bad items)

Ingram and D&H (2 biggest distributors in the USA) have STRICT 30 dau returns policies and match serial numbers before issuing credit.

ALL manufactorers make you send the item back for inspection BEFORE they refund you anything if at all - and its THEIR word NOT YOURS that is the final word on the topic.

Sure if you are Macys or Walmart you have the JUICE to puch stuff back on people - you just deduct it from the invoice thats due and tell them to "take it or else". %99 of us cant do that, we just cant.

The world that Amazon created doesnt work for small independant sellers and THAT is what eBay was (supposed to be) about.

eBay does NOT equal AMazon and they did just fine before the MBA's with no experience showed up in 2007 and convinced management to turn eBay into something its not.

I like everyone else here can take the risk and "have homes for" the items that are TRUELY defective (SNAD), but not when it comes to "other" reasons. Its unfair, its unwarranted and the policy isnt based on ANY kind of reality.

Yes a sane return policy is needed - no buyer deserves to be ripped off, should be ripped off or slighted in their purchase(s). They do need to confidence to be able to buy an item and get what they paid for. Arguing though, that the pants they bought are NOT "midnight blue" but just "navy blue", or "I changed my mind (3 weeks into the sale) " is not something that has a place on / in an open marketplace.

Let buyers pick and choose people based on the sellers abilities and flexibilities in the listings. Maybe theres a seller who can "eat" buyers remorse, maybe theres some that can do 7 days, or 15 days but not 30. Cavet Emptor, not USSR.

Is eBay a managed marketplace or as they say at other times "just a venue" ... guess it depends in what are they tell you - convince you - lie to you about.

Its nothing different then when eBay sticks ou **bleep** greedy palm and takes FVF on shipping, but then take no responsibility when something goes wrong. If you are gonna take money for it - then you should have skin in the game.

But the eBay game is all take and no give - and thats why people here complain as they do. They would like a little parity and fairness - especially when you are telling people they need to take losses "willy nilly" just cause someone somewhere said so. THAT is not how any sane person runs a business.

Lastly, you claim RETURNS are not such a big loss/deal - if so - why does eBay have so many complaints and issues with it? If its all nothing, then let the sellers handle it - the answer is that its NOT a small thing - not at all. In 2014, Americans returned $68.8 billion worth of holiday goods - how much of that do you want smalll mom & pop eBay sellers to have to eat ???

Well Said!      Folks  ZAPPO's  is perfect example  of  Site  that  did 335 day returns and is  deep  hole  in the red in over in $ 6 million  dollars  worth of lose's   in return trashed  goods  !!!   That  how much longer they can keep their big merchants  before it is too late ! 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Zappos can afford the losses because they are part of Amazon.

Amazon like Walmart and others is one of the "800 pound gorillas" in the industry. When I worked as a buyer for a major electronics company in Manhattan - we did the same thing as they do.

The makers rep would walk in, sit down and discuss our "numbers". We would tell him/her about pricing, talk about deals, look at new upcomming products and then we would be asked about "an order".

We would then simply run a report on on hand defectives and shove it in their face(s). NO RMA ON THESE GOODS, NO NEW ORDER (free lunch or NO free lunch).

The makers and salespeople - desperate to make a sale (order)  did what they could to take back as much as they could. WE would ALWAYS stick our ground and make them take back as close to %100 as possible, PERIOD.

That is how the game is played if "you are one of the BIG boys".

However if you are ANYTHING but one of those people - you cant get your maker - no matter what you do - to play that game. Im direct with Casio - and theres NO WAY on gods green earth that I can "force them" to do buyers remorse OR to change their policy of REPAIR ONLY. "Because Devin Wenig said so" cuts no ice with any of them!

eBay is supposed to be a different kind of animal then Amazon - except for when its NOT.

Smaller sellers cant afford to deal with arbitrary losses "just because"...... New Seller outreach my "you know what!".

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

It's much larger than the 30 day return. I had a customer buy a laptop from me. Remove the security seal (he admitted it in an eBay message) and removed a motherboard, replacing it with a bad motherboard (he didnt admit that). After receiving the laptop back, I contacted eBay, they closed the case in my favor.

End of story? Nope. He then went to PAYPAL where they gladly refunded his money stating to me that I would have to take him to court to retrieve my losses... 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply