cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Javascript, Flash, Object, Embed, WebForms, Active Content going away

The use of active content in listings, including JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins and form actions, inhibits purchases on mobile devices and can lead to abuse in the marketplace. Beginning with the Spring 2017 Seller Update, eBay will limit the use of active content in all new listings across all devices and it will not be rendered by default. By the Fall Seller Update 2017, we plan to remove or block listings with active content. We encourage you to limit your use of active content now. We will provide more information later this year about which functionality will be limited and provide the specific timing in early 2017. We also are working closely with our third-party partners in cases where they use active content on your item descriptions or stores.

Many listings use javascript to position and activate content with onclick events and mouseovers, like menus and terms tabs. Many have promotional galleries, photo galleries, and such.

I urge eBay to create and embed a tool in the listing process to remove that content instead of sending violation notices.  I understand that eBay will work on a method to bring YouTube videos back into the page.

In the meantime, I have been working on a free tool that will identify this content and return a script-free version for you to use, for those who have no other method of locating and eliminating the content. You can @shipscript me if you need to use the tool.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@shipscript wrote:

The use of active content in listings, including JavaScript, Flash, plug-ins and form actions, inhibits purchases on mobile devices and can lead to abuse in the marketplace. Beginning with the Spring 2017 Seller Update, eBay will limit the use of active content in all new listings across all devices and it will not be rendered by default. By the Fall Seller Update 2017, we plan to remove or block listings with active content. We encourage you to limit your use of active content now. We will provide more information later this year about which functionality will be limited and provide the specific timing in early 2017. We also are working closely with our third-party partners in cases where they use active content on your item descriptions or stores.

Many listings use javascript to position and activate content with onclick events and mouseovers, like menus and terms tabs. Many have promotional galleries, photo galleries, and such.

I urge eBay to create and embed a tool in the listing process to remove that content instead of sending violation notices.  I understand that eBay will work on a method to bring YouTube videos back into the page.

In the meantime, I have been working on a free tool that will identify this content and return a script-free version for you to use, for those who have no other method of locating and eliminating the content. You can @shipscript me if you need to use the tool.

Shipscript,

Thanks. And our intent is not to send violation notices but to prevent the use of active content. We are providing notice now so sellers and thir party providers can adapt to this change. And, later this month we will provide sellers a tool that they can use to determine if they have any active content, and if they do, what is the impact to their listing when we prevent it's use - we will not prevent the listing from going up, just the active content - in 2017.

Thanks

Brian

Join us at eBay Open this September! eBay.com/ebayopen
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks. And our intent is not to send violation notices but to prevent the use of active content. We are providing notice now so sellers and thir party providers can adapt to this change. And, later this month we will provide sellers a tool that they can use to determine if they have any active content, and if they do, what is the impact to their listing when we prevent it's use - we will not prevent the listing from going up, just the active content - in 2017.

Thanks

Brian

I have a custom template on both store and for listings. It uses javascript for a drop down menu that leads to shipping terms, contact, etc.  So if I do nothing, in 2017, my items will still display correctly except for the javascript menu?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

And what alternative would ebay suggest to sellers that include audio recordings on their listings of the media being offered?  That obviously increases the chance of a sale and keeps returns to nearly zero. Seems every step is being taken by ebay to reduce the chances of a smooth transaction. (By also limiting the viewable text decription to 250 characters....unless the listing is under 800 characters...that's some stupid mumbo-jumbo.) So a full description on the item along with specific shipping information crammed into minimal bare-bones detail is going to help the buying/selling experience? How so? I know flash players will be banned, but will hyperlinks no longer work as well once this "hinderance" is enforced?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

home-gym-bodybuilding wrote
I have a custom template on both store and for listings. It uses javascript for a drop down menu that leads to shipping terms, contact, etc.  So if I do nothing, in 2017, my items will still display correctly except for the javascript menu?

@home-gym-bodybuilding

As far as I can tell, it looks like your template will display fine. But if you have more than one embedded photo, the thumbnail rollover won't work .  You can use this tool to preview your listings:

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContent_support/ScanActiveContent.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@manroot79 wrote:

... will hyperlinks no longer work as well once this "hinderance" is enforced?

You bring up a good point about whether links can be added to videos and audios. In the Mobile App for iPhone, clicking a link jumped out of the App and opened a browser window.  However, in the latest release, links do not function. I don't know if that was a bug or purposeful. brian_burke@ebay

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@home-gym-bodybuilding

Also, your terms tabs will not function. You will need to reconfigure those.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I love how everything in society has to be stupified to satisy the cell phone crowd.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@shipscript
1st I wanted to Thank you because you tagged me on another post with pictures of the description on the mobile device.
I have been looking for it & just haven't found the post again to tag & Thank you
Also wanted to ask about my scrolling gallery from Auctiva in my listings I guess as of 2017 I can't use them anymore?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@labs118

Yes, your Auctiva gallery will be invalid this time next year and eBay will hide it (not render it) in all new listings. About six months after that (~18 months from now), you will need to remove the code from all your existing listings. I believe Auctiva has a removal tool to help. eBay may provide an alternative promo capability and Auctiva may implement that in some measure. However, eBay has no clear path yet to that alternative.  Thus, I would not start editing any listings for several months.

If you want to see how one of your listings will appear with all Active Content removed, you can use this online tool.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContent_support/ScanActiveContent.htm

Photo Gallery: For those removing click-to-enlarge (carousel, rollover, mouseover, clicpic) photo galleries of self-hosted photos, I will have a Responsive CSS Photo Gallery maker that will create gallery code that automatically adapts to any screen size. Just drop in your old picture code and the tool will pick out your original photos that you can use to generate the new gallery. For CSS-coders, only a single width selection need be added to media queries. Should be ready in a week or so.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@shipscript

Auctive changed their Flash based gallery to a HTML5 based gallery months ago and made it the default. Is the new HTML5 banned?

On another similar note, Seller Source Book has stated that their HTML gallery is not active content and ok.

SSB Showcase is Compliant

With recent eBay announcements for Fall 2017 there have been questions if the SSB Showcase will be affected. eBay has stated in their announcement they recommend the discontinuance of scrolling galleries which use JavaScript and Flash.

Wishing to make sure that our Showcase was always viable on mobile devices we have already transitioned away from a Flash showcase to an HTML5 showcase. As such our Showcase no longer contains the type of Active Content code eBay recommends sellers should avoid - Flash or JavaScript. All your new listings since the end of March contain the new showcase.

If you currently have older GTC listings or relisted items, they would contain our old showcase. Over time you will want to adjust those listings but it is not required by eBay that you do so immediately.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@pocomocomputing

@shipscript

Sorry guys/gals
1st pocomococomputing 1st line  of your post Auctive ? thinking this is Auctiva Correct? Thanks

So  SSB says they are ok with ebays new requirements , Should I be contacting Auctiva customer service ?
I know I have time here but want to be ready for this change
Thanks as always for any help

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

@pocomocomputing

@shipscript

Sorry guys/gals
1st pocomococomputing 1st line  of your post Auctive ? thinking this is Auctiva Correct? Thanks

So  SSB says they are ok with ebays new requirements , Should I be contacting Auctiva customer service ?

Yes, I mean Auctiva. Spellcheck got me.

I made an Auctiva support case last night and they misunderstood my question on Active content so I replied and hope to get an answer today.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@labs118 wrote:

@pocomocomputing

@shipscript

Sorry guys/gals

I made an Auctiva support case last night and they misunderstood my question on Active content so I replied and hope to get an answer today.

Oh great then rather then contacting them should I just wait & you can post here if you don't mind ?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@labs118 wrote:

@pocomocomputing

@shipscript

Sorry guys/gals

Oh great then rather then contacting them should I just wait & you can post here if you don't mind ?

Auctiva replied back that they are aware of the 2016 Spring Seller Update and the changes for active content. They will be working with ebay to get more details on what is allowed. So basically Auctiva does not have an answer if their showcase is okay or not. Not enough details from ebay as to what is allowed or not.

I think the Seller Source Book announcement that their showcase is okay is premature. The new showcase is HTML5 based and does not have Flash based showcase so SSB may think that all they have to do is not have flash. There may be more to it than just Flash.

The active content change does not take effect until 2017 so there is time for everyone to figure out what is allowed or not as eBay defines exactly what can be used. It is just too early for any firm answers.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply