cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fine Jewelry Industry Standards

Good day,

What associations or recognized International group(s) would be listed as those trending the Industry Standards you are attempting to conform with for the category of 'Fine Jewelry"?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

This is the Number 2 recognized association or international group:

numerous large eBay jewelry sellers

Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

This is the Number 2 recognized association or international group:

numerous large eBay jewelry sellers

Smiley LOL  Smiley LOL

If ebay retail and wholesale sellers, both or either, domestic and foreign, are setting the 'industry standard' for 'Fine Jewelry', the world is in BIG trouble.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

That is EXACTLY who is setting the STANDARDS, ebay sellers...

NO actually it is ebay that is setting the STANDARDS as the NEW STANDARD is what ebay is ALLOWING to be listed in FINE JEWELRY even BEFORE this category change....

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@gsn13579 wrote:

NO actually it is ebay that is setting the STANDARDS as the NEW STANDARD is what ebay is ALLOWING to be listed in FINE JEWELRY even BEFORE this category change....

So, just anybody can set 'Industry Standards' with no regard to actual value or worth.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

"Sellers have also told us that the eBay logo creates an impression of value."

I think ebay should make it mandatory that all 'Fine Jewelry' should have to be shipped in boxes with the 'ebay' logo on them.  I'm sure that that 'IMPRESSION' of value will do wonders for their bottom line.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@gsn13579 wrote:

So, just anybody can set 'Industry Standards' with no regard to actual value or worth.

According to ebay, or the  ebay blue it APPEARS that is so....Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

If ebay retail and wholesale sellers, both or either, domestic and foreign, are setting the 'industry standard' for 'Fine Jewelry', the world is in BIG trouble.

I agree with all of the comments...but the one above most of all.  Did you all notice that "brass plated gold" is a Fashion Jewelry item?  ROFL

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I agree with all of the comments...but the one above most of all.  Did you all notice that "brass plated gold" is a Fashion Jewelry item?  ROFL

No no no!   It has some gold in there somewhere so it is "fine"  LOL...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Sorry guys, I know I put much of this in another post.  I just hoped putting it here would increase the odds that an eBay employee would find it.

@eBay

Regarding changes made to the Jewelry Policy and categories:  Despite one of your employee's comments, these changes were not intended to be accurate, not to follow industry standards, nor to follow FTC guidelines, nor to provide the Buyers with a good experience either shopping or buying - that is clearly obvious.

Ebay employees are not qualified to dictate Industry Standards nor interpret the nuances of a specialized category, like jewelry or collectibles, that require experience and education to gather the knowledge necessary to do so.  One is not going to get that in a few meetings. If you set out to destroy what little reputation you have left with Buyers, you could not have picked a better category to damage.  People have expectations that cannot be changed on your (or your Chinese Partners) whim.

The following statement are time-honored jewelry buyer expectations: Fine jewelry is intended to be an investment, at the least, and is collected and treasured for more than one lifetime and must stand the test of time...hence the use of fine metals, high-level construction and high grade stones; Fashion jewelry is expected to be replaced or discarded during the owner's lifetime and is not constructed with high cost or high grade materials.  Period.  No other definition is acceptable to a buyer.

Fine Jewelry is defined by more than just the sum of it's components.  Labor intensive works of art made with base metals & less than precious stones can be classified as fine jewelry. 

Re: GF or SF: the term is Fill, not filled, these are not empty vessels getting filled.  Gold or Silver-fill jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold (or silver), which must constitute at least 5% of the item's total weight, mechanically bonded to another metal, usually a base metal. It is used for jewelry that is intended to last more than one lifetime (fine) yet provide an economical alternative to solid gold or silver.  Many 'fine' pieces are made of just this metal with no stones, yet according to your policy they will be put in Fashion.

Plate is significantly less of the item's total weight, approx 0.05%.  Plating is easily worn off or damaged - which is why it has traditionally been considered only suitable for Fashion Jewelry that is expected to be replaced as fashions change.  No one puts high grade stones in plated settings.  

Gemstones and beads:  Are you not aware that stones & beads are graded?  For a stone or bead to be considered "Fine" it MUST be on the high end of the grading scale - it is not just the name/type that makes it 'fine'. SMH.  

PS: No one plates fine metals with base metals - it is ridiculous that you made rules covering a non-existent circumstance and have confused so many people by doing so.

I could go on, but I am sure that others would be happy to discuss other instances where you have dropped the ball - a bowling ball on a glass table top.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

anpand0

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Ah, the hills are alive with the sound of ...... crickets.

I guess with the topic being 'officially' closed by ebay and 'unofficially' extended by somebody, the questions can now be ignored.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

I guess with the topic being 'officially' closed by ebay and 'unofficially' extended by somebody, the questions can now be ignored.

Pretty sure you are correct

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@thin-icedancer wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Pretty sure you are correct

Hmmmmm.  I wonder if they were just making up all that stuff about the 'experts'?

Just another "urban ebay myth", as some are fond of pointing out?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Does anyone out there know if China owns any of the eBay stock???I really have to wonder because of the junk they sell on all sites and are continuing to flood these sites with more junk and eBay just keeps letting it happen. They seem to be able to get eBay to change standards (such as the fine jewelry standards) to represent  this junk as being something other  than  what it actually is. .....Wonder where all your free listings are going? The Chinese are using eBay  computer space for their stuff. Doesn't take an computer genius to derive at that conclusion......So American small time sellers (the originals that made eBay great) are thrown under the bus.....Just my thoughts for the day......And people quit buying that junk, throw your money away on more useful items.....If there are NO sales then maybe the Chinese junk will decrease and that would be a plus for all the American eBayer's in more ways than one........ 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply