eBay Canceled Sale After Shipment — What Should I Do?
Summary: malikot1 is seeking advice after eBay canceled a high-value transaction, stating the buyer is no longer registered, despite the shipped item being in transit. They’re unsure whether to intercept the package or let it continue to eBay’s Authenticity Guarantee facility, noting the discrepancy between eBay's email and their Payments activity. 12345jamesstamps suggests allowing the item to proceed to authentication, as typically sellers keep the payment in such scenarios, while albertabrightalberta reassures that if policies were followed, the money should be retained. thelongball shares advice about being prepared for potential losses but believes with proper tracking, all should end well for malikot1.
I received an email from eBay stating that they canceled a high-value transaction because the buyer is no longer registered on eBay. The problem is that I had already shipped the item before receiving eBay's notification.
The item is a few thousand dollars watch being shipped through eBay's Authenticity Guarantee program. USPS tracking currently shows that it has left the Los Angeles Distribution Center and is in transit to the authentication facility.
I'm trying to determine the safest course of action:
Should I try to intercept the package through USPS and have it returned to me, since eBay specifically instructed me not to complete the transaction?
Or should I let it continue to the Authenticity Guarantee facility, where I assume eBay will identify the issue with the buyer and determine what happens to the watch?
If the watch does proceed through authentication and ultimately gets delivered to the buyer, will eBay still honor the transaction and release the $$$ currently being held for authentication?
The confusing part is that my Payments activity still shows the order as "Funds on hold: awaiting authentication,"while eBay's email says the buyer is no longer registered and the transaction was canceled. I have also received credits for the Final Value Fees.
I obviously want to protect both the watch and the payment, so I'm hesitant to make the wrong decision while the package is still in transit.
What would you experienced sellers recommend—intercept the package now, or allow it to proceed to authentication?
Thanks everyone for your feedback and support!
thelongball
·1 month agoHave heard this advice many times before but it is so true.
Never sell something you can't afford to lose on.
I had to learn it the hard way.
On this one you should come out ok but make sure your tracking # is uploaded.
albertabrightalberta
·1 month ago · Edited@malikot1
You're fine. That happens occasionally and as long as you followed policy, you'll keep the money.
ETA: I should add that as long as tracking shows delivery to the authenticator, you'll be fine. They'll probably end up keeping the watch and sending it to the liquidation sellers with whom they contract and they'll resell the watch while you keep the money.
12345jamesstamps
·1 month agoAllow it to proceed to authentication.
It should return to you...
Here's the tricky part...you might get the item back as well as keep the payment.
Not sure how this works in 'authentication'...but normally seller keeps the payment.
I have had a lot where eBay never took the funds...before or after item shipped.
Funds on hold...not sure why that is unless you are an infrequent or new seller or you normally don't sell expensive items.