Seller wants ME to cancel order due to their problem (out of stock)
Seller does that so that I can't leave a negative feedback. I told the seller to cancel on his side which is the right way to do, but he is not doing it, holding my money hostage. What can I do?
Seller told me they are out of stock 11 days after I ordered and only after I asked! This is a bad seller, and the community needs to know it through feedback.
8 comments
simba6
·5 months agoSit tight and let them squirm. They will get dinged for lat shipping if they don't deal with it.
gosimus
·5 months agoThat could have been a mistake, because it could be construed as your "telling" the seller to cancel, which then he could choose "Buyer's request" as the reason. I recommend saying nothing except "I'm waiting for my item." and I'd say that only once. I hope you didn't shoot yourself in the foot.
If he does choose buyer request, I'd report it. The following directions, originally posted by one of my colleagues, were so good that I borrowed them. I have updated them, to incorporate changes in the selections that eBay has made since then.
• Go to https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022
• On the first page, scroll down and click the blue Report a seller button
• Next page, select Suspicious seller activity > Continue
• Next page, select Seller doesn’t want to complete the sale then
• Enter the seller's username, then in the text box write
The seller used an invalid reason for cancelling the transaction. Check my messages. I did not request canceling the transaction. The seller selected that option to avoid a Defect on their account.
ryry-jj
·5 months agoJust sit tight and file a INR case after the estimated arrival date passes. The only correspondence I'd have with the seller is, "thank you, I'm looking forward to receiving my item"
kensgiftshop
·5 months agoIs it the seller from Morocco, dropshipping from Amazon?
albertabrightalberta
·5 months agoIf the seller does end up canceling and uses the reason that "buyer requested," report the seller.
bonanza125
·5 months agoListen carefully do not cancel on your behalf. As someone else said they are trying to avoid a defect. You need to wait and file an "item not received" case once the estimated delivery date has past. Which should be soon if not already has if you waited 11 days. Then eventually either the seller will refund you or you wait 4 days then have Ebay step in. This is on the seller. Unfortunately you will come across sellers like this.
css2001
·5 months agoThis seller does not want an out of stock defect. This is their mistake and they need to cancel, not you.
mtgraves7984
·5 months ago@scattrack
Is it too early to open an Item Not Received claim?