need help on claims
Summary: jay7719 is seeking advice on handling a buyer's request for a refund on an item delayed in transit by USPS. They confirmed that the item is currently at the buyer's local distribution facility. Now, the buyer has shifted from requesting a refund to asking about a return due to changed circumstances and despite a no return policy. lady_madonna advises that if the buyer hasn't received the item and the reason for the return is "changed my mind” or "don’t need anymore," the seller can decline the return request under eBay guidelines.
Hello, I need clarification regarding an open Item Not Received request.
I responded to the buyer the same day the request was opened and explained that the order was shipped on time using USPS Ground Advantage, which was the shipping service selected by the buyer. USPS accepted the package, but it was delayed while in transit.
I immediately submitted an official USPS Missing Mail Search. The package has since been located, and tracking now shows it at the buyer’s local distribution facility, so delivery should occur soon.
The buyer is still requesting a refund. Since the package is actively moving toward delivery, what are my options as the seller? If I do not issue a refund while delivery is pending, what action might eBay take when the request deadline arrives? Will the request close in my favor once tracking confirms delivery?
I want to handle this correctly while avoiding a situation where the buyer receives both a full refund and the item.
jay7719
OP2 weeks agoand buyer has just asked me if i can accept a return instead since the mower he is using the part for that has not arrived yet won't be needed. i have a no return policy stated, but he has changed his mind from refund to return now that the tracking has updated in transit through two different facilities
lady_madonna
Mentor2 weeks agoHas the buyer closed the Refund Request?
Has the buyer filed an official Return Request through Ebay?
If so, what is the reason they entered in the Return Request?
The reasons "changed my mind" and "don't need anymore" are not valid reasons per the Ebay Money Back Guarantee, so you can decline the request if you wish.
Obviously they cannot return the item if they have not received it yet.
jay7719
OP2 weeks agoThank you. To clarify, the buyer has not closed the Item Not Received request, and no official return request has been filed.
The only open request is the Item Not Received case opened September 18. I uploaded the tracking and submitted a USPS Missing Mail Search. Since then, USPS has located the package, it has received new physical scans, and it is now at the buyer’s local distribution facility.
The buyer then messaged me asking whether I would accept a return after it arrives because his customer canceled the mower repair. Therefore, the part is no longer needed; the buyer has not claimed that it is defective, damaged, or not as described. My listing states that returns are not accepted.
My main questions are:
If tracking confirms delivery while the Item Not Received request is still open, should that request be closed in my favor based on the delivery scan?
Do I need to take any action other than keeping the tracking attached to the request?
After delivery, may I decline a separate return request if the buyer selects “changed my mind” or “no longer needed”?
If I decline that change-of-mind return, would any related negative feedback qualify for removal?
I understand that the package must be delivered before it can actually be returned. I am trying to understand how the current Item Not Received request and a possible future buyer-remorse return should each be handled.