How would I get seller to do the partial refund to cancel the return
Summary: cavestdealor is experiencing issues with a seller on eBay who initially offered them a $15 refund and later agreed to a $40 refund, conditional on canceling the return. cavestdealor seeks advice because they were told canceling would close the case and their attempts to contact eBay customer service have been unsuccessful. inceptions advises waiting three business days before asking eBay to step in, as eBay will enforce a refund. cavestdealor managed to speak to an eBay agent who suggested the seller authorize a partial refund. The seller agreed to a $50 refund privately, which cavestdealor declined, suspecting a scam. inceptions advises contacting eBay again to force a resolution.
First the seller offered to a $15 partial refund which I did not accept. Later, he agreed to a $40 refund and said he could not do at his end unless I cancel the return.
He also said he has no option available and would honor that agreement, which mean it would be post cancelling the return.
I don't buy that as my payment is on hold.
I have been advised not to cancel as it would close the case. How can I get an eBay agent to deal with it?
Contacting eBay customer services with the steps provided here by community does not work at all.
It is just taking me to a loop and back to the beginning.
Is there a phone number I can call or an email I can send to?
inceptions
Mentor1 month agoHi @cavestdealor
It sounds like the seller is either scamming you or doesn't know what he's doing. You can't cancel a transaction after the item has been received.
What I would do is contact the seller no further, and go back to the case on day 4 and use the option to ask eBay to step in. eBay will force a full refund and allow you to keep the item.
cavestdealor
OP1 month agoI think the seller was trying to scam me. On our messages, he did not say specifically he would refund but saying accept and honor our agreement.
So you say, ask eBay step in only active after the 4th days and not sooner?
inceptions
MentorSep 11, 2026 at 4:18 PM@cavestdealor
You have to give the seller 3 full business days to respond, so you can ask eBay to step in on day 4.
cavestdealor
OPSep 11, 2026 at 6:11 PMYou missed my point. Seller already responded but he said he could not issue partial refund unless I cancel the return request.
inceptions
MentorSep 11, 2026 at 6:27 PMWhen I wrote "responded" I meant by either accepting the return or issuing the refund through the case.
If it has been over 3 business days since opening the case, have you gone back to look for the option to ask eBay to step in?
cavestdealor
OPSep 11, 2026 at 8:48 PMI did. eBay just take me to a loop, go here , go there, then back to where I started. Never offer a page to explain what the problem and a solution I am seeking. Thanks
inceptions
MentorSep 12, 2026 at 2:50 AM@cavestdealor
Are you going to the return case? Do you see an option there to ask eBay to step in?
Has it been more than 3 days since you opened the case? If not, it's too early to ask eBay to step in.
disneyshopper
Mentor1 month agoYou can also contact customer service by sending a PRIVATE message on social media. Customer service verifies your identity before responding. Include your name, ebay user ID, email address. Someone will contact you in a couple of days.
https://www.instagram.com/ebay/
cavestdealor
OPSep 11, 2026 at 6:09 PMI don't have instagram account and not intended to have onw.