cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 sets raised intersecting lines reverse eagle - 1869 Seated Half Dollar - not post mint damage

I have a 1969 Seated half Dollar with 2 very straight intersecting lines at  2 locations next to the reverse eagle.  Upon close inspection the intersecting lines are raised from the coins surface and the area of intersection appears clear and continuous.  Since they are raised from the surface, I assume it's from the die and the coin was struck this way.  They are quite straight & precise and I'm thinking they were used to measure distance/angle or were caused by an employee defacing the reverse die for some reason??

The left side lines overlie the olive branch/leaves and the right side lines overlie an arrow tip.  The right side lines just touch the eagle's wing and the base of the "A".....perhaps there was a need for a measurement or angulation ?  Might that be the reason for their origin & location.

Any ideas?  Any opinions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

2 sets raised intersecting lines reverse eagle - 1869 Seated Half Dollar - not post mint damage

i'd have to see it in hand before agreeing that it's as minted... weirder things have left the mint, but nothing like that that i'm aware of...

Message 2 of 2
latest reply